*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Drop the cals down a bit or do cardio, either will help keep the fat in check. You're actually eating the same as me on my bulk and my BMR quite a bit more than yours.

Soldato
Shoulders this morning, felt shattered, I think the lost hour of sleep has done me in but still forced myself to go down to the gym, there was a time where I would just roll over and go back to sleep...

Machine Shoulder Press:
15 x 20kg
10 x 30kg
10 x 30kg

Seated DB Shoulder Press:
10 x 12kg
10 x 12kg
10 x 14kg
5 x 14kg
5 x 14kg

Side Raises(SR) superset with Front Raises(FR):
SR 10 x 6kg
FR 20 x 6kg

SR 10 x 8kg
FR 10 x 8kg
FR 10 x 6kg

SR 10 x 8kg
FR 20 x 6kg

Rotator Cuff Exercises and Bully Mobility Stretches

A nice workout to start off the week, legs tomorrow!!

Associate
ugh...where to start :confused::confused:

Been doing climbing for 9months now and from that i have decided to join a gym in a few weeks. Problem is i dont really have a clue on what i should be aiming to eat to benefit the most from the gym.

Aiming to work on upper body and general fitness really so if any one has any infomation would be greatfull.

Caporegime
You need to work out what you need t eat and why.

What do you want to achieve? As you are climbing, I am presuming you don't want to bulk up in any major sense, and you would rather need more of a conditioning training regime or something?

I believe there is a sticky regarding diets in general, so it may be worth a shot to read here :)

Soldato
ugh...where to start :confused::confused:

Been doing climbing for 9months now and from that i have decided to join a gym in a few weeks. Problem is i dont really have a clue on what i should be aiming to eat to benefit the most from the gym.

Aiming to work on upper body and general fitness really so if any one has any infomation would be greatfull.

mate, set 10 - 15 mins aside and read through this:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17401146&highlight=GordyR's+gym

Then come back with any questions you might have.

Essentially, screw the idea that you might get "too big". Once you start, you'll never be big enough, and you'll never end up like Arnie anyway. So train like a beast and enjoy it. If you just do it for a hobby, I'd say fit climbing around your training and not the other way around. Lifting will help your climbing more than climbing will help your lifting :)

Soldato
Ow.

Legs, chest and back ache.

Saturday was squats - hit 200KG on them for 5 reps. Leg presses were light (about 300KG) but were done very slowly. Leg extensions, walking lunges and kneeling leg curls.

Sunday was chest... light (60KG for flat) but 20 reps (slowly), db incline (light, 30KG each db) and flys (flat and inc) at a light 14KG. Ended up with chest press, at various angles and weights.

Bought along a female friend, she is now squating 80KG O.o

Soldato
Sweet, doing better than me

Her 1RM is around 90 lol. She got some serious looks when doing them, considering she's been going for only a month or so with me (although been doing a few bits at home using light weights / body weight sutff).

She is just a few inches shorter than me (so she's 5'11 /5'10 or something) and gifted with pretty good strength.

Trying to get her into body building, got her bench pressing yesterday :D her first time she hit 20KG (not including the bar) for 11 reps. Didn't want to overload her at the start lol.

Man of Honour
Got some questions about protein and was wondering if someone could help me out.

I've just finished my diet today and lost a total of 6 stone. Now I wan't to start building a bit of muscle. I've bought some whey from MyProtein but I'm unsure how much to take.

I've read you should take between 1 and 1.5 the number of pounds you weigh. So I should be taking 154g of protein per day (I'm 11 stone). But this seems a lot to me.

I also came across this article on Mens Health and it says if I was a professional athlete I should take 0.75 my bodyweight. Which is 117g and seems a lot more realistic to me.

So I was thinking of taking 1 large scoop of whey in the morning and then 1 after my workout. Which is about 25g each. Then making up the other 70g on food.

How does this sound to people?
1) 117g isn't enough. Try 150g and go from there.

2) The weight of the scoop isn't the weight of the protein. You get slightly less than 20g per scoop.

Soldato
That'd be cool. Wouldn't mind my lady coming to the gym and just doing cardio or something...lol

Yeah, we've been friends for about a year and she seemed a bit unsure that she could do it at first.

I think she's really happy with her progress though. Even got her sucking down protein shakes lol.

kai

kai

Soldato
What do you guys do for conditioning?

I do the 300 workout every now and again or a super metabolic circuit to mix things up - that will sort you out.

Example:

Pullups - 10 reps
Deadlift @ bodyweight - 10 reps
Pushups - 20 reps
Body-Weight Squat Jumps - 10 reps
V-Ups - 10 reps
Dumbbell Push Press - 20 reps
Pullups - 10 reps

I perform this for 15 minutes non-stop as many times possible

Caporegime
Workout A:

Squats: 2x5@25, 1x5@30, 1x3@45, 1x2@60, [email protected]
OHP: 2x5@25, 1x5@15, 1x3@25, 3x5@35

Couple of points about this : I should be doing power cleans too - but having never done them I'm just trying to use to the bar to get my form 100%. But I'm contemplating just practicing with a broom handle at home first to get all the motions correct. I know a broom won't have any weight to it - but its the flick and the straight arms I need to get a hang of first.

Second point with squats, it should have been 3x5, however I corrected my form today (after reading the squat section of SS), and moved the bar into a lower squat position further down my back. However, on the 2nd set my wrists were killing me - so I think I need to examine how I'm holding the bar during my squat, as it seems I'm angling my wrists towards the ends of the bar (if that makes any sense).

kai

kai

Soldato
Heh, I doubt I could do the 50 push ups :o

Yeah i changed it slightly above now as that was the elite workout, that too insane!

Thanks Kai. I'm thinking of putting a little circuit together like that to do a few times a week. Should keep me in tip top shape.

I would not perform something like this more than once a week - if you do something like that for 15 minutes solid it will test you physically and mentally regardless how fit you are!! you should feel physcially sick :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom