*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Last set from last night. Not a big weight, but concentrating on form and depth.
No need for "form check discussion", I have already done that, just thought i'd throw it on here.

Avoiding "form check discussion", get out of those trainers! :p

This looks like high bar, is it? If so, tucking is more forgiving on your back, but it still shouldn't be happening.

What are the issues you are aware of?
Hypothetically speaking, would you say he's bouncing at the bottom of the rep, on the last few reps?
It's not a simple topic, but a little bounce off your stretch reflex isn't always a bad thing. If you're doing it from a bad position or it causes you to lose position, it's absolutely a bad thing.

Mine is a lot more pronounced so I don't touch my butt cheeks to the floor anymore., However, in oddjob's case, he's got merely a hint if that of tucking, and considering he could pick up a pound coin from the floor for his depth, it's pretty bloody good. Such a small amount of tuck is really not relevant IME/IMO. :)
It depends on a few factors, but it certainly CAN be very bad practice.

Plus, it's always going to be "fine" until a disk blows. Injuries like that can come without warning, with no preceding pain. We can't always look to pain to signal problems, and people tend to ignore it anyway. Poor movement patterns are what lead to injuries, so that is where we must look to address problems. Why wait until you're in pain to fix the problem?
Sure drive for perfection by all means, but not at the detriment of training with reasonable form. Perfect form is not always achievable or necessary at all times - aim for it, and try for it, absolutely, but you'd be a fool (not you LiE, just "one would be") to think that perfect form will always be achievable.
Unless you're seriously broken, perfect form (which is actually a fairly broad range) is absolutely always achievable. Me definition of perfect form is: movement without compromising your joints intended function and loading pattern, and which provides the strongest, fastest and most productive outcome for the whole body or the athletes goals.
I couldn't go that low without a significant amount of tucking, so I just stick to 3-4 inches below parallel.
He is only 4 inches below parallel :p

I do think you guys try a little too hard form 100% perfect form. While aiming for good form is spot on, holding back the weight you're capable of simply because your spending every week making adjustments based on feedback is silly.

As long as you're not putting yourself at risk of injury, and your working the correct muscle group for that exercise, then that's all that should matter
I understand what you're saying, but it's important to remember that not everyone is a bodybuilder.

Even if they are, perfect form (in the way I describe above) will not only make you stronger, but will aid development and aesthetics.

There are many exercises that you just jump into without risking injury with less than perfect form, but there are others were this approach isn't ok.

However, I would be the first to give someone a slap if I thought they were making excuses and not pushing themselves hard enough.
I'm not saying it has to be 100%, but why not work towards better form? I wouldn't see a problem and say "oh well, that'll do", when I know I can spend a little time at the end of my workout correcting it. Something like butt tuck may seem not too bad, but anything that changes your spine position under load is not good.

I spent time correcting my form, and now I can squat 200kg. It helped me lift more.
Indeed.

Some people are will to take the risk though. I just hope they understand just how risky it is.

Of course, but you will get some spine position change towards your 1RMs or when tiring. It's just the way it is - unless you literally are a machine, or you compromise on depth or weight.

I agree working towards better form is important, and fixing underlying issues, but obsessing over it isn't. ;)
I'd say that if you're getting movement in your lumbar you need to take a serious look at your mechanics, even if it occurs at a high 1RM %.

Everyone SHOULD be able to perform perfect reps with light weights, too.

Oh, and my obsession is getting stronger and increasing general goodness ;):cool:

:D

Man of Honour
Well we've got to agree to disagree. :)

Clash of the titans shall we say? ;)

Don't get me wrong, mobility, flexibility and form IS important - however, I guess what I'm saying is that for beginners striving to hit 100% form is key, when you get to a more advanced level or where you can identify your own physical abilities / issues. For example, my physical "bone on bone" limit is such that I will never be able to hit full ATG - my body's bones lengths are such that they just don't work for that - however, I'm built perfectly for deadlifts. :)

Striving for improvements is important I agree, but for me, I know my body well enough, and achieved what I have by trial and error I agree in some cases, and I accept that had I had proper training and mobility work I may have got further - but I have (touch wood) never had any injuries related to lifting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Marky Mark lookin yoked.

wahlberg_mark_brj_040312_8944931.jpg

Then, a wild Rock appears!
Pain%20and%20Gain-20120405-13.jpg

okay.jpg

Soldato
Dwayne is the BOSS!

I know I always seem to be complaining (might have to change my name to Delvis :p) but I use this place to vent and get put on the straight and narrow.

I'm not eating enough :\

Today I have had:

- Coffee with some homemade snack of butter/hempseed/pumpkinseed/almond/sugar (not sure what else)
- 2 sausages, 3 eggs + baked beans
- PWO shake: fruit juice, 1 scoop of whey, 1 spoon of creatine
- Tuna pasta bake + garlic bread (wasn't huge tho)
- Chicken curry with shrooms/peppers and naan bread
- Having a sneaky PCB (post curry beer) now, only 275ml (a rarity, I probably average a pint a month)

Need to wake up early tomorrow so I can have:

Coffee with porridge before gym
PWO shake inc creatine
Chicken curry (left over) + brown rice
Chicken stir fry
One orange and maybe an apple

Hopefully I can slap another meal in there too, the key is to wake up early. Probably fish cake + sweet pots

Last edited:
Caporegime
5/3/1 - Week 2, Shedlifts

Two for the price of one tonight. Shoulder press was easy, deadlifts weren't great (CV limited and poor form) and the pullups and hanging leg raises, after 5x10 sets of deadlifts, tore my hands to pieces :o

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press 5/3/1
67.5 x 3
77.5 x 3
87.5 x 10

Deficit Deadlifts 5/3/1
142.5 x 3
162.5 x 3
182.5 x 10

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press 5x10
47.5 x 10
47.5 x 10
47.5 x 10
47.5 x 10
47.5 x 10

Deficit Deadlifts 5x10
102.5 x 10
102.5 x 10
102.5 x 10
102.5 x 10
102.5 x 10

Pullups
BW x 5
BW x 5 (+1)
BW x 4
BW x 4
BW x 4 (+1)

Hanging Knee Raises

BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10

Time = About 110 minutes

Soldato
Avoiding "form check discussion", get out of those trainers! :p

This looks like high bar, is it? If so, tucking is more forgiving on your back, but it still shouldn't be happening.

Same footwear as i used when i was lifting my heaviest. When the floor underneath you is soft and bouncy, having solid soles makes little difference. In fact those are stability trainers so they probably are better than the ones i used to use :p

It's mid bar... i've done a lot higher and a lot lower.

FYI: My best was done with sumo stance low bar following a WSB style program.

Man of Honour
Well we've got to agree to disagree. :)

Clash of the titans shall we say? ;)

Don't get me wrong, mobility, flexibility and form IS important - however, I guess what I'm saying is that for beginners striving to hit 100% form is key, when you get to a more advanced level or where you can identify your own physical abilities / issues. For example, my physical "bone on bone" limit is such that I will never be able to hit full ATG - my body's bones lengths are such that they just don't work for that - however, I'm built perfectly for deadlifts. :)

Striving for improvements is important I agree, but for me, I know my body well enough, and achieved what I have by trial and error I agree in some cases, and I accept that had I had proper training and mobility work I may have got further - but I have (touch wood) never had any injuries related to lifting.
More than happy to agree to disagree :)

I accept that it's partially my geeky side coming into it. As long as nobody is in danger of hurting themselves, s'all good!

(to an extent)

(maybe...)
5/3/1 - Week 2, Shedlifts

Two for the price of one tonight. Shoulder press was easy, deadlifts weren't great (CV limited and poor form) and the pullups and hanging leg raises, after 5x10 sets of deadlifts, tore my hands to pieces :o

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press 5/3/1
67.5 x 3
77.5 x 3
87.5 x 10

Deficit Deadlifts 5/3/1
142.5 x 3
162.5 x 3
182.5 x 10

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press 5x10
47.5 x 10
47.5 x 10
47.5 x 10
47.5 x 10
47.5 x 10

Deficit Deadlifts 5x10
102.5 x 10
102.5 x 10
102.5 x 10
102.5 x 10
102.5 x 10

Pullups
BW x 5
BW x 5 (+1)
BW x 4
BW x 4
BW x 4 (+1)

Hanging Knee Raises

BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10

Time = About 110 minutes
Yeah, I've learnt that having to double up is fairly tortuous!

Monster weights being thrown around regardless!
Same footwear as i used when i was lifting my heaviest. When the floor underneath you is soft and bouncy, having solid soles makes little difference. In fact those are stability trainers so they probably are better than the ones i used to use :p

It's mid bar... i've done a lot higher and a lot lower.

FYI: My best was done with sumo stance low bar following a WSB style program.
That floor sounds horrible :(

I'd like to play around with high bar, but I currently lack sufficient cooperation from my right ankle. Some day!

Both my deadlift and OHP sessions of 531 were a bit pants. Deads I can soundly put down to only having a days rest after squats AND doing olympic lifting in the morning, and my OHP is probably just a little weak... but possibly made worse by sports massage I had done today.

I only got 6 on my deads "+" set when I know I'm good for at least 8, probably 10. OHP was for 7, which isn't too bad really but I wanted more. Did a load of shoulder pre-hab work and then some arm work today too.

Busy week, I'm resting up until monday now when I aim to demolish some squats.

Soldato
I was feeling really lazy today, but my friend was going to the gym so that gave me the kick I needed. I still didn't do the routine that was next on my list, instead I just did shoulders.

Upright Row (EZ) 10 * 10 10 * 15 10 * 17.5
Military Press 8 * 20 8 * 20 3 * 25 7 * 20
Front Raise 5 * 5(DB) 8 * 10(EZ) 8 * 12.5(EZ) 8 * 12.5(EZ)
Shrugs (BB) 8 * 20 10 * 30 8 * 40 8 * 35
Behind Neck Press (BB) 8 * 20 8 * 20 5 * 20

I know what you mean about upright row... I won't be doing them again, they started to feel nasty on my last set.

Man of Honour
It's made extra pointless by the fact that there are exercises that stimulate those muscles better while promoting better shoulder health.

Caporegime
Yeah, I've learnt that having to double up is fairly tortuous!
Gym closes at 1pm tomorrow and I'm not a fan of morning or early afternoon workouts. Always feel at my strongest after I've had a few meals in me so it made sense to get them both out of the way tonight.

Both my deadlift and OHP sessions of 531 were a bit pants. Deads I can soundly put down to only having a days rest after squats AND doing olympic lifting in the morning, and my OHP is probably just a little weak... but possibly made worse by sports massage I had done today.
197.5? My deadlifts suffered due to evil DOMs in my hamstrings again. Squats along with GHRs are literally destroying them on Mondays which means I'm changing my form and using more back to compensate.

Man of Honour
Now you can't say that and then not say which exercises you have in mind.
Facepulls primarily, but also performing the usual press variations with good form is also good.

Lots of rear delt work too, and anything where you can incorporate scapular retraction.
Gym closes at 1pm tomorrow and I'm not a fan of morning or early afternoon workouts. Always feel at my strongest after I've had a few meals in me so it made sense to get them both out of the way tonight.

197.5? My deadlifts suffered due to evil DOMs in my hamstrings again. Squats along with GHRs are literally destroying them on Mondays which means I'm changing my form and using more back to compensate.
I put 200 on the bar because I was working with someone else. That's exactly where my DOMS was getting me, it didn't help that I forgot to drink water that day :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom