*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
aye i am expecting this, as normally i have that day break

Walk into that session thinking you're guna ****ing SMASH it and you will, stick some loud ass music on and even before you get there!!

I used to think my back session wouldn't be as great if I had worked out the night before (chest usually) cause of DOMs in my chest when doing pullups etc, but it's absolutely fine!!!

You'll be fine, let us know how you get on :D

Soldato
Guys, (for those of you that have seen results)

At a bigineers level does it work doing splits where you only hit each muscle group once a week?

Im looking at doing a 3 day split, yet one of my freinds that has seen results is adamant you cannot get anywhere at begineers level by only hitting muscle once a week.

So I though ok, put something together for me (basically includes doing chins, pull ups, barbel curls dips 4x a week) the rest leg press, chest press, shoulders etc... are done 2x a week.

Only thing I found is that I did dips to failure on monday then on SHOULDER day I went to do shoulder press, yet more dips lateral raises etc... but I couldnt even set the weightso n the bar I was depleted of energy (doms)

He says its becuase your muscle are not accustomed to the workload, but intime they will adjust....

What do you reckon, can a begineer do well on a 3 day split?

Or do you have to hit muscles with a lot more frequency?

Man of Honour
Yes, splits can be used by beginners. It's all I used for my first couple of years of training since then I've thrown a few full body style workouts in but always go back to a split of some sort.

Soldato
Do you think this looks good as a start?

no barbell bench press, no deadlift, no squat!!! ok so missing the BB bench is not such a big issue as they have DB in there but no squats and no deadlifts is a crying shame, especially for a beginner as you can really focus on form while the weights are light, and the big compounds hit so much of the body

check Gordy's thread linked in the sticky, i started on that split a year ago, stuck to it for a couple of months and saw good progress :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You see I found this and thought it looked good.

What do you think?
I think it's relatively good, but I'd always choose squats over leg press.

Provided your form is good and you can activate the right muscles enough, a 3 day split doesn't suffer from a lack of frequency.

After doing it for 6 weeks you feel like you want more frequency, move onto a full body routine. My favourite is an A and B day HST routine.

Soldato
I think it's relatively good, but I'd always choose squats over leg press.

Provided your form is good and you can activate the right muscles enough, a 3 day split doesn't suffer from a lack of frequency.

After doing it for 6 weeks you feel like you want more frequency, move onto a full body routine. My favourite is an A and B day HST routine.

Yes I understand that squats are better than leg press.

But:

1. This is beginners routine, a beginner will do squats but with bad form
2. Me personally I have bad knees and squats hurt them, I’m actually waiting on an op to correct this (hopefully)

I think the question is, does any one have any objections as to why this is a complete waste of my time??

Last edited:
Soldato
Could always start with something like Stronglifts 5x5. Simple, yet effective programme that is based on a 3 day full body routine (Do you really want to do split days?). Should help build a strong base, to which you can move on to other programmes if you wish :)

-Edit- Posted at the same time as your response to squats. My bad.

Man of Honour

But:

1. This is beginners routine, a beginner will do squats but with bad form
2. Me personally I have bad knees and squats hurt them, I’m actually waiting on an op to correct this (hopefully)

I think the question is, does any one have any objections as to why this is a complete waste of my time??
Like I said, it's fine.

Man of Honour

But:

1. This is begineers routine, a begineer will do squats but with bad form
2. Me personally I have bad knees and squats hurt them, Im actually waiting on an op to correct this (hopefully)

It's best to get the form nailed as a beginner when lifting light weights, instead of waiting until you've got some strength then jumping in and trying to squat bigger numbers with poor form.
Obviously if you have a condition that means you can't squat then by all means use the alternatives such as leg presses, but for most squatting is the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom