*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That's mad. I'm going to out on a limb here and say that they won't be cheap as they'll be some sort of diet fad at some point.

It doesn't say how many cals though :(

Soldato
There's a little bit of Zyzz inside all of us, you just don't know it yet.

The zyzz craze is old.

Yes he was ripped to shreds, and the envy of many a man, and was a funny RL troll. But the amount of nut-hugging is astounding and it';s recently cropped up all over my facebook, I've too much self respect to participate. It's mainly lads in their late teens-very early 20's all busting a nut over him!

It's shoulder day, these 'boulders' (lol) are in for something special.

Man of Honour
Steedie, did my email hit your SPAM folder again mate?

I'm guessing because I'm having to ask which email, yes :(

Seriously, **** NTLWorld, in future ill email you from my gmail account. Had so many issues with them lately

Sorry mate, hope it hasn't made anything difficult me not replying. Will look right away

Soldato
I'm guessing because I'm having to ask which email, yes :(

Seriously, **** NTLWorld, in future ill email you from my gmail account. Had so many issues with them lately

Sorry mate, hope it hasn't made anything difficult me not replying. Will look right away

No worries fella, whenever you get a chance, greatly appreciated :)

Man of Honour
Nice lil read on stretching and its long term effectiveness basically...

This is not downplaying mobility mind: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/stretching_is_bs
This doesn't contradict anything that I believe (apart from the OTT title :rolleyes:).

However, I think a MUCH stronger emphasis should have been placed on the limitations of exercise specific stretching i.e. pauses at the bottom of squats - these can certainly fix some people, but could be very bad for others.

I do very minimal static stretching before a workout, and if I do, I do it for very specific reasons. I mostly do things which come under the category of warming up.

How do I know it works? Because, quite literally, it does ;)

I played around on some gymnastics rings this week, and I have no doubt that anyone who did this regularly would have very healthy shoulders. This is because they would be regularly forced to behave themselves and move properly through a full range while being strong and stable.

I've touched on this briefly with shoulder stretching, but it's very important to use the muscles in the range you want them to have (if that makes sense...).
Going to be controversial here and say purely from a weight lifting perspective, stretching is a pointless waste of time

And by that, I mean stretching in the way that people normally think of when you say stretching, "warming up". Just grab some 1kg/2kg dumbbells and do some real high rep warm up sets instead

The only stretching that should be done is the type you would do in between sets of certain exercises. Or maybe some light stretching after the workout. But people that do 10 minutes stretching before a workout just annoy me immensely.
Controversial indeed! :p

I will actually agree though; most of the people stretching before workouts are just doing it wrong. Stretching to reduce DOMS? Good luck with that too.

Stretching (as a blanket term) certainly has it's place from a sports performance point of view, and as you move more into mobility this has a carry over into aesthetics and bodybuilding...

I have to agree with steedie on this! i perform very light reps for a few minutes. The only real stretching, mobility is rotary cuff.

Some guys spend best part of 10-15 minutes on the mats stretching every single muscle then they come across to weights and train arms (huh?)
You, my friend, have very internally rotated shoulders, and I personally think that this is limiting your aesthetic progress.

Mobility work, in the way that I define it (might not be everyone's definition), would help with this tremendously.

Internally rotated shoulders are the elephant in the room for a lot of casual bodybuilders. People don't even seem to be aware of it, but it makes them look a lot worse than they otherwise could.

Also, Delvis, when I'm doing *mobility work* for more than 5 minutes, I'm making myself a more affective athlete and improving my movement patterns, as well as improving resting posture. Do not interpret this article incorrectly and let it encourage you to stop doing things which are important for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom