*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Can someone explain to me why the average person who works during the week [for example; I work Mon-Fri 8-5] does a 4-5 day workout routine, won't they just burnout and overtrain compared to the pro's who do it pretty much as a job?

Depends on the activity of the job.

An office worker for instance would more than likely need to do more in the gym than say a laborer.

Naturally each person is different mind.

Soldato
I've give more advice on here than you've had hot dinners, those 11,000 posts weren't racked up in GD asking for advice on girls :D

Funny how a forum full of people helping each other nobody points out to the newbie he's killing himself?

Just saying....

I'll take those comments with a pinch of salt, as you seem to have redeemed yourself in the above post. Good job!

Man of Honour
^ How'd you work those weights out? I'm starting 5/3/1 this week and my squat is 162.5x? for week 1 yet your squat PB dominates mine :confused:
I backed the weights off across the board. Input squat PB as 200kg :p The plan is to get up to 170kg for 10 in week 3, and then the following week (supposed to be deload week) go for 180+kg for 10 to put me back up to where I was before. I have to inject some Jack3d for that though.

EDIT: I've chosen to do the "boring but big" assistance at 60% rather than 50%, if that's confusing you too.

Just easing my way into it at the moment, this week is 50% of 1RMs. They were singles. 10 sets - excluding warm up sets.

60% and 70% to follow. :)

You'd be right. :) I'm working on tonnes of mobility at the moment, and form, and I'm focusing on getting strength back.

I'm big enough, and I'm not bothered about uber aesthetics - I just want to get back up to around 600kg totals and break the 250kg deadlift.
Same here, I've been hovering around that for ages without actually doing it. I might have to go to a gym with proper plates though.

As the speed work was with singles, were you taking short rests? 60 seconds or so?

Last edited:
Associate
New 5/3/1 routine is pretty good but Im having trouble with streches as the only ones I know are pretty basic :( Could anyone tell me some names of streches for different body parts so that I can go do some research and come up with a decent mobility routine before each session?

Associate
Cheers ice will have a look through that tomorrow.

Bit of a problem with my deadlift on 5/3/1 it was just far far to easy? I managed to do 12 reps easy on the last set where as on all other exersizes I got 6-7.

Looks a bit like this on my sheet... 5,5,5,3,5+ for each main lift. So sould I add another 5-10 kg to my deadlift sets over the last 3 weeks of this cycle?

Soldato
OP
So yeah as I mentioned yesterday about keeping one's home gym tidy....

I tripped over this: http://yfrog.com/oepk2iyj and put my arm through this: http://yfrog.com/oe4uwaaj befoe neatly crashing to the floor and saying ow a lot.

Got some nasty looking scrapes/cuts just above my elbow where my arm went through the wood and a small cut on my leg from the toolbox. Oopsie.

Keep your gym tidy folks! :)

Soldato

I tripped over this: http://yfrog.com/oepk2iyj and put my arm through this: http://yfrog.com/oe4uwaaj befoe neatly crashing to the floor and saying ow a lot.

Got some nasty looking scrapes/cuts just above my elbow where my arm went through the wood and a small cut on my leg from the toolbox. Oopsie.

:eek:

Lucky escape there, could have been nasty.

Man of Honour
Cheers ice will have a look through that tomorrow.

Bit of a problem with my deadlift on 5/3/1 it was just far far to easy? I managed to do 12 reps easy on the last set where as on all other exersizes I got 6-7.

Looks a bit like this on my sheet... 5,5,5,3,5+ for each main lift. So sould I add another 5-10 kg to my deadlift sets over the last 3 weeks of this cycle?
Add weight next cycle, see the first one through to completion.

Associate
Right will do. another thing is it ok doing 10 min of hiit 4 times a week in between streching and my routein? Want to keep slowly decrease my bf % as summer comes up plus I dont fancy doing the skipping as 5/3/1 suggests as a warm up because I'm just downright bad at it. Could never skip no matter how much I tried :(

Caporegime

Heh, the gym I use is a complete mess half the time, so much so i've ended up removing my bars from there as people kept loosing the collars...

They've been told SO many times about keeping it tidy, but they never do. Yet no bugger does anything about it...I used to tidy it up each time I went in there, but I don't bother now, I just tidy up what I use and leave the rest.

Associate
Been doing it 3 times a week for the past month or so along with a full Body session. SPeeds have just increased so might skip it on my squats on a Friday as my legs are killing me after good mornings :o. Very bad flexibility, still can't touch my toes :(

Associate
Got some questions about protein and was wondering if someone could help me out.

I've just finished my diet today and lost a total of 6 stone. Now I wan't to start building a bit of muscle. I've bought some whey from MyProtein but I'm unsure how much to take.

I've read you should take between 1 and 1.5 the number of pounds you weigh. So I should be taking 154g of protein per day (I'm 11 stone). But this seems a lot to me.

I also came across this article on Mens Health and it says if I was a professional athlete I should take 0.75 my bodyweight. Which is 117g and seems a lot more realistic to me.

So I was thinking of taking 1 large scoop of whey in the morning and then 1 after my workout. Which is about 25g each. Then making up the other 70g on food.

How does this sound to people?

Soldato
Update on my bulk cycle:

In to week 6 of my 8-10 week bulk

I have gained nearly 6lb in 6 weeks on my bulking diet! A little of it will be water as I am on creatine every day currently (due to end a cycle this week) but over the last week I have started to notice extra fat 

Current diet macros are: Protein Carbs Fats Cals
Rest Day Total 226 274 110 2986
Training Day Total 250 311 115 3278

Basic outline of my diet:

50g Musili 150ml Milk
Protein 2 Scoops 200ml Milk
Protein 2 Scoops
Oats 2 Scoops
Chicken 250g+(up to 300g)
Banana
Nuts 50g
Slice of Bread/PB/Choc Spread
Dinner (various meals from lasagne to roast dinner, wifes a child minder so we have what ever she cooks the kids, reasonably healthy, always a portion of veg as well)
Recovery shake on training days 1 scoop protein/1Scoop Oats

Thinking of dropping the peanuts from my diet and ending up with something like this

Revised diet macros are: Protein Carbs Fats Cals
Rest Day Total 212 269 85 2682
Training Day Total 236 305 91 2974

My BMR is only 1800 which makes my maintenance 2400 and my bulk requirements only 2750

Should i cut down my diet or stick with what i have and throw in some cardio/Hiit?

I am however seeing reasonable progress which I am happy with, just not looking forward to getting rid of that extra fat! Any thoughts or advise welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom