*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I always either go for hemp or isolate - but since I drink such little milk or eat so little cheese the occasional protein shake hasn't caused me any issues. Bear in mind everyone is different, I can metabolise/digest lactose/milk fine - but I choose not to :) LiE et al. you all may well also be fine. :)

Associate
Sorry, didn't mean for it to come across as asking to be spoon-fed information but as with anything there is so much debate on each side its difficult to jump in objectively. Also due to its scientific nature some of the reading is not accessible to beginners on the subject.

I'm having a read through
http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1476-511X-6-25.pdf now and it seems like a nice summary. As FF has said it states that a little milk (500ml) is fine.

So I guess I should at least try cutting back and seeing if it makes any difference :p

Man of Honour
I think if you're currently drinking/consuming over 500ml per day (milk, cheese, whey, yoghurt etc...) cutting that by 1/5th per day would make a HUGE difference. My body composition changed so much over a month. However I was drinking a litre of the stuff and eating cheese and yoghurt almost daily.

Associate
I don't eat that much cheese/yoghurt but I probably average 1-2 litres a day. It'll be interesting to see if cutting that down has profound effect on me as it did with you/many others.

Have to say though, I'm in two minds, I want it to work so I look/feel better, but I cant say I wouldn't be happy if there was no difference so I could carry on consuming bucketloads :p

Associate
If any of you guys want a specific pubmed paper that requires a subscription, let me know, I'll probably be able to get it.

Man of Honour
Another gash bench 531 session:

102.5x6
BBB 65x10x5
BOR 70x10x4

Preceded by a couple of 400m repeats on the track. Nothing fast, just trying to strengthen my ankle.

I'm not really sure what to make of my bench performance, I was actually pretty conservative with my 1rm and I seem to have almost settled into that slightly lower 1rm. I'm going to try and mess around with my grip width and bar position on my chest and see if I can sort it out. I'm seeing my physio on thursday so I'll get him to look at my shoulder, although I think they're actually a lot healthier than they have been. Definitely doing a smolov jr bench cycle, as it could just be that the masses of pec/shoulder mobilisation has changed my positioning and that I need to cultivate some strength there.

Then I did some gymnastics in the evening. Great fun again, but my ankle started to get tired so my jumping started to look very wonky!

Associate
Yup yup!!!

Gymnastics tonight was awesome, I got my first muscle up and I also got my first front flip! WOOP!! :D

Video evidence :)

I think I might try it without the mat next week. Oh also the foam pit is the most fun thing in the world :).

Caporegime
That's nice a cheap at least. The sooner you see someone the better.

Also got out of bed today and yikes, upper back doms, forearm doms and upper chest doms.

Oh how I've missed them:D:cool:

Wonder if I'll be able for more gym tomorrow.

Yeah, not too bad price wise in all honesty...It's just expensive to me as I'm a poor arse at the moment :D Although slowly getting finances back up now hopefully.

So glad you're back on it chap, should be pleased you can train at least a little bit :)

No chalk in the gym seriously sucks. Got 140kg up and I could just feel it go ended up bouncing a bit! Didn't even dare try a 145-150 without chalk.

Liquid chalk?

I think if you're currently drinking/consuming over 500ml per day (milk, cheese, whey, yoghurt etc...) cutting that by 1/5th per day would make a HUGE difference. My body composition changed so much over a month. However I was drinking a litre of the stuff and eating cheese and yoghurt almost daily.

After my last email to you concerning diet...I probably only have milk in my tea now, and whatever amount is in whey (haven't ran out of impact yet to purchase isolate - Which is probably what I will do eventually just to try really)

Sadly I haven't been able to train properly as of late so haven't seen any major differences :( Although as you say, general digestion is better now considering I used to suffer from this a fair whack.

Got my physio re-booked for tonight thank God!!! I'm hoping the actual physio is better than the service they've provided so far :(

Soldato
Got my physio re-booked for tonight thank God!!! I'm hoping the actual physio is better than the service they've provided so far :(

Good luck with the physio tonight mate, hopefully set you down a good path to recovery :) would be good for you to be able to get in the gym regularly and stick to a nice stable rountine for 3 months.

You seem to have the diet and knowledge in order so i dont see why you wont make solid gains when your on track ;)

Soldato
Decent back session yesterday, loving 12/10/8, the pump in incredible!!!

WG Pullups; BWx8, +14kgx12/10/8, BWx8
Cable Row; 13 plates (no idea what is equates to) 12/10/8
T-Bar row; 4x45lb plates 12/10/8
DB Row; 48kg 12/10/8
Brocep curls; 12kgs 12/10/8
BB curls; 80lb 12/10/8
Concentrated curls; 10kg 12/10/8

Am going light on the bicep isolation, but am really concentrating on a slow rise and drop of the weight, am hoping the approach will overcome a 'plateau' in my arm growth, they refuse to grow in proportion with my torso, sucks balls.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Good luck with the physio tonight mate, hopefully set you down a good path to recovery :) would be good for you to be able to get in the gym regularly and stick to a nice stable rountine for 3 months.

You seem to have the diet and knowledge in order so i dont see why you wont make solid gains when your on track ;)

Tell me about it :( I did train for 3 months straight with no breaks before with numbers going up. Sadly the diet was shocking so just gained some fat really (well, I did gain some muscle, as a lot of my shirts now are getting too small :p) But probably just water.

I really HATE not being to do anything, maybe if I just said "Screw it" and started lifting I'd be fine...But quite frankly sitting here is hurting a bit, so rather not risk it at the moment.

Ta though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom