*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
of course, I don't think anyone here has ever advocated doing stretching before exercises.

Stretching/mobility need only be used to treat a specific problem you have.

Caporegime
That's pretty much what the article says - Static stretching is pointless before a workout if not dangerous in some cases.

If you are to do static stretches, it says to do them in as close to the exercise as possible...ie front squats as they say, just hold the bar in the position for 30 seconds to loosen up the arms so it isn't as tight during the set.

However, mobility does have its place.

Take Home Messages

• You can't increase a muscle's length by stretching it. You can only increase your neural stretch tolerance.
  • To increase flexibility, adhere to the specificity principle. Increasing passive ROM is best achieved by 30 seconds of static stretching in a position as close to the desired position as possible. Increasing active ROM is best achieved by performing the desired movement against a resistance over your maximal ROM.
  • Keep warm-ups short and to the point. Prepare your body for the specific task at hand.
  • If you want to change your posture, you need to become aware of it and correct it until holding your new posture becomes automatic.

Last edited:
Caporegime

In short, if you can't get full ROM after stretching or performing the action for a month, it may be a soft tissue issue, which mobility work can help.

If after two months of frequent stretching you still can't perform a movement, you likely have poor technique, a muscle imbalance, or soft-tissue restrictions.

Some people are just ridiculously flexible, and will never notice any restrictions due to the lifestyle they have lived. However, if for instance you have worked in an office all your life, and done practically nothing as a kid, you're going to struggle (naturally) with certain movements

Caporegime
In which case, fair enough. But to me, unless you need it, it really doesn't fit in to a normal workout routine

Indeed :)

Basically says, if you spend more than 5 minutes...Then what the hell are you doing?

:p

And just to quote something else:

If you want to increase your ROM in a movement, like squats, the most effective way is simply to do the exercise. Ironically, it's often the most ardent haters of isolation exercises that prescribe isolation stretches for this purpose.

However, contrary to stretching, resistance training can also increase muscle length. The key is to strengthen the muscle eccentrically in its lengthened position.

If someone has short hamstrings, doing good mornings or Romanian deadlifts is more effective than any possible amount of stretching.

In short, just do the damn exercise

kai

kai

Soldato
I have to agree with steedie on this! i perform very light reps for a few minutes. The only real stretching, mobility is rotary cuff.

Some guys spend best part of 10-15 minutes on the mats stretching every single muscle then they come across to weights and train arms (huh?)

Soldato
Just starting to make good progress, when last night on the shoulder press there's a tearing sensation, followed by a burning pain from my right shoulder. :(

Always seems to happen when I start to feel like I'm getting somewhere. Oh well, back to purely cardio for a few weeks I go until this stops hurting. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom