*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Rather off topic here..

Has anyone attempted/completed the Ironman challenge?

I'd like to compete in one after I've really got myself in shape, which is more the priority and goal at the moment, but the idea of testing myself to that extent really appeals to me.

Is it as gruelling as I've read?

Clipsey's done an Ironman IIRC
Yep :) What kind of questions do you have?
It is grueling (day of) but that is now a distant memory, the memories I have are the achievement/accomplishment of it all (if that makes any sense)

I don't think there is a word, it's kind of a cross between bat **** crazy and heroic...
I like heroic :D
It's the same with anything, you put the effort and preparation in, you can achieve what ever you want!

Caporegime
What made you want to cut down from 11 stone at 6'2"? You can't have been particularly tubby? In fact you must have been pretty stick thin already!

As the man said, I had fat in the annoying areas. Plus, I couldn't get my head round why I would want to bulk when I was already "fat", but I could justify it in my mind to cut, then bulk.

Onto the topic at hand:

Bench Press Day:

30Kg, 40Kg, 45Kg, 55Kg, 60Kg, 62.5Kg (going to recalculate the 5/3/1 for this)
5x10 lat pull down 47.3Kg
10, 10, 9, 6, 7 Bodyweight Dips
5x10 tricep pulldown 38.3Kg

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
This is a really nice explaination of when and whether to use a belt for those interested:

Good video. Pretty much reinforces why I use a belt. I've spent a lot of time understanding and getting my squat form correct. When I use big weights the belt helps to keep me in a strong position. It doesn't change my form or force me into a bad position so it serves to strengthen my technique. As mentioned though, I only added in a belt after I had spent a long time beltless to get it right. I see a lot of lifters wearing a belt and have bad form, and as kelly says, it's not a good idea.

Brynn, looks like you have some trouble with 531. Have you thought about a different program that isn't as advanced? (more advanced doesn't = better results).

Soldato
And this is why i'm taking it easy :p Considering my backs had issues for the last month now

Better safe than sorry.

I keep getting recommended to walk and swim slowly in a heated pool to engage the muscle without adding pressure.

I don't have a pool like that, so if you do. Then it's probably worthwhile doing that.

Followed by a while in a steamroom or sauna.

Associate
As the man said, I had fat in the annoying areas. Plus, I couldn't get my head round why I would want to bulk when I was already "fat", but I could justify it in my mind to cut, then bulk.

Fair enough, whatever works for you. :)

What hot tub? All I have is a shower haha.

I've lately just stood in there hoping for the same effect as the aboved mentioned.

Get some sealant and seal the door shut... then wait for it to fill. :D

Caporegime
Better safe than sorry.

I keep getting recommended to walk and swim slowly in a heated pool to engage the muscle without adding pressure.

I don't have a pool like that, so if you do. Then it's probably worthwhile doing that.

Followed by a while in a steamroom or sauna.

Aye, sucks a bit...Going to a see a physio, see what they think...Although it feels a lot better today :)

There is a swimming pool next door...Shame its like £6 a session =/

I should get my GF's dad to build our hot tub sooner rather than later then :p

Caporegime
Brynn, looks like you have some trouble with 531. Have you thought about a different program that isn't as advanced? (more advanced doesn't = better results).

It's not that I am having trouble with it - its just that I think the Bench figures are too high. Think on my "rest week" I'm going to see what my max reps at 65Kgs are - which will allow me to re-calculate it for the next cycle.

I quite like the 5/3/1, when I was doing SL adding 2.5kgs each week, I just felt it was a bit hit or miss, plus I had to log a lot more information - whereas with this all I need to do is take a photo of the months weights, and thats all I need - no more fiddling about with Fitness apps to see what I lifted the week before.

Soldato
This morning was Chest and Triceps, the gym has a crap barbell that isn't a 20kg olympic, probably closer to 10kg, the squat rack has the proper olympic barbell which was being used. I hope they take notice of all the notes I leave in the feedback box every time I go to purchase another olympic barbell as 5 times I've seen people unload weight off one end of the light barbell for it to tip up and fly across the gym nearly taking there head off.

Bench Press:
20kg+bar x 20
30kg+bar x 12
40kg+bar x 8 (felt really heavy this morning, usually blast these?!)

DB Chest Press (rotating palm inwards at top of press):
14kg x 10
16kg x 10
18kg x 10
(moving up to start on 16kg next week)

DB Incline Chest Press:14kg x 10
16kg x 10
18kg x 10
(moving up to start on 16kg next week)

Skull Crushers:
Crap lightweight EZ Bar x 20
10kg+ x 10
15kg+ x 6
10kg+ x 6

Rope Pull Down:
10kg x 10
12.5kg x10
12.5kg x 6
10kg x 4

Overhead Rope:
10kg x 10
12.5kg x10
12.5kg x 10
(start on 12.5kg next week)

Tomorrow it's back and biceps, hopefully film the deadlift for critique if it's empty,

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye, sucks a bit...Going to a see a physio, see what they think...Although it feels a lot better today :)

There is a swimming pool next door...Shame its like £6 a session =/

I should get my GF's dad to build our hot tub sooner rather than later then :p

Physio was not an option for me sadly. earliest appointment I could get was August of all times, then I had to pay €100 per session.

So I'm just following the advice from my surgeon and hospital physio.

Also £6 per session isn't bad at all. If that's the cost of fixing your back I'd gladly pay that.

Soldato
Just about the end of week 4 on SL 3 x 5. Still on target with the spreadsheet etc.

Still feeling good and enjoying it.

Warm up and stretchs

3 x 5 reps @ 45kg Squat
3 x 5 reps @ 32.5kg Bench press
3 x 5 reps @ 42.5kg Bendover row

15 mins on bike rolling hills (gave this a good blast today) - came away soaking!

Some core exercises (plank etc)

Starting to really feel like hard work on the squat mind you!! (puny weight I know for some of you but still.......)

Hopefully not to much aching tomorrow - got 8 hours driving in the car tomorrow (round trip to Liverpool and back)

Caporegime
Physio was not an option for me sadly. earliest appointment I could get was August of all times, then I had to pay €100 per session.

So I'm just following the advice from my surgeon and hospital physio.

Also £6 per session isn't bad at all. If that's the cost of fixing your back I'd gladly pay that.

I wish...£35/45 here :p

Private physio mind..I could go NHS, but i'd have to wait another month

Man of Honour
It's not that I am having trouble with it - its just that I think the Bench figures are too high. Think on my "rest week" I'm going to see what my max reps at 65Kgs are - which will allow me to re-calculate it for the next cycle.

I quite like the 5/3/1, when I was doing SL adding 2.5kgs each week, I just felt it was a bit hit or miss, plus I had to log a lot more information - whereas with this all I need to do is take a photo of the months weights, and thats all I need - no more fiddling about with Fitness apps to see what I lifted the week before.
You continue to misunderstand/ignore what me and Lie are saying here...

531 is a programme with very specific outcomes. It is designed for more advanced trainees who can no longer get results from a simple linear progression. This would typically happen when the individual is lifting around 90kg/120kg/150kg bench/squat/deadlift, or simply when the individual has stalled many times on his linear progression while his form, nutrition and rest were good.

Just because you see more advanced lifters using it, it doesn't mean that you will see the same results as a beginner (regardless of how long you've been training, in terms of strength you are a beginner).

Also, it is not a "bulking" or bodybuilding routine. The entire structure of the working sets is geared up for strength ONLY, and even though you're doing more volume on the assistance exercises, it still won't make you grow in the same way a proper bodybuilding routine would.

For example, ask Lie how much lean mass he gained when he ran a few cycles.

This is Wendler's view of what a bodybuilding 531 routine would look like: http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-and-bodybuilding/

Notice that the actual 531 movements take a very minor role. The only reason to do that version would be if you wanted to bodybuild while adding small amounts to your big lifts, but again only if you're a more advanced lifter.

If you're really determined, you're obviously free to try and prove us wrong. But you won't be able too ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom