*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Even if i wasnt going to start doing proper iifym next week though "throwing it out the window" isn't gonna matter for one day. It's not like i'm 6% bf where it might make a difference. I'm at home, it's my mums birthday and i cba going and buying my own food when theres plenty of nice stuff available :o

Anyway we'll see in 2 weeks time. Maybe i'll lose all my progress so far and you can say i told you so. Or maybe i'll continue losing 1.5-2lbs a week and i can continue to lol at your chicken and rice :p It's not like i'm doing this cut for a photoshoot or contest, it's solely for my own benefits of seeing what it's like and how my body reacts to different stuff so i know what to do when it comes to my next cut

Be good to see what happens actually in all honesty :)

Soldato
Back and biceps tonight

Deadlifts 110x8 120x8 130x4
Pull ups BWx10 BWx8 BWx7
Seated rows 50x8 57.5x8 65x8 (straight back and as controlled as possible)
Reverse flys and face pulls (ss) 15x8/25x8 x3
Lat pull downs 45x8x2 50x8 again straight back no leaning back, as controlled as possible
One arm curls 10x15x3 (15 reps is per arm)

Deadlift form vid feel free to critique, I think I am seeing improvements, except for head positioning this week :(
120x8

And here's 130x4 damn you hex plates
(LiE does an awesome homer impression on my last rep :D)

Last edited:
Caporegime
5/3/1 deadlift day. First 3.1 sets were easy, 5x10 sets ****** me up.

Deficit Deadlift 5/3/1
132.5 x 5
152.5 x 5
172.5 x 3
172.5 x 10

Deficit Deadlift 5x10
102.5 x 10
102.5 x 10
102.5 x 10
102.5 x 10
102.5 x 10

Hanging Leg Raises
BW x 0 :o

Hanging Knee Raises
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10

Time = 62 minutes

Associate
Not bad Syla5, but I think you need to do some stuff to lengthen your posterior chain. It looks like one of the reasons you are losing the tightness in your core is lack of flexibility to reach the bottom position.

Also are you aware that you are doing it from a deficit?

Soldato
Not bad Syla5, but I think you need to do some stuff to lengthen your posterior chain. It looks like one of the reasons you are losing the tightness in your core is lack of flexibility to reach the bottom position.

Also are you aware that you are doing it from a deficit?

Thanks Dom, aware of the posterior chain issues and working on flexibility here but will look in to lengthening work.

As for deficit I wasn't aware of that, how would I go about correcting this?

Associate
He's wearing shoes :).

I did it for a while without realising it had an affect but when I stopped my speed of the floor was a hell of a lot faster. Also with someone like Syla5 who has some difficulty getting to the bottom with a good tight core making the distance he has to move the weight will only exaggerate those problems.

Also can I suggest trying a top-down set up like Kelly Starret uses:

Both me and my brother have found it very helpful. It might help with keeping the core tight, and also with the head fault.

Caporegime
Don't think they look too bad. Sole looks reasonable flat and they don't look like they're air filled so they should be pretty solid to deadlift in. Personally, I'd keep them on until PB time then take them off to get a little bit more from the lift.

Associate
It isn't so much about the compress-ability of the shoe it's more that it is making the range of motion greater. Deadlifts should always be barefoot.

Soldato
Yeah I used to have shoes with hardly any sole so your prob right they wouldn't help, just need to remember to take them off.

I will defiantly give loading from the top down a go, I was doing something very similar but that vid explains it in much better detail cheers

Soldato
Damn my back rounding seems to be my bane. To many years spent sat playing computer games :( guess this will be a slow path to a straight back.

My concern is will I be ok continuing to train deadlifts at decent weights while working on this or will it do more harm then good?

Associate
At the moment you are ok. If it concerns you, next time you start a progression, puts the first weight slightly lower than you normally would. You'll still get benefit from the training even if it isn't such a high % of your 1RM and that way it's easier to change things and work on form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom