*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Nah that last one is just perfection. Strong legs, dat ass, not over the top abs and no ridiculous fake teddies. hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngngngngngngnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng might have to go to the gym today after all

The bird with the pink sports bra thingy on?

Look at the mirror reflection, cover everything above the bra and it screams 'bloke' to me. Instant boner killer.

The one from Saturday is hot though. Mmmm!

Last edited:
Caporegime
5/3/1 - Week 3, Squats

Legs and lower back felt heavily fatigued and I felt like I had no strength as soon as I did my first warmup set. Struggled through my first two sets then had to push myself to the limit to manage 5 on my + set which was extremely disappointing considering how easy 190 x 5 was 4 weeks ago. Feel like my leg strength is going backwards fast and I'm really struggling with the 5 x 10 sets :(

Squats 5/3/1
145.2 x 5
162.5 x 3
182.5 x 5

Squats 5x10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10
97.5 x 10

GHRs
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10

Time = 94 minutes

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
PK, did you perhaps start too high with the figures for squat? You shouldn't be getting low numbers like that at any point. If you are struggling now you'll be dead in a few cycles :)

Caporegime
Am I doing wrong by going into the gym, first exercise E.G Deadlifts and doing;

Normally 60kgs for warmups

Then put more weight on for my first set, add more weight, next set, add more weight next set.

Should I be doing all my working sets at the same weight? I really need to start a diary.

Caporegime
PK, did you perhaps start too high with the figures for squat? You shouldn't be getting low numbers like that at any point. If you are struggling now you'll be dead in a few cycles :)
Nope. Got a spreadsheet that worked it out for me. Used 190 x 5 as my weight (which was comfortable) then the spreadsheet took 10% off that to give me my working weights. If I continue as I am I'll be struggling to rep 180 in a few weeks.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Begbie, what I do in 531 for warmups is percentages of my 1RM.

40% x 5
50% x 5
60% x 3

That's the warmup done.
For working sets you want a weight that will be hard and but manageable for 3 or so sets, a kind of middle ground. In 531 you save yourself for an all out set at the heaviest weight, which makes sense to me.

When I was doing mass training I would do a set of 10 on a weight I know is pretty tough. The following set I would then increase the weight to something I know I can still do 9-10. I do this for 3 sets.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Nope. Got a spreadsheet that worked it out for me. Used 190 x 5 as my weight (which was comfortable) then the spreadsheet took 10% off that to give me my working weights. If I continue as I am I'll be struggling to rep 180 in a few weeks.

Fair enough, I use the same spreadsheet I think.
If the numbers are fine then it must be something else. I don't do BBB but I imagine it's pretty tough going. Maybe try changing it for a cycle to something other than BBB.

One other thing you could do is test your 1RM for your lifts in week 3, it will ensure your weights are spot on.

Caporegime
Begbie, what I do in 531 for warmups is percentages of my 1RM.

40% x 5
50% x 5
60% x 3

That's the warmup done.
For working sets you want a weight that will be hard and but manageable for 3 or so sets, a kind of middle ground. In 531 you save yourself for an all out set at the heaviest weight, which makes sense to me.

When I was doing mass training I would do a set of 10 on a weight I know is pretty tough. The following set I would then increase the weight to something I know I can still do 9-10. I do this for 3 sets.

This is essentially what I do, execpt do 5x5 for Squats,Bench and Deads.

Would a 5/3/1 be a good workout for a fairly new guy. Though I'm pretty much at 1.5 x bw deads, 1.2 squats and 1 bench. I assume 5/3/1 is a strength training programme?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm in week 3 or do you mean my next cycle?

The way I did mine was instead of doing my 1+ sets in week 3 I did actual 1RM tests. Took these figures and used them for the next cycle (-10% of course). It's great if you think your lifts aren't spot on, which can happen to start with. If it's just squats you want to test then maybe you can fit them in before the next cycle?

If 190 is your week 3 weight for squats I'd say your actual 1RM should be about 230-235kg. Have you lifted that before? Calculating a 1RM based on a set like 190x5 can be tricky, even thought the spreadsheet allows it.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
This is essentially what I do, execpt do 5x5 for Squats,Bench and Deads.

Would a 5/3/1 be a good workout for a fairly new guy. Though I'm pretty much at 1.5 x bw deads, 1.2 squats and 1 bench. I assume 5/3/1 is a strength training programme?

531 is all about strength. It's a great program but you need to understand it's purpose. It's a long term, very slow/steady strength program.

If you're still making progress on 5x5 then I'd continue. 531 is more advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom