*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
My personal hate is those 'guys' who drop big weights all the time i.e. 40kg + dbs. They do it so people know they are hardcore and lifting the 'big ones'. To me, it looks like they can't control the weight.

I do zero eccentric on my deadlifts and get grouped with those idiots as the "loud *******s" by the gym manager (we don't see eye to eye :D)

Man of Honour
What shoulder exercises does everyone do?

I have been doing BB military press and DB front raise (simultaneous). But I think that BB military press and BB upright row might be better because military press targets the anterior and upright row targets the lateral deltoid.

Thoughts?
BB military press is just a military press.

You can do seated overhead press, BB push press, seated DB press, standing DB press, etc., but none of those are military presses.

/nitpick

Also, upright rows are a terrible exercise that need to die and be forgotten.

Man of Honour
I do zero eccentric on my deadlifts and get grouped with those idiots as the "loud *******s" by the gym manager (we don't see eye to eye :D)
Same :D

Did some PROPER olympic lifting today, as in I was actually shown how to do it. I've got lots to work on but it was good fun. It'll be a lot easier to get it perfect when my ankle is flaring up.

Soldato
BB military press is just a military press.

You can do seated overhead press, BB push press, seated DB press, standing DB press, etc., but none of those are military presses.

/nitpick

Also, upright rows are a terrible exercise that need to die and be forgotten.

According to exrx you can military press with a lever and with a cable :p anyway I am doing a normal BB one.

Care to expand on what's wrong with upright rows?

Man of Honour
According to exrx you can military press with a lever and with a cable :p anyway I am doing a normal BB one.

They're a horrible exercise for the shoulder joints, I'm sure someone will come along and explain exactly why soon enough.

Associate
Yeah the PTs in our gym actively enocurage people who are doing DLs to drop the weight, despite being on a first floor. The gents showers are below the free weights area and it honestly sounds like someones about to come crashing through sometimes.

Soldato
Are you Mork or Mindy?

Who said anything about hating? Stop being so sensitive :p

I was just spitting some a bit meme, tis' all :D

I avoid dropping weight loudly where possible, but sometimes it cannot be avoided. After a set of shoulder DB presses or DB Incline presses, it can be a bit tough to position without dropping it a couple of inches off of the floor for the sake of my joints.

Man of Honour

Well that isn't correct in the traditional sense. Military press is standing overhead barbell press with no leg drive and static feet.

Upright rows tend to encourage pulling with a shoulders forward position which will trash your shoulders. Even trying not to do this, as most people have internally rotated shoulders it will be unavoidable.
Brilliant, at my folks' place and they still have my old weights here.

Time to swolify my broceps with massive 15kg barbell curls! YEAH!
YEAH BUDDY

Soldato
Yeah i try not to drop them from too high up unless i'm working out shirtless to let everyone know i'm a sick ****

chestbrah-o.gif

Associate
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom