*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Many thanks for your reply LiE,

I'll stick to my usual. Change the diet a little. I try to do at least 15 minutes of interval training at least twice a week, but 3 times is probably a lot better, combined with a revised diet.

Kind regards,

David

Man of Honour
After putting some good effort in from mid November - January, I have slacked off for the past 6 weeks. I'm now down to 68kg @ 5ft10 and my god do I feel weak. I really need to put on some mass and I've no doubt I'm most likely actually even weaker than I feel :p

Passed my fitness test today and although it wasn't too challenging the slacking for the past 6 weeks has definitely taken its toll on my upper body and core. Going back to Stronglifts now, however it makes me cry having to put the weight so low after taking time off :( Benching over my bodyweight was a serious breakthrough for me (yes, weakling alert) and I was absolutely chuffed to reach that level in what was quite a short time, now it's kinda depressing going backwards :o I guess that's just what you get!

Man of Honour
Yeah hopefully.

I'm looking forward to using an actual real gym again, rather than what I had overseas which was an ISO container filled with machines :)(), no squat rack and a bench with catchers that were far too close together.

This meant using the steinborn lift to get the weight up there for squats, wider than usual grip for bench, and restricted OHP due to the low ceiling... just a mess basically!

Man of Honour
Sprints done. Found a nice incline to do them on near where I live.

5 min run to warm up, then:

30m rest on walk back to start
40m "
60m "

...at around 90%. Too high, felt it in my hamstrings a bit.

30m rest on walk back to start
40m "
60m "

... at around 80%. Better!

Enough for today, that is the first sprinting I've done in almost a year. Mechanics started to wobble towards the end, but my position actually felt really good due to actually having some semblance of hip mobility these days. Crucially, my ankle was completely solid. I think I'm going to have to find a decent stretch of flat surface to do max speed and acceleration stuff, hamstrings are clearly not ready.

Far more tiring than it should have been too!

Soldato
Making some pretty good progress on stronglifts, at week 8 now my squat is up to 72.5kg and DL at 90kg and still feel I could go heavier. The only thing that is sucking is my BOR, weight doesn't seem to be progressing the same as my other lifts. Plus I'm not 100% sure on my form.

Might add in some pull ups to supplement the SL routine.

Caporegime
Mixed session tonight. Squats were far easier than last week, thanks to the added confidence I gained from having a competent spotter, but shoulder press was no better than Friday which was disappointing because I didn't do as many sets before hand and didn't feel fatigued.

Upper body appears to have stalled in recent weeks whilst my lower body is progressing rapidly :confused:

Squats
100 x 5
130 x 5
160 x 5
190 x 5

Dumbbell Shoulder press

30s x 8
40s x 8
50s x 4 :mad:

Pull Ups
BW x 6
BW x 5
BW x 5

Leg Press
210 x 8
250 x 8
290 x 8
330 x 8
350 x 8

Calve Raises

210 x 12
215 x 12
220 x 12

Caporegime
To some extent

But you'll build mass far more quickly if you train for hypertrophy, than if you train for strength

I am training for hypertrophy, that's what the 5x10 reps exercises are for. It may be assistance work, but it is hypertrophy.

No, it doesn't :)

531 isn't really a beginners routine either. If you're still struggling with form other routines would be a better for your progression.

Ok, to be fair maybe saying bad form wasn't the correct term to use. Something just didnt feel right when doing the lifts, my knee had been playing up that day and before. So rather than injure myself going for more I stopped.

Soldato
Well my stats are all over since having a week off, although my lower back does feel a lot better :)

Squat - 70kg (Fixing form because of lower back rounding)
Bench - 80kg
BB Row - 62.5k (Deloaded after failing twice at 77.5kg)

Then finished off the morning with a quick session of HIIT.

Now to go work and curl up in a corner somewhere :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Tuesday was simple enough

Deads 3x3 - 150-160-180
OHP 3x5 - 55-57.5-60
Front Squat 3x5 - 80
Wide grip pullups BW - 10,8,7

Everything was easy enough :) Ended up going to my class in the evening and not dieing so that's a plus.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Leg session yesterday and did a PB on squat of 140KG for 5 clean reps, well chuffed as it felt lighter than I thought it would and think I could have done more reps but I stopped at 5 because that’s the number I had in my head when I started! Doh! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom