*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
There is no two ways about it my diet is so crap need to sort it out pronto feel its halting progress after putting on the initial 1.25 stones.

Might be worth checking your emails - MP are offering 10% off if you answer a survey - its account/emailed tied otherwise i would link it will make my straps a bit cheaper!

Soldato
Had an okay leg session, but I think I was most impressed with my 30 mins of cardio.

BB Deep Squats: 55kgx5, 55kgx5, 55kgx5, 65kgx5, 65kgx5
BB SLDL: 60kgx5, 60kgx5, 70kgx5, 90kgx5 mixed grip, 90kgx5 mixed grip
BB Standing Calf Raises: 60kgx5, 60kgx5, 70kgx5, 70kgx5 mixed grip, 90kgx5, mixed grip
DB Step-up lunges: 44kg, 10 reps (5 each side), 5 sets.
DB Goblet squats: 46kgx5, 46kgx5, 46kgx5, 50kgx5, 50kgx5
Seated Calf extensions (leg press machine): 55kgx5, 75kgx5, 95kgx5, 125kgx5, 165kgx5

Finished off with some interval work for 30 mins, 5 mins jog@8km/h 1 min run@13km/h with 5 min cooldown.

1 minute plank on some vibrate plate thing.

Hit the sauna, had a shower, and just had some chicken served with tomato sauce, leftover beef, and mash potato, yummy :)

I'm finding the goblet squats too easy. Perhaps I need to increase the reps...trouble is the dumb-bells only go to 50kg afaik and there are no kettle bells :(

Also the calf extension on the leg press isn't brilliant. I'll swap that for the donkey press lever machine (how can I forget those!).

Plan is to go to 9km/hour jog and 14km/h run for the 30 mins, increase weights all round and do 1 and a half minute planks on the vibrate plate thing next time.

Chest tomorrow and 30 mins interval work an 1.5 minute plank on the vibrate plate thing.

Kind Regards,

David

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Had an okay leg session, but I think I was most impressed with my 30 mins of cardio.

BB Deep Squats: 55kgx5, 55kgx5, 55kgx5, 65kgx5, 65kgx5
BB SLDL: 60kgx5, 60kgx5, 70kgx5, 90kgx5 mixed grip, 90kgx5 mixed grip
BB Standing Calf Raises: 60kgx5, 60kgx5, 70kgx5, 70kgx5 mixed grip, 90kgx5, mixed grip
DB Step-up lunges: 44kg, 10 reps (5 each side), 5 sets.
DB Goblet squats: 46kgx5, 46kgx5, 46kgx5, 50kgx5, 50kgx5
Seated Calf extensions (leg press machine): 55kgx5, 75kgx5, 95kgx5, 125kgx5, 165kgx5

Finished off with some interval work for 30 mins, 5 mins jog@8km/h 1 min run@13km/h with 5 min cooldown.

1 minute plank on some vibrate plate thing.

Hit the sauna, had a shower, and just had some chicken served with tomato sauce, leftover beef, and mash potato, yummy :)

I'm finding the goblet squats too easy. Perhaps I need to increase the reps...trouble is the dumb-bells only go to 50kg afaik and there are no kettle bells :(

Also the calf extension on the leg press isn't brilliant. I'll swap that for the donkey press lever machine (how can I forget those!).

Plan is to go to 9km/hour jog and 14km/h run for the 30 mins, increase weights all round and do 1 and a half minute planks on the vibrate plate thing next time.

Chest tomorrow and 30 mins interval work an 1.5 minute plank on the vibrate plate thing.

Kind Regards,

David
Apologies if I'm wrong, but if you're only squatting 65kg (deep squats are... just squats) and you're finding 50kg goblets easy, you probably aren't going deep enough on the goblets. You should be able to get way past parallel, similar to a front squat.

Soldato
So here is something demoralizing:
Did single leg seated leg press yesterday with my knee that had surgery 4wks ago (I have not done anything on it for 4months, this involves standing up, getting out the car etc, everything was right leg)
10lbs for 8reps was almost impossible :( awful!!
Knee is not improving as I had hoped, still get horrible pain through it if I go anywhere near parallel.
On a plus note, 40kg DB Shoulder press (x8) was relatively easy considering it was the first time.

Soldato
Apologies if I'm wrong, but if you're only squatting 65kg (deep squats are... just squats) and you're finding 50kg goblets easy, you probably aren't going deep enough on the goblets. You should be able to get way past parallel, similar to a front squat.

I think you could well be right there - perhaps going up a weight from last week has affected my form and technique. I'll have to go deeper with the goblets next time, see what happens. I will aim to sit on the floor with the goblets though, or get near enough there, just in case thats what I wasn't doing.

I'm going to see about getting my squat up a little higher as well, I'm aiming for 70- 75kg next time. Fingers crossed!

So here is something demoralizing:
Did single leg seated leg press yesterday with my knee that had surgery 4wks ago (I have not done anything on it for 4months, this involves standing up, getting out the car etc, everything was right leg)
10lbs for 8reps was almost impossible :( awful!!
Knee is not improving as I had hoped, still get horrible pain through it if I go anywhere near parallel.
On a plus note, 40kg DB Shoulder press (x8) was relatively easy considering it was the first time.

Don't feel bad, the road to recovery will be a bit long; but you're doing the right thing by getting out there and doing it though. Don't let it wear you down and keep at it :) Work at weights that are comfortable though, pain is a bad sign. Maybe you need a little more recovery time? Has your doctor or surgeon advised you on this?

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Soldato
Alrighty, my second day back in the gym.

More cross trainer although upped to 35 mins from 30.
Starting at 10 inclination and 1 resistence, then upping the resistence by 1 each minute.
After 10 minutes I'm at 10 Inclination and 11 resistence, then I work down each minute by one inclination and 1 resistence, then after 10 minutes back up.

Now my right leg and calves was on fire at this point, gotta love muscle atrophy.

Tried some pullups again and, ouch..they wrecked, barely managed 3 close and wide chin ups, followed by 3 close and wide pullups.
So I just ended up doing 5 sets of static hangs at wide and narrow grips until failing each time.

The college also got their steam room working so I went and gave that a shot.
It's hot alright, uncomfortably hot almost.

Plus the walk to it from the changing rooms are next to glass walls where the baksetball court can see you and the ladies.

Now normally I don't give a rodent's behind about who sees me in swin trunks, but I've become extremely self conscious since getting back to college and the gym.

I've already got some lat and peck doms from yesterday's pullups and chin ups.

Tomorrow is going to be tough alright. Ugh

Plus it hurt taking out my dipping belt, straps, wraps, chalk and belt from my gym bag and adding a towel, and swim trunks with flip flops. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't feel bad, the road to recovery will be a bit long; but you're doing the right thing by getting out there and doing it though. Don't let it wear you down and keep at it :) Work at weights that are comfortable though, pain is a bad sign. Maybe you need a little more recovery time? Has your doctor or surgeon advised you on this?

It is part of my PT recovery that I am personally doing. It wasn't painful doing the leg press, it was just literally know strength what so ever :eek:
I know it's a slow progression back, and the muscle/strength build up I can deal with. The pain is what is worrying me, I can't get as low as parallel or even close really, this shooting pain should have stopped by now.
See the Dr a week Monday.

Soldato
It is part of my PT recovery that I am personally doing. It wasn't painful doing the leg press, it was just literally know strength what so ever :eek:
I know it's a slow progression back, and the muscle/strength build up I can deal with. The pain is what is worrying me, I can't get as low as parallel or even close really, this shooting pain should have stopped by now.
See the Dr a week Monday.

Good one on the Dr Front. Were you warned about any range of motion issues? Any way these can be overcome? Well, I can't really give any medical advice, I'm not qualified to do that! But I'll be interested in what the doctor says.

Lifting low weights is always demoralizing, but we all have to start somewhere and you've had an operation; so don't worry about it!

Good luck with the rest of the workout as and when that comes - and good going on the shoulders too.

Kind regards,

David

Associate
Good to hear, still working hard to get my form right. I keep finding different parts of me that really don't agree with squatting, mainly being the front of my hips now, particularly when I go past parallel.

Last edited:
Soldato

Thanks mate, although that's all stuff I already knew and use to do a lot.

I can't do anything involving leg raises anymore sadly, due to that silly sciatic nerve acting up then.

The pullup site was really interesting. Certainly something I'll look into.

Soldato
Another SL Session over with!

Squats - 75kg (back feels so much better now form is getting 'there')
OHP - 52.5kg (working my way back up to 65kg to see if i can get past it this time)
DL - 100kg (deloaded after hurting lower back, so again, working on form)

finished off with a little HIIT :)

Soldato
Back and Biceps today, no deadlifts though :(

Hang clean to push press:
17kg x 20
22kg x 12
27kg x 10
27kg x 5

Barbell Row: (on crappy lightweight barbell)
20kg+ x 12
30kg+ x 10
40kg+ x 10

Seated Row (Machine):
20kg x 12
30kg x 10
40kg x 10

Single Arm DB Row:
20kg x 10
22kg x 10
22kg x 10

Lat Pull Down:
40kg x 10
45kg x 10
45kg x 10

Knackered. Looking forward to a weekend off (that involves footy and 30 mile bike ride!) Need a rest to be honest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom