*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Cheers ice, yeah everything I am taking on board I am trying to make a part of my life, I might do some RDL's on legs day to help me get my mind in order to move from the hip

Also I've recently started sleeping on my back as I have slept on my front for years and since I have started to get bigger I have noticed how uncomfortable I am after awaking up in the mornings from sleeping on my front

To start with keep the RDL's brutally light so you can focus on how everything feels and be very conscious of your depth.

Chris, do you want to check the date :p

Caporegime
Wooop 85kg bench, best so far!

Got half way up with 90 but had to be assisted up, though not sure how much effort he put in cause he is evil like that!

Also done one of those insanity dvds tonight, was pretty good acctually makes a change from crosstrainer/running etc. Was damn knackert after it and felt like I had done a good workout.

Anyone who is looking for a good cardio burner but not wanting to do running etc, I would highly recommend it, and that is coming from someone who thinks running is the best cardio based activity.

Soldato
To start with keep the RDL's brutally light so you can focus on how everything feels and be very conscious of your depth.

Yeah that was the plan, i have done them before but i just used to get stupidly pumped in my lower back due to not great squat form. I have posted a couple of vids in the mobility thread of how my back looks when i try and bend from the hip, advice welcome.

Man of Honour
The TRX rig in mine I think is slightly too close to the wall which is a bit annoying, but regardless It's a recent addition which isn't a pointless machine or hamster wheel so It's a step in the right direction.

It was also nice going at the weekend because there were some women there!? I'm normally the only person there at 8am weekdays so it was quite a surprise, I love yoga pants.

EDIT: I'm now chowing down on a post-workout anabolic pizza. U mad Steedie?
We have an actual tower thing with several TRXs on parallel bars. Slightly mad they chose this over a proper lifting platform (apparently it was one or the other :mad:), but it's still pretty useful.

I can do TRX dips, muscle ups might be too cumbersome, and I might be able to do a german hang. Nice.
Cheers ice, yeah everything I am taking on board I am trying to make a part of my life, I might do some RDL's on legs day to help me get my mind in order to move from the hip

Also I've recently started sleeping on my back as I have slept on my front for years and since I have started to get bigger I have noticed how uncomfortable I am after awaking up in the mornings from sleeping on my front
I'm going to reply properly in the mobility thread :)

This weeks 531 has been a bit mixed. Wasn't able to get in the gym on thursday or friday, so I had to do both of those sessions today. With a big squat day on monday I reduced the B.B.B assistance and only did limited secondary assistance.

Monday: Squats
"+" set 162.5x11
BBB 5x10x107.5
RDL 3x10
GHRs 8, 5, 5

Already wrote about this, but that's an increase of 10.66% on my projected max. Not that this means anything at all!

Tuesday: Bench
"+" set 97.5x7
BBB 5x10x65
BOR 5x10x70

Big bag of balls. Lost my groove on the first rep and couldn't get comfortable on the bench which seemed to really sap my strength. Wanted at least 8 and probably 10, so I'm pretty unhappy with this. Strange contrast with last week (92.5x11). -8.66% from my projected max :rolleyes::p

Saturday: Deadlifts and OHP
Deads (still from a 1" deficit)
145x3
165x3
185x10
BBB 3x10x125

Left a couple in the tank with squat monday in mind. Pretty pleased with this, default rep PB at a 1" deficit. -0.8% from my projected max though, which is devastating... I'm aiming to smash 10 out next week at 197.5kg without the deficit.

OHP
45x3
52.5x3
57.5x10
BBB 4x10x40

Comfortable, too tired to go over 10 reps though!

Neutral grip chins 3x10xBW
Hanging leg raises 2x10xBW

Collapse.

Soldato
how do you control your hunger - I'm doing a mixture of heavy weights (3-4 sessions a week) - mix of 30 mins cardio, 30 mins heavy weights

+3-4 11-15km runs a week on top

and constantly hungry - last week on top of normal lunch and evening meals (sensible and healthy but not small) I got through mainly blended into smoothies

1 pack of rolled oats
0.75kg of Whey
3 packs of Bananas
2 packs of Apples
2 packs of frozen rasperberries
3 packs of Spinach (raw)
1 pack of Kale (raw)

I also get through a LOT of water a day

normal meals are sandwiches (+ post workout smoothie) at lunchtime (often ham/beef+ brown rolls) and in evening most nights fish (frozen haddock fillets, salmon etc) + lots of veg

I treat myself to one curry and one sweet and sour (with rice) stirfry a week - I cook myself rather than buy takeaway as I find much less fatty and much better quality meat (with pre-bought sauce though) - each time get through about 300g of Turkey or Chicken

as I said though still hungry most of the time

I also am gradually creeping up in weight but getting much stronger - so do I need to make the decision of whether to stay at strength I'm at and not put weight on or loose a bit ? or can I still get stronger and not carry on getting heavier ?

this time last year I was running mid-distance 3-4 times a week +gym 3 times a week and was 60kg -max dumbells chest press was around 18kg

now - still running mid-distance 3-4 times a week + gym 3 times a week - now managing 38kg dumbells chest press - but am now 67kg

is it possible to put on 7kg of muscle in a year ? I'm 5'4

Last edited:
Soldato
Huge chicken + meatball + parma ham + pepperoni + bolognese pizza for lunch today with lemon sorbet for dessert :D

Spent another 4-5 hours in the garden digging and chopping wood and cutting down trees so plenty of 'cardio' :p

Associate
Hey guys,
Currently joined up to the uni gym, been slacking the last 2 weeks due to work overload but still happy as my arms were pretty skinny before this year!

Now they're at a pretty good level, although as I'm home for Easter for 3 weeks and not part of a gym here, I was wondering if pressups/crunches regularly will at least keep my arms at their current state? I know I could invest in a months worth of gym round here, but as I'm quite busy these holidays I don't think I'd have time to go!

Soldato
Hey guys,
Currently joined up to the uni gym, been slacking the last 2 weeks due to work overload but still happy as my arms were pretty skinny before this year!

Now they're at a pretty good level, although as I'm home for Easter for 3 weeks and not part of a gym here, I was wondering if pressups/crunches regularly will at least keep my arms at their current state?

Date: 1 April 2012

Let you off then...

Soldato
Only just managed to finish with OHP without a fail..

Squats - 75kg
OHP - 65kg
Deadlift - 130kg
Mix between chin ups and pull ups.

Thanks to the load ordering MWOD, Deadlifts felt a lot more stable that before.

Associate
Some impressive lifts as always from all of you.

Disco Boy I use a spreadsheet. Its really nice and easy. However I have 2 set routines A/B so there's a lot less variance to record.

My session today to was the second since a weeks skiing holiday including lots of drinking etc and then a week off. My legs feel weak :(

3x5x85 squats - really tough, far harder than the 87.5 the session before leaving.
3x5x72.5 bench - not too bad, last set was a little slow
3x5x45 powercleans - fine, really enjoy these
Wide grip pullups (6,6,5) supersetted with Dips (8,8,8).
2x Pallof Press and 2x Ab wheel rollouts.

Destroyed...

Soldato
I've just drawn a spreadsheet, I'll see how it goes. I have 4 workouts so I'll see how it goes.

While I am here, anyone have any thoughts on this? Everything in 3*8 flavour except for pullups. The bicep tricep shoulder (aka vanity) day is because I find those groups particularly lacking... oh and vanity. The reason that it's only 3/4 exercises is to keep the sessions nice and short and convenient.

Squats
Lunges
Shoulder Press

Pullups
DB Bench
1 hand BOR
Incline DB Bench

Deadlifts
Shrugs
Calf Raise

Bicep Curl
Tricep Extension (skullcrushers)
Front Raise

Last edited:
Associate
Got talking to some guys down at my gym and asked if they wouldn't mind giving me some tips on my deadlifts, I ended up spending a good hour with them working on my form and watching their lifts.

Absolutely smashed my record.

5x80 (old max)
5x100
5x120
5x130
1RM 140

Also managed to get my C&P to 50kg

Chuffed :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back