*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Only recently just sorted my deadlift form too Sigma - majority of the DOMS I felt were lower back, I initially thought I had done my back in but the pain completely dissapated after another day or so.

Just something to be aware of incase it happens :)

Along with the video LiE posted, take a look at Mark Ripptoe videos too,.

Caporegime
1 RM's are generally pointless all together, merely something to show what you can do for 1 rep :p It's not going to actually help in the general scheme of things :)

I haven't done a 1RM for donkeys years actually :o

Think a few folk have said this already, but no there not.

I try and calculate my reps on 70-80% of my 1RM, rather than just guessing what weight I can do which means I'm lifting less over my session. Plus it gives me more confidence repping higher weights know what I can 1RM.

Plus its fun when your doing it with a training partner who is about the same as you :D

Caporegime
No. They are a good way of pushing your body :) Your pushing what your body is able to lift and move. ergo, it's pushing your body. However, yes, it's not something to train for weekly or daily.

Of course, volume has a more dramatic effect, I agree, to help build up an increased 1RM. However, actually performing the 1RM or doing max lift sessions ARE good.

How often would you say its worth doing your 1RM, in the past 4 months I think I've done my 1RM on deadlifts two or three times and bench the once.

I would assume every other month or longer?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I would test when you think you've made a big enough improvement. No use doing it if you think you've gained a few kilo. For example I did 2 months of 531 then tested my 1RM. My squat was the one I was mainly interested in, it went from 172 to 200. This meant I could start cycle 3 with a better weight for my lifts.

Soldato
Deads day! :) (though still sore from squats! >.<)

Deadlift
5x 117.5
5x 135
9x 155

Cleans
3x 60
3x 60
3x 60

Bent over row (one of the few exercises where I'm 100% happy with my form ^^)
10x 50
10x 50
10x 50
10x 50
10x 50

Chins
5x5 BW

Captains of crush
3x3 per hand...so close >.<

Soldato
Yep. knowthatfeel.jpg

Glad I'm not alone.

If I'm standing and look down, cannot see my left nipple, but can slightly see my right (datderpecs).

It's something like 1/4 inch difference, very very tiny but noticable to me!

Am taking a friend to do shoulders today on a guest pass, he is going to be in agony :)

Caporegime
1rm are definitely NOT pointless. It's a good way of pushing your body, and also a good way of establishing what volume / weight is needed for your programme. What a silly thing to post.

I wouldn't say 1RM are good if you want to push your body. Sure it's very tough, but doing more volume would be better. Also doing 1RM often will kill you, true story :p

As above, that's what I meant by it really.

Minus the true story bit mind ;)

EDIT: Either way, it's been discussed in further detail and elaborated more further up.

For what I've been doing, testing 1RM's so often would be less needed.

Last edited:
Soldato
In a general every day training sense, they're pointless yes. For things like 531 then I can understand why you may test it.

i am doing an every day program and knowing my 1rm has let me progress forward so that i can progressively set my self a new one rep max and always work up to 80% of it on my final working set.

I am not doing any set program like wendler, just a general one i am applying some basic similar principles to!

Knowing your 1rm is useful, i would say test it whenever you need to. So starting a new routine and need your 1rm, test it. Feel you have made good progress but not sure if you are ready to step up to a more advance program, test it. Want to give your ego a boost because your lifting has been going really well recently, test it. Worried your taking backwards steps, test it.

As a ground rule i generally do mine every 3-6 months.

Last edited:
Caporegime
i am doing an every day program and knowing my 1rm has let me progress forward so that i can progressively set my self a new one rep max and always work up to 80% of it on my final working set.

I am not doing any set program like wendler, just a general one i am applying some basic similar principles to!

Knowing your 1rm is useful, i would say test it whenever you need to. So starting a new routine and need your 1rm, test it. Feel you have made good progress but not sure if you are ready to step up to a more advance program, test it. Want to give your ego a boost because your lifting has been going really well recently, test it. Worried your taking backwards steps, test it.

As a ground rule i generally do mine every 3 months or more.

Fair play, thanks for elaborating :)

I've never trained long enough to get to that stage yet then I guess. Last time I tested a 1RM on dead lifts for instance was before XMas and that was 110KG for a couple of reps (so yes, PB theoretically)

However before my injury I was doing 85KG for 3 x 8, so more than likely my 1RM would have gone up, and I had loads left in the tank as it was just the grip starting to give up. As long as you are making progress in your training and not stalling etc, then fair enough really. :)

Soldato
1 RM's are generally pointless all together, merely something to show what you can do for 1 rep :p It's not going to actually help in the general scheme of things :)

I haven't done a 1RM for donkeys years actually :o

Not true, everytime I beat an old PB, my penis grows by an inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom