*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
haha that's proper ingenuity, getting them up to my chest isn't a major problem at the minute it's the getting them down as I tend to lower them to my side but my shoulders are in quite a weak position when I do it so they end up dropping the last couple of inches and bouncing off the floor.

Soldato
OK, well I am 5'8 and weigh about 75kg.

I am fairly weak and don’t have much muscle mass, but due to being of a Mediterranean heritage I have a fair amount of fat sitting on my stomach.

Its been estimated to be about 20% (i.e. two full rolls!!)

As for diet:

9am: 3 eggs scrambled, two brown toasts, cup of milk and a multi vitamin.

12pm: 1 gram of almonds

2pm: Pasta with chicken or baguette with chicken. (Today was a tuna baguette, and I brought the chicken breast with me.

6pm: Pre gym - Chicken breast sandwich (brown bread, light may, chicken and some salad leaves)

9pm: Post gym - Steak/fish/chicken - pasta/potatoes/sweet potato.

-----

On non weight days I drop the pre gym sandwich and just eat dinner at around 7.30pm.

I have no idea if I should eat anything (even a banana) before doing my cardio (20mins bike, 40mins power walk)

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking for some extra grip work and captains of crush have tempted me but I don't know what one to buy :( has anyone here used them or could recommend a level for me? I can pull 160ish with DOH in deadlift and around 220 with mixed.

Man of Honour
Muscle ups are awsome strength builders, i seen some serious gains by doing these every single day - - wait for weighted muscle ups then the fun begins :cool:
There is no strength being built that can't be done in other ways that won't trash your shoulders. There aren't many good reasons to do them, it's really limited to a) if you are doing some sort of crossfit comp, b) ego ;)
200kg tyre being collected this weekend :D
:eek::cool:

Nice, I'd love to play with that!
Looking for some extra grip work and captains of crush have tempted me but I don't know what one to buy :( has anyone here used them or could recommend a level for me? I can pull 160ish with DOH in deadlift and around 220 with mixed.

I'd tailor it to the kind of grip you want. So, if you want to be able to close your hand against resistance, go for the CoC. If you want to be able to hold onto a heavier bar for a longer time, stick to static hangs/holds.

dod

dod

Soldato
back day today. Gym was absolutely heaving so it wasn't great, an awful lot of younguns bouncing dumbells about.

Managed to get a space for most things apart from deadlifts, all the mats were being used :|

Soldato
I'd tailor it to the kind of grip you want. So, if you want to be able to close your hand against resistance, go for the CoC. If you want to be able to hold onto a heavier bar for a longer time, stick to static hangs/holds.

I need both but just don't want to waste money on a gripper that's too weak or too strong :D

Had an ask around the gym and no one has anything :/

Soldato
OK, well I am 5'8 and weigh about 75kg.

I am fairly weak and don’t have much muscle mass, but due to being of a Mediterranean heritage I have a fair amount of fat sitting on my stomach.

Its been estimated to be about 20% (i.e. two full rolls!!)

As for diet:

9am: 3 eggs scrambled, two brown toasts, cup of milk and a multi vitamin.

12pm: 1 gram of almonds

2pm: Pasta with chicken or baguette with chicken. (Today was a tuna baguette, and I brought the chicken breast with me.

6pm: Pre gym - Chicken breast sandwich (brown bread, light may, chicken and some salad leaves)

9pm: Post gym - Steak/fish/chicken - pasta/potatoes/sweet potato.

-----

On non weight days I drop the pre gym sandwich and just eat dinner at around 7.30pm.

I have no idea if I should eat anything (even a banana) before doing my cardio (20mins bike, 40mins power walk)

Looks like a pretty reasonable diet, assuming the 1g of almonds is supposed to be 100g? :p

what are the macros behind this diet, seems to be very carb heavy, although not a bad thing if you handle carbs well.

Also if your aiming to get shift the fat and your happy doing cardio work why dont you switch up the 20 mins on the bike with a HIIT session.

Look in to HIIT as there are plenty of articles out there to support its benefits at extended fat burning etc.

Your weight and height are similar to mine when i was first starting out, shouldnt be to long before you start seeing gains and reductions in the right places :D

Soldato
I need both but just don't want to waste money on a gripper that's too weak or too strong :D

Had an ask around the gym and no one has anything :/

Like icecold says, crushing strength doesn't seem to translate to grip strength very well. I got some 200lb heavy gripz and I could do them not long after getting them (I have tiny girl hands aswell) but there's no chance I could hold onto 200lbs with one hand.

I'd stick to static holds for now.

Associate
5 x 5 stronglifts

55kg Overhead Press
120kg dead lift
80kg Squat
Assisted Pull Ups
Core work out mixture of cable twists and pull downs*stacked the machine lol

Soldato
I have tried searching for similar threads, but I can't find one that manages to cover all bases. As such, welcome to this post.

I've been using the gym for the past couple of years, currently weighing in at 11st dead on, approx 5ft 9/10. I don't want to bulk up 3-4 stone and have arms like trunks.

What 3/4 day routine with cardio would you guys recommend?

Also, what supplements/diet? Obviously going to eat more fish, meat and protein in general. Less sugary food and no alcohol!

Man of Honour
5 x 5 stronglifts

55kg Overhead Press
120kg dead lift
80kg Squat
Assisted Pull Ups
Core work out mixture of cable twists and pull downs*stacked the machine lol
Cable twists :(
I have tried searching for similar threads, but I can't find one that manages to cover all bases. As such, welcome to this post.

I've been using the gym for the past couple of years, currently weighing in at 11st dead on, approx 5ft 9/10. I don't want to bulk up 3-4 stone and have arms like trunks.

What 3/4 day routine with cardio would you guys recommend?

Also, what supplements/diet? Obviously going to eat more fish, meat and protein in general. Less sugary food and no alcohol!
So what do you want?

Arms like tree trunks aren't going to happen by accident. Or, you know, steroids.

Soldato
Cable twists :(

So what do you want?

Arms like tree trunks aren't going to happen by accident. Or, you know, steroids.

Ideally to define my muscles more, build up strength and stamina. Think 100m runner rather than heavyweight boxer.

I can eat anything at any time, no probs cooking stuff at work!

Soldato
120kg deadlift x8 from friday, was pleased overall with my improved form especially at heavier weights, still a bit of back rounding i know but working on it.

squats 102.5kgx5 from last week, form is suffering so i have dropped weights and am working on volume and form rather then adding weight.

Things hampering my squats at the moment appear to be: tight prosterior chain (mainly hams)
Going to low without the flexibility.
Working on correcting my left foot as its nice and flat at the moment, which doesnt help my knees out as they tend to fold in very easily :(

so heres tonights effort of 80kg x12 (went on to do 85x10 and 90x10, volume is killer!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom