*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I do think you guys try a little too hard form 100% perfect form. While aiming for good form is spot on, holding back the weight you're capable of simply because your spending every week making adjustments based on feedback is silly.

As long as you're not putting yourself at risk of injury, and your working the correct muscle group for that exercise, then that's all that should matter

In LiE's case though, perfecting form has actually allowed him to increase his weights.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I do think you guys try a little too hard form 100% perfect form. While aiming for good form is spot on, holding back the weight you're capable of simply because your spending every week making adjustments based on feedback is silly.

As long as you're not putting yourself at risk of injury, and your working the correct muscle group for that exercise, then that's all that should matter

I'm not saying it has to be 100%, but why not work towards better form? I wouldn't see a problem and say "oh well, that'll do", when I know I can spend a little time at the end of my workout correcting it. Something like butt tuck may seem not too bad, but anything that changes your spine position under load is not good.

I spent time correcting my form, and now I can squat 200kg. It helped me lift more.

Man of Honour
But he's been lifting 8 years, he has the foundations and experience to do that. The majority on here haven't been lifting anywhere near as long and would benefit more from getting on with it with good form, and not aiming for faultless form

Man of Honour
Of course, but you will get some spine position change towards your 1RMs or when tiring. It's just the way it is - unless you literally are a machine, or you compromise on depth or weight.

I agree working towards better form is important, and fixing underlying issues, but obsessing over it isn't. ;)

Soldato
But he's been lifting 8 years, he has the foundations and experience to do that. The majority on here haven't been lifting anywhere near as long and would benefit more from getting on with it with good form, and not aiming for faultless form

I don't really think many on here are aiming for faultless form though? Who isn't 'getting on with it'?

Personally, I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing things properly because I've had an injury (wasn't from incorrect form but it opened my eyes up) before and don't wish to get injured again or use incorrect muscles, especially on deadlift! I don't wish to ruin my back. I must be different from most people on here because I'm not really fussed about lifting big weights.

Caporegime
Don't see any tucking in Oddjob's video (maybe a fraction right at the bottom - but it really is a fraction and for that ROM it's impressive)? :confused: Pretty tight form tbh - though he's wearing trainers :mad: :p

Oh it is minor, just merely pointing it out although he's probably aware of it...

Naturally peoples limitations are different. I just know my backs screwed because of it, and that I didn't just stop working on that session then and there when I should have.

Learn from ones mistakes I guess :p

Sounds like Psoas stretching. I know, as I get a lot of tightness in the same area as you and have been looking at the mwod vids on helping fix it :D

Possibly, she didn't actually say :p

Well thats excellent news, get back in the gym and go light, looks like you might have been over cautious and miss reading the signs of tightness and general poor form/bad posture! i think i do the same but it just sounds like i recover a little quicker ;)

I'm hoping to get back in the gym after next week when I'm back at work (school holidays) i'll take this and next week to work on the corrective work I've been given and start back light I guess.

The reason for my over cautiousness is 1.) it's my back :p and 2.) just because i'd rather fix the issue properly rather than winging it and causing issues later :)

Aye, I've always taken ages to recover from injuries, my ankle has only JUST started to not give me much jip recently and that was injured nearly 4/5 years ago. And my shoulders still giving me jip and that was two years ago.

My body just sucks basically :p

Caporegime
I don't really think many on here are aiming for faultless form though? Who isn't 'getting on with it'?

Personally, I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing things properly because I've had an injury (wasn't from incorrect form but it opened my eyes up) before and don't wish to get injured again or use incorrect muscles, especially on deadlift! I don't wish to ruin my back. I must be different from most people on here because I'm not really fussed about lifting big weights.

Someone will pick that up :p

But to be honest, if you're happy with 'just going to the gym' and moving some weight around and it makes you happy, then fair enough :)

I was when I first started

Soldato
Someone will pick that up :p

But to be honest, if you're happy with 'just going to the gym' and moving some weight around and it makes you happy, then fair enough :)

I was when I first started

That's not what I meant at all.

I meant I'd rather ensure I'm sticking to good form, even if it means doing 30kg deadlifts to get form locked down rather than just getting on with it and bashing them out. It was just a general example not picking anyone out. It's also why I don't do 1rms, for me they're pointless at this moment in time.

Caporegime
1 RM's are generally pointless all together, merely something to show what you can do for 1 rep :p It's not going to actually help in the general scheme of things :)

I haven't done a 1RM for donkeys years actually :o

Associate
1 RM's are generally pointless all together, merely something to show what you can do for 1 rep :p It's not going to actually help in the general scheme of things :)

I haven't done a 1RM for donkeys years actually :o

How would you propose you set up a peaking program with out some value for 1RM?

Man of Honour
1rm are definitely NOT pointless. It's a good way of pushing your body, and also a good way of establishing what volume / weight is needed for your programme. What a silly thing to post.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I wouldn't say 1RM are good if you want to push your body. Sure it's very tough, but doing more volume would be better. Also doing 1RM often will kill you, true story :p

Last edited:
Soldato
By the way, regarding those who I spoke to yesterday about deadlifts. I certainly wasn't doing them correctly. No glute doms at all today :\ no quad doms either so **** knows what I'm doing? Perhaps I do need to lift more?

/backpedaling

The plan for today is:

Mobility, especially on glutes and legs
Skipping with pressups in between skipping rounds
Lots of food

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wouldn't say 1RM are good if you want to push your body. Sure it's very tough, but doing more volume would be better. Also doing 1RM often will kill you, true story :p

No. They are a good way of pushing your body :) Your pushing what your body is able to lift and move. ergo, it's pushing your body. However, yes, it's not something to train for weekly or daily.

Of course, volume has a more dramatic effect, I agree, to help build up an increased 1RM. However, actually performing the 1RM or doing max lift sessions ARE good.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It's a hard one to teach. I spent sometime yesterday showing a guy in the gym how to deadlift, and even after explaining the finer points he was struggling to bring in the correct muscles. His form was fine though after a bit of tweaking. He has just got the all clear from his physio to deadlift again after hurting his back. I knew this and so when I saw he was using his back to lift the weight off the floor and hyper extending I cringed.

Anyway his form is now good and I think he just needs to spend more time doing the lift. It's hard to transfer to someone else what a proper deadlift should 'feel' like. It comes with time and thinking mechanically about the movement.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

No. They are a good way of pushing your body :) Your pushing what your body is able to lift and move. ergo, it's pushing your body. However, yes, it's not something to train for weekly or daily.

Of course, volume has a more dramatic effect, I agree, to help build up an increased 1RM. However, actually performing the 1RM or doing max lift sessions ARE good.

What I meant to say is that there are better ways to push your body.

Soldato
By the way, regarding those who I spoke to yesterday about deadlifts. I certainly wasn't doing them correctly. No glute doms at all today :\ no quad doms either so **** knows what I'm doing? Perhaps I do need to lift more?

Depends on the weight if your muscles are handling the lifts nicely you wont get doms from normal rep ranged sets.

If i went to the gym and did DL's with perfect form but only 80kg i wouldnt get doms.

Man of Honour
What I meant to say is that there are better ways to push your body.

On a week by week basis, and for a general training programme - I agree entirely.

However, to get your body to the edge of it's performance you need to do some max lift days or sessions.

It's like runners doing lots of 5-10-15k runs. Then doing a marathon - the marathon is equivalent of a 1RM session. It's beyond what you train your body for regularly.

Soldato
Doms(or lack of) don't necessarily mean anything.

Depends on the weight if your muscles are handling the lifts nicely you wont get doms from normal rep ranged sets.

If i went to the gym and did DL's with perfect form but only 80kg i wouldnt get doms.

It's a hard one to teach. It's hard to transfer to someone else what a proper deadlift should 'feel' like. It comes with time and thinking mechanically about the movement.

So, taking all this on board, where do I go next? I'm going to do some mobility stuff anyway. From what I was told yesterday, my bum was way too low, so I'll watch some more videos on how to set up properly.

Should I try 35/40kg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom