*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Lean mass on 531? what? :p
Brynn if you read my log I'm now training for size, notice how I'm not doing 531 any more :)
When I'm done with my bulk I'll probably switch to a cut while on 531, I like the idea of cutting while doing a strength routine.

Soldato
You continue to misunderstand/ignore what me and Lie are saying here...

531 is a programme with very specific outcomes. It is designed for more advanced trainees who can no longer get results from a simple linear progression. This would typically happen when the individual is lifting around 90kg/120kg/150kg bench/squat/deadlift, or simply when the individual has stalled many times on his linear progression while his form, nutrition and rest were good.

Just because you see more advanced lifters using it, it doesn't mean that you will see the same results as a beginner (regardless of how long you've been training, in terms of strength you are a beginner).

Also, it is not a "bulking" or bodybuilding routine. The entire structure of the working sets is geared up for strength ONLY, and even though you're doing more volume on the assistance exercises, it still won't make you grow in the same way a proper bodybuilding routine would.

For example, ask Lie how much lean mass he gained when he ran a few cycles.

This is Wendler's view of what a bodybuilding 531 routine would look like: http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-and-bodybuilding/

Notice that the actual 531 movements take a very minor role. The only reason to do that version would be if you wanted to bodybuild while adding small amounts to your big lifts, but again only if you're a more advanced lifter.

If you're really determined, you're obviously free to try and prove us wrong. But you won't be able too ;)

That sums it up rather well.

I ended up using 531 without even knowing about Wendlers book or results.
Afterwards it helped even more after reading about it tuning my trainer regime even more.

As I mearly changed things around until I started seeing results again.

It helped me break my silly plateau of 80KG on the bench and reach 110kg for sets, along with me drastically improving my Clean and Press.
Not to mention my continual inprovement in squats and deadlifts after reaching stalls here and there.

It's certainly not something any beginner should think about doing; and it's not some "bulking" routine I here about from some people.

Soldato
is it wrong that I feel like I could train a 4th consecutive day?

DO ITTT!!!

Doing shoulders and squatting tomorrow.

Am guna throw in some DL's (first ones in months) and arms on saturday!! No real reason do to arms in isolation, just fancy the insane pump :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Anybody else do or have done a fullbody routine?

I have only every done fb's. Recently got back in to the gym about 2 months ago.

I have only been training twice a week, but a friend thinks I havent made as much gains as I should have in two months.

Im thinking of upping 2 days a week to 3 days a week fb.

What do you reckon?

Caporegime
Quick response because I am at work - I will reply in more detail later.

I know bulking isn't a bodybuilding technique. I used bulking as a term for eating massive amounts of food.

Man of Honour
What does your FB workout look like?

It is often useful to increase training frequency if your FB workouts have reduced intensity. For example, if you're doing 2 sets per exercise...

Soldato
What does your FB workout look like?

It is often useful to increase training frequency if your FB workouts have reduced intensity. For example, if you're doing 2 sets per exercise...

My FB routine is 3x10 on all:

Consisting of:

Bench Press
Pull Ups
Military Press
Dips
Dumbell Curls
Leg Press
Hamstring Curls
Calf Raises
Ab work

My freind reckons that doms should reduce with increased frequency.

To be honest with you, for a while I havent been listening to him but to anothother online freind who suggested doing the fb only twice a week, as that is what is good for hard gainers.

However my freind has made considerable progress, so I think I owe it to him to at least give it a shot.

Online FB routines that you can find are also 3 times a week.... but they suggest doing squats... how can you squat 3 times a week!!

Last edited:
Soldato
You do all those in 1 session or split over 2? Any reason you don't do squat?

1 session.

I have bad knees, which hurt my right knee when I squat.

I have been seeing a physio, for the last 4-5 months, but not much has been helping. Waiting for an op really on the right knee so Im pain free then I would start body wait squats and move up from there.

The other issue which im hoping to over come, but will take a long time if ever, is I had an op on my left knee (atrophied thigh muscles after a few years), and heavy squats was putting so much pressure on my left knee, that I couldnt walk on it, the day after squatting.

Obviously I would start with body wait squats at first and work from there, its just my right knee holding me back.

And yes, I injured my right knee at the gym, rehabing my left...

in the mean time I need to get the most out of my leg press.

The physio reckons I should single leg press rather than regular ones, im not so sure...

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I think you would definitely benefit from an extra day. You're doing quite a lot in 1 session trying to cover all bases, but I don't think each muscle is getting enough volume to get them to grow. There are many ways to structure 3 days, personally I would do a split. 1 - legs/shoulders 2 - chest/triceps 3 - back/biceps for example.

Edit.
Here's a good split to consider.
Monday - Quads / Chest / Triceps
Wednesday - Hamstrings / Back / Biceps
Friday - Calves / Shoulders / Core

Example Monday.
Leg Press
Leg Extension
Bench Press
Dips
Cable Push Down
Rope Extension

Have a play and see what works for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you would definitely benefit from an extra day. You're doing quite a lot in 1 session trying to cover all bases, but I don't think each muscle is getting enough volume to get them to grow. There are many ways to structure 3 days, personally I would do a split. 1 - legs/shoulders 2 - chest/triceps 3 - back/biceps for example.

Edit.
Here's a good split to consider.
Monday - Quads / Chest / Triceps
Wednesday - Hamstrings / Back / Biceps
Friday - Calves / Shoulders / Core

Example Monday.
Leg Press
Leg Extension
Bench Press
Dips
Cable Push Down
Rope Extension

Have a play and see what works for you.

Never done a split before. Only ever done FB's.

Im a complete beginer, are you sure a split is correct for my level?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Split is fine for a beginner, it's just a different way of breaking things up and giving each muscle the proper time it needs.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nothing wrong with a split routine.

Naturally though, what works for other may not work for you. So try things out, just don't switch up every month because you aren't gaining quick enough :)

Man of Honour
Awesome hybrid workout.

Thick rope pulls (i.e. 5 inch thick rope) with a 35kg sand bag + 40kg of plates on carpet! Over 20m. x6 - not easy. The rope itself weighs at least 20kg too.

4x6 100kg RDLs supersetted with chins - but I did 2 reps, then switched grip without touching the ground - so 2x wide grip, 2x suppinated, 2x neutral, 2x narrow - HARD!

All of the above 4x

Farmers walks + stair climbs. 4x. 40 steps taken 2 at a time. Only with 24kg DBs but hard enough as I had to go down, and back up again in 1 go.

Man I feel good! :D

Soldato
Quick response because I am at work - I will reply in more detail later.

I know bulking isn't a bodybuilding technique. I used bulking as a term for eating massive amounts of food.

Hey Brynn, if you want to understand what Ice and LiE mean when they say that 5/3/1 is an advanced routine check this link here

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

It's really useful to see where you regarding your lifting experience and ability.

If you are looking for advice you won't go wrong listening to these guys.

Also to help things going forwards could you give us all an insight in to you, and your goals etc.

Height, weight, age, bmi, personal best lifts on the main lifts bench/squat/dead lift/press(if you do it) etc and what you want to do, bulk up, get strong etc.

Also let us know about your diet, how much are you eating calorie wise and how much protein/carbs/fats are you having?

All of the above will help people offer you advice, and maybe help you see where you are and what you can expect from training.

Hope to hear from you soon

Soldato
Nice Chest and tris session for me tonight

Bench press 65x8 70x8 75x8
Dips Bw+12.5x8x3
Inclined db bench 25x8x3
Tricep push downs 25x8x3
Standing cable flys/cable raises super sets 25x8x3 /15x8x3
CGBP 50x8x3

Seeing nice gains hopefully they continue :D

Status
Not open for further replies.