*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Looks like a pretty reasonable diet, assuming the 1g of almonds is supposed to be 100g? :p

what are the macros behind this diet, seems to be very carb heavy, although not a bad thing if you handle carbs well.

Also if your aiming to get shift the fat and your happy doing cardio work why dont you switch up the 20 mins on the bike with a HIIT session.

Look in to HIIT as there are plenty of articles out there to support its benefits at extended fat burning etc.

Your weight and height are similar to mine when i was first starting out, shouldnt be to long before you start seeing gains and reductions in the right places :D

To quench my sweet tooth after diner, I eat fruit. Today I had a tangerine, some pineapple and a handful of grapes.

This is fine right? No need to be too anal and drop them?

Also at the moment Im at the gym 6 times a week, 3 Full Body routines, and 3 cardio sessions.

On the wednesday I have a driving lesson. Technically I could get the instructor to drop me off at the gym and I could do a cardio session then.

Should I just take the day off?

Man of Honour
For your deadlift, try thinking about your organisation on the floor slightly differently. Before each rep starts, everything should be tight and locked down with just less than enough tension to separate the plates from the floor. Once that's achieved, explode up.

Squats look decent, nice and speedy. Try to smooth out the movement a bit though.

Soldato
Like icecold says, crushing strength doesn't seem to translate to grip strength very well. I got some 200lb heavy gripz and I could do them not long after getting them (I have tiny girl hands aswell) but there's no chance I could hold onto 200lbs with one hand.

I'd stick to static holds for now.

Crushing grip will save my life though :D I do submission grappling :)

I've got plenty of static work in my arsenal along with farmers walks, finger extensors, wrist rollers/curlers and I climb on climbing walls a fair bit :) I'm definately getting a gripper, it was just a question of which one ^^

I'll dive in and get the 2 and let you know how horribly it goes ^^

Man of Honour
It would be interesting to see how my static grip strength carried over to crushing scenarios... I'm going to guess not optimally.

Yes, please do let us know how it goes!

Soldato
Is it me or is there quite a lot of back rounding in your deadlifts Syla?

I'm sure if it was really bad then Icecold would have picked up on it but it looks a bit iffy to me? Not that I'm an expert or anything. :o

I only say because it is what I was doing before; the lower back was lifting before the rest of the body was moving.

Associate
Damn, too late. I was going to say that you will most likely struggle with number 2. A friend got all of them free and brought them in to the gym so we all had a go. It was ridiculous. As people have said crushing grip doesn't necessarily carry over but I rate my grip quite high, I've never had it fail and I used to be able to comfortably double over hand 180kg, and I could barely close the number one. I could just about manage a few reps with the grippers almost touching but that was it :p.

First real session in a week today as my deload turned into an off week :). I'm bloody knackered.

Soldato
Damn, too late. I was going to say that you will most likely struggle with number 2. A friend got all of them free and brought them in to the gym so we all had a go. It was ridiculous. As people have said crushing grip doesn't necessarily carry over but I rate my grip quite high, I've never had it fail and I used to be able to comfortably double over hand 180kg, and I could barely close the number one.

#1 is quite hard the first time i've you've not used proper grippers, but isn't that hard after a bit of practice. When i closed the #2 i used a combination of the #1 and #2 for training.

#2 IS hard, and took me a couple of months of dedicated training to close it, even though I was deadlifting over 200 at the time.

Soldato

I'm sure if it was really bad then Icecold would have picked up on it but it looks a bit iffy to me? Not that I'm an expert or anything. :o

I only say because it is what I was doing before; the lower back was lifting before the rest of the body was moving.

The back rounding is a work in progress it gets worse when I go heavy for my previous 2 sets that day my back was flat. The rounding for me is due to tightness/lack of flexibility that i am working on.

The weight is coming off the floor long before I am straight legged, a couple of issues with starting position being to low don't help the look of the movement.

All in all I defiantly have a long way to go before I nail perfect form but improvements are coming due to helpful feed back here. Also I get to train with LiE which helps :)

Funny thing about that DL video is that I asked a random in the gym to film me. He wouldn't look out of place standing on the door of an Abercrombie shop. Anyway he miss heard me and thought I asked him if I could film him doing a deadlift, his reply "I have never done one of those not sure I would get it right to show you" I just ignored it and got in to position

Soldato
This is fine right? No need to be too anal and drop them?

It really depends what your goals are. Without knowing the macros of the diet and your aims we can't say for sure, but there is no problem with fruit. If a thing I would sacrifice a slice of toast from your breakfast and have your fruit fix :)

Also at the moment Im at the gym 6 times a week, 3 Full Body routines, and 3 cardio sessions.

Should I just take the day off?
Enjoy the day off, your body will occasionally need a rest. Everyone is different but 6 days in the gym is quite a lot, but again it depends on your goals/aims

Man of Honour

He said he was aware of it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom