*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Did some shoulder work yesterday:

Smith Machine - Shoulder press 8x20kg, 8x40kg, 8x40kg. The last set was very hard.
DB Shoulder press - 8x20kg, 8x20kg - this lot was very tiring.
Seated DB rear delt raise - 8x10kg, 8x10kg, 8x10kg (chest on legs).
Front DB raises - 8x10kg, 8x10kg, 8x10kg.
Side DB raises - 8x10kg, 8x10kg, 8x10kg.

I found the DB shoulder press very hard after doing the Smith machine ones - should I have really done the Smith work? I forgot to do my shrugs as well :(

Kind regards,

David

Caporegime
It sure is, something a lot of people never really add weight to which is a shame.

What do you mean by overdoing them? Too much weight or bad technique? You gotta go down slow with heavy weight, if you dive bomb it's over...

That's because adding too much weight can actually be counter productive and it will just end up screwing your elbows up :p

Better to add more reps on really for something like that...Naturally testing every now and then shouldn't matter too much

Caporegime
Last set from last night. Not a big weight, but concentrating on form and depth.
No need for "form check discussion", I have already done that, just thought i'd throw it on here.

All I'd say (from what we can see) is watch the bum tuck...Somethings probably tight and causing it to do that. I'm sure someone else will come along and explain further :)

Devlis, how did the physio go last night???

Erm, okay I guess, she doesn't think anything major is wrong with the spine or anything, apparently my lower left side is just really tight basically so they've given me a couple of things to do four times a day....Which basically involves me going on all fours and sucking my stomach in. And every time I sit up I need to do the same and activate my glutes.

I have another appointment next week so we'll hopefully see some improvement for then :)

Probably hitting the gym as we speak! :p

HAHA! I wish :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Last set from last night. Not a big weight, but concentrating on form and depth.
No need for "form check discussion", I have already done that, just thought i'd throw it on here.

What advice did you get? Not sure what to say about the video if you don't want any feedback :)

That's because adding too much weight can actually be counter productive and it will just end up screwing your elbows up :p

Better to add more reps on really for something like that...Naturally testing every now and then shouldn't matter too much

Nothing wrong with heavy dips, so long as your form is good and controlled. What you can't see in the video is the handles are quite narrow, rather than the normally quite wide ones which I find better for triceps. I wouldn't go heavy if it was wider.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
To be honest a video from behind would really help show more. Side views are OK, but more can be seen from behind.

and no he's not bouncing.

Depth is good but not good when it breaks form. It's something it took me a while to get. Stop when you hit your limitations.

Have a look here http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21562627&postcount=253 you'll see how I used to squat is similar to oddjob, but now I low bar squat and it's been amazing, would never have hit 200kg without the changes.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
On the first squat I go nice and deep, but my butt tucks which rounds my back. This used to happen when I moved over to the low bar squat but now it's almost gone because I'm getting to my end range and not trying to get past it by breaking form.

Man of Honour
Don't see any tucking in Oddjob's video (maybe a fraction right at the bottom - but it really is a fraction and for that ROM it's impressive)? :confused: Pretty tight form tbh - though he's wearing trainers :mad: :p

Soldato
Erm, okay I guess, she doesn't think anything major is wrong with the spine or anything, apparently my lower left side is just really tight basically so they've given me a couple of things to do four times a day....Which basically involves me going on all fours and sucking my stomach in. And every time I sit up I need to do the same and activate my glutes.

I have another appointment next week so we'll hopefully see some improvement for then :)

Sounds like Psoas stretching. I know, as I get a lot of tightness in the same area as you and have been looking at the mwod vids on helping fix it :D

Soldato

Well thats excellent news, get back in the gym and go light, looks like you might have been over cautious and miss reading the signs of tightness and general poor form/bad posture! i think i do the same but it just sounds like i recover a little quicker ;)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Don't see any tucking in Oddjob's video (maybe a fraction right at the bottom - but it really is a fraction and for that ROM it's impressive)? :confused: Pretty tight form tbh - though he's wearing trainers :mad: :p

That's where tucking occurs. Tucking rounds the lower back which is a big no no. No use getting the little bit of extra depth at the cost of losing the lower back. Sounds to me like this is perhaps something you do but feel isn't a problem? The issue will only get worse as the weight increases.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mine is a lot more pronounced so I don't touch my butt cheeks to the floor anymore., However, in oddjob's case, he's got merely a hint if that of tucking, and considering he could pick up a pound coin from the floor for his depth, it's pretty bloody good. Such a small amount of tuck is really not relevant IME/IMO. :)

Sure drive for perfection by all means, but not at the detriment of training with reasonable form. Perfect form is not always achievable or necessary at all times - aim for it, and try for it, absolutely, but you'd be a fool (not you LiE, just "one would be") to think that perfect form will always be achievable.

I couldn't go that low without a significant amount of tucking, so I just stick to 3-4 inches below parallel.

Man of Honour
I do think you guys try a little too hard form 100% perfect form. While aiming for good form is spot on, holding back the weight you're capable of simply because your spending every week making adjustments based on feedback is silly.

As long as you're not putting yourself at risk of injury, and your working the correct muscle group for that exercise, then that's all that should matter

Soldato
What advice did you get? Not sure what to say about the video if you don't want any feedback :)

What i meant is i can already see the issues i have, it was more a personal form check to make sure i wasn't kidding myself.

TBH i'm not looking to up the weight. I'm sticking with weights that i'm comforable with, my heavy lifting days are behind me, and my priorities have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom