*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato

Yeah....:o

In fairness though, since Christmas the only cardio I have done is a 20 minute walk ~ 3 times a week and no gym. Given that I'm pretty skinny and not very athletic it's no surprise, I guess. I did go a bit crazy at paintballing though! It's a bit stupid/boring to just sit around hiding everywhere :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Run around, trying not to get shot! :o:o:o

No real routine tbh!

Legs = squats, deads and the leg presses/raises if I get time.

Back = negative chins, and BB BORs sometimes back flies too

Chest/shoulders = DB press, pushups, forgot what it's called but wide chest presses? most people do them with bent elbows but i stretch arms out with a DB and then meet in middle

If needed I do a few rope pull downs and maybe some db curlz.

Usually all 3x8.

That's about it I think.

Hm k...Well, best thing to do, is sort out a set routine that allows progression each week/session - And stick to that for a bit, and add/change things up a bit every so often to shock the system.

Are you finding it hard to keep at it at the moment? Or was it just Christmas getting in the way ;)

You say you are skinny still...Which would indicate you aren't eating enough still :)

EDIT:

I wish work would finish, I REALLY want to hit the gym, even if it is damn cardio

Soldato
Getting heavy for me now, took a couple sessions out to focus on form with the squats and today completed:

SL 5x5 82.5kgs Squats
SL 5x5 60kgs Bench
SL 5x5 60kgs Barbell Row - this felt nice so the last two sets I did 9 reps

Then did some dumbell surfing, as per Kai's post a while back, starting only on 16kgs as after the rows my biceps were pretty weak!

Jumped in the pool and managed 6 lengths before deciding a nice long sit in the steam room would be a better idea. Started off with the bar in late Jan so please with the progress so far. Also managed to push out 5x5 45kgs on the Overhead press which I had stalled on for a while, god that was hard!

Associate
Trial week for my new routine this week, I'll let you know how it goes.

Today is:
Bench
Goblet Squats
Cable Row
Step Ups
Med Ball Push Ups
30deg Raise
Plank

Should be fun :).

Soldato
Getting heavy for me now, took a couple sessions out to focus on form with the squats and today completed:

SL 5x5 82.5kgs Squats
SL 5x5 60kgs Bench
SL 5x5 60kgs Barbell Row - this felt nice so the last two sets I did 9 reps

Then did some dumbell surfing, as per Kai's post a while back, starting only on 16kgs as after the rows my biceps were pretty weak!

Jumped in the pool and managed 6 lengths before deciding a nice long sit in the steam room would be a better idea. Started off with the bar in late Jan so please with the progress so far. Also managed to push out 5x5 45kgs on the Overhead press which I had stalled on for a while, god that was hard!

Nice work - i'm doing 3x5 SL's (time is precious). Good to know your progressing well.

Today was

52.5kg squat 3 x 5reps
32.5kg overhead press 3 x 5reps (should have been 35kg but forgot to check the spreadsheet and had to guess)
70kg 1 x 5 deadlift.

Overhead press is a killer for me even at that weight - it's a real struggle!!

I might try and up this to 5 x 5 from here - I was doing 3 x 5 so that I could get some cardio in whilst at the gym but with lighter nights and better weather at the weekend I can get out on the bike then and spend more time on 5 x 5 instead.

Guess I give the next visit at try at 5 x 5:eek:

Man of Honour
Think of it this way; why would you want to "build up the back"? This is a beginners strength routine.

Deadlifts don't need a lot of volume, particularly when you're squatting so much. There is a lot of overlap between squats and deadlifts, so there is a danger of doing too much work on hip drive and lower back stabilisation.

Soldato
How does this look for a push, pull, legs routine:

Push - Monday

Bench Press 4x8
Incline Flyes 3x8
Bent over lateral raise 4x12
Dumbell Press 4x8x12kg
Side lateral raise 2x10
Dips 3x10
Pushdowns Palms up 3x8
Calves 3x15
Abs – Plank

Pull - Thursday

Straight arm pull downs 2x12
Lateral Pull downs 4x10
Bent over rows 3x8
Bent over laterals 3x12
Barbell Curl 3x10x20
Hammer Curl 3x10
Calves 3x15
Abs – Sit ups

Legs - Sat

Hamstring Curls 4x12
Leg Press 3x20
Dumbell Step Ups 3x10
Dumbell Lunges 3x10
Glutes
Calves 3x15
Abs – Leg Raises

i'v only ever done FB before so never really done a split, can it work for a beginner?

Soldato
Hm k...Well, best thing to do, is sort out a set routine that allows progression each week/session - And stick to that for a bit, and add/change things up a bit every so often to shock the system.

Are you finding it hard to keep at it at the moment? Or was it just Christmas getting in the way ;)

You say you are skinny still...Which would indicate you aren't eating enough still :)

EDIT:

I wish work would finish, I REALLY want to hit the gym, even if it is damn cardio

I appreciate the advice but I wasn't really asking for any. :)

Things are a bit hectic which is why gym hasn't been a priority since Christmas. I have my reasons though, laziness being one of them, no doubt.

Last edited:
Caporegime
First day back after a week off and straight in to squats for 5/3/1 BBB. OMFG! I don't think me and my legs are going to be friends tomorrow :(

Squats 5/3/1
125 x 5
145 x 5
162.5 x 10

Squats 5x10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10

GHRs
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10

Time = 52 minutes

531 week 1:

Squat
5x117.5kg
5x135kg
10x152.5kg
5x10x107.5kg

These felt horrible! I was a mess by the end of it. Damn you cardio... Could have got 1 or 2 more on the "+" set, but no thanks!
I now feel your pain, literally.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How does this look for a push, pull, legs routine:

Push - Monday

Bench Press 4x8
Incline Flyes 3x8
Bent over lateral raise 4x12
Dumbell Press 4x8x12kg
Side lateral raise 2x10
Dips 3x10
Pushdowns Palms up 3x8
Calves 3x15
Abs – Plank

Pull - Thursday

Straight arm pull downs 2x12
Lateral Pull downs 4x10
Bent over rows 3x8
Bent over laterals 3x12
Barbell Curl 3x10x20
Hammer Curl 3x10
Calves 3x15
Abs – Sit ups

Legs - Sat

Hamstring Curls 4x12
Leg Press 3x20
Dumbell Step Ups 3x10
Dumbell Lunges 3x10
Glutes
Calves 3x15
Abs – Leg Raises

i'v only ever done FB before so never really done a split, can it work for a beginner?
Seems like too many exercises, and you exercise order is way off.

Do compound exercises first, and then 2-3 isolation movements maximum.

Oh and pick an alternate exercise to situps.
First day back after a week off and straight in to squats for 5/3/1 BBB. OMFG! I don't think me and my legs are going to be friends tomorrow :(

Squats 5/3/1
125 x 5
145 x 5
162.5 x 10

Squats 5x10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10

GHRs
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10

Time = 52 minutes
Nice :cool:

Soldato
Really enjoying squats at the moment, now that im working on form and not having to walk off needing a zimoframe after a session :p.

Bench is starting to get hard at 85kg, but really proud I passed the 80kg mark (been stuck at that for ages!). Now just to break through my 65kg wall on OHP!

Soldato
My new routine consists of SL 5x5 Mon/Wed/Fri and for the rest days, im sticking in HIIT sessions and a bit of a jog. Struggling to get SL and HIIT on the same day, before work (like to train fasted).

Soldato
Try Tabata at the end of your workout. Rowing machine works quite well.

All my equipment is sitting behind my (home gym). I've recently gotten a treadmill (although for the girlfriend, im getting my fair share of use on it :p). Been sticking in a quick 10minute session of HIIT 30 sec rest and 30 sec sprint.

Just recently my workout sessions have been getting longer and finding it hard to stick it in at the end. So, think I will leave it to rest days for now and see how it goes.

Already feeling the difference in terms of stamina, so still a win win for me.

Soldato
Decent enough chest session, not happy with my incline DB presses after seeing how many 100kg presses I could do though!

BB Bench;
60x12
100x15
100x12
100x9 (last spotted)

Incline DB;
42'sx8
42'sx7
42'sx5

Decline machine 3x8

Pec Deck 3x8

Dips;
BWx8
+30kgx8
+30kgx8
+30kgx7

Then a little isolation on tri's. My body is so used to 3x8, that high volume at the start took a huge toll on the last incline presses! Last week did 44'sx8 no problem after BB press + decline BB presses!

Undecided whether to do back or legs tomorrow, then the other on wednesday. Hmm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom