*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Cheers mate =) Yep, glad I don't have the awkward hex stuff. My gym's actually really well kitted out for a Bannatynes!

i go to puregym - £18 a month - massive place over 3 floors - 4 squat racks, 2 smiths machines and as many dumbells, bars, weights etc as you could hope for!:p

Think at last count there was 60 treadmills, 45 cross trainers, 45 bikes. It is Glasgow city centre mind you!

Soldato
Hmm i think i have made a mistake by weight training for several years without doing any cardio. Im starting a cut for summer and so did cardio today. According to the machine i was sitting at a heart rate of 200-205, which seems dangerously high and should be expected from somebody who is obese.

I am 22, 5'10 and weigh about 12 stone 10lbs

Guess i better start doing lots of cardio now...

Soldato
Gym wasn't brilliant - Back and biceps.

It wasn't helped at all by how exhausted I felt after fighting the M1 traffic home after work...really tiring and annoying.

I managed 2 sets of 8 chins and a further 8 chins with 26kg assist. Then I got a sharp headache :(

So I took a break, found out that my shaker smelt stagnant, so no water except from the water coolers for me today.

BB Deadlifts: 8x70kg, 8x 70kg, 8x80kg (3 reps mixed grip), quite poor really
Lat Pull Down machine: 8x40kg, 8x46kg, 8x54kg.
Seated Back Row machine: 8x40kg, 8x60kg, 8x70kg.
Preacher curls with ez bar: 8x17.5kg, 8x27.5kg, 8x27.5kg (assuming thick bar weighs 7.5kg)
DB Concentration curls: 8x10kg, 8x10kg, 8x10kg.

I would have liked to do some wide pull-ups (in addition to chins) but the sharp headache put me off.

Didn't do any CV work either today.

Tomorrow will be Legs/shoulders with CV and Sunday will be Chest/triceps with CV.

Plan to add some core work to the next 2 sessions as well. I normally do a 4 day split, but college is really busy and I have much revision to do if I am to pass my third level of the CCNA course I'm doing...

And now the headache is back! Boo! :(

Edit: going to add my 1rms next week to the big topic, with video footage :)

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hmm i think i have made a mistake by weight training for several years without doing any cardio. Im starting a cut for summer and so did cardio today. According to the machine i was sitting at a heart rate of 200-205, which seems dangerously high and should be expected from somebody who is obese.

I am 22, 5'10 and weigh about 12 stone 10lbs

Guess i better start doing lots of cardio now...

I think the machine is lying to you, that sort of heart rate is dam hard to push yourself to if it's even possible and you wouldn't be able to hold it there for long.

I think the highest I've ever pushed myself up to was 190bpm and I really knew about it!

Soldato
Decent shoulder session, refusing to moan about the lactic acid nowadays though :p

Seated DB press (kg weight = that amount in each arm);
20kgx8 32kgx8 36kgx8 40kgx8 40kgx6 26kgx8

Rest was same as last week, am happy with the increase in my DB press strength, was sitting at 32/34kg in each arm for 3x8 a couple of months ago and was completely unspotted starting from the bottom of the press, will work on this press for the next month and am aiming to smash out 44kg DBs for a comfortable 3x8.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This doesn't contradict anything that I believe (apart from the OTT title :rolleyes:).

However, I think a MUCH stronger emphasis should have been placed on the limitations of exercise specific stretching i.e. pauses at the bottom of squats - these can certainly fix some people, but could be very bad for others.

I do very minimal static stretching before a workout, and if I do, I do it for very specific reasons. I mostly do things which come under the category of warming up.

How do I know it works? Because, quite literally, it does ;)

Also, Delvis, when I'm doing *mobility work* for more than 5 minutes, I'm making myself a more affective athlete and improving my movement patterns, as well as improving resting posture. Do not interpret this article incorrectly and let it encourage you to stop doing things which are important for you.

Don't worry it hasn't :) I'm not even training at the moment. Just doing core and cardio for various reasons.

I'll get back on to the foot and stuff, time has been against me, and I can feel my shin / ankle 'twisting' again =/ Stupid thing

Caporegime
I think the machine is lying to you, that sort of heart rate is dam hard to push yourself to if it's even possible and you wouldn't be able to hold it there for long.

I think the highest I've ever pushed myself up to was 190bpm and I really knew about it!

I managed 195 the other day doing hill sprints, I was dying. But the machines are very innacurate.

I wouldn't trust them at all.

Associate
Has anyone ever felt like crying or just collapsing after a gym session?

I spent 3 hours in the gym yesterday doing a combination of weights and cardio, my body didn't know what the hell was going and went straight to bed as soon as I got home - 15 hours sleep :eek:

I won't be doing that again in a hurry, was a bit ott.

Caporegime
Has anyone ever felt like crying or just collapsing after a gym session?

I spent 3 hours in the gym yesterday doing a combination of weights and cardio, my body didn't know what the hell was going and went straight to bed as soon as I got home - 15 hours sleep :eek:

I won't be doing that again in a hurry, was a bit ott.

MTFU :p

Done a couple 3 hour sessions over the past few weeks, certainly slept well after them. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom