*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
How quick does the body 'lose' muscle/strength if you stop weightlifting?

Got a 2 week holiday coming up fairly soon and can bet they won't have any weights in the gym.

Probably being completely pedantic.

Wouldn't worry about it, few weeks after you're back you'll be almost back to where you are. Just eat well.

My big holiday is a cruise with a fully equipped gym including free weights ;)

Soldato
Oh nice! I use a hockey ball! :eek:

Use fat gripz for pull ups. Omg so hard!

I might have to give that a go. I did originally use them to get strength back in to my forearms due to an operation, but haven't had much use since. I just attach them to a dumbbell, hold the sides and roll away :D

For the shins/ankles, I just attach a small weight to either side (0.5kg), which then allows to roll up and down my ankle and shin.

I do have a foam roller and dog ball too, but do like the Fat gripz for putting pressure on certain areas.

Last edited:
Soldato
How quick does the body 'lose' muscle/strength if you stop weightlifting?

Got a 2 week holiday coming up fairly soon and can bet they won't have any weights in the gym.

Probably being completely pedantic.

i lost 6 weeks due to injury, illness a housemove and lack of motivation

went from squat 110kg 5x5 to squat 85kg 5x5......

Soldato
My quote of the day:

"Few men during their lifetime come anywhere near exhausting the resources dwelling within them. There are deep wells of strength that are never used."
Richard E. Byrd

Soldato
Did anyone else **** up over bank holiday?

Haven't eaten properly since friday, have been raving/drinking throughout (DnB rawks my sawks off), sleep deprived, depleted of just about every nutrient I swear!

Got some serious making up to do this week :D

My work shirt is a bit looser than it was last week, although it may just be placebo!!!

Yep.

Easter and chocolate is b$£tch.

Soldato

fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap

Incline DB - 12/10/8
Flat BB - 12/10/8
Weighted Dips - 12/10/8
Cable Fly - 12/10/8
Rope pulldowns 12/12/12
Cable kicks 12/12/12

Was hoping for the 50's for 3 working sets on Incline this week, but given my diet the last 4 days it's very unlikely!!! Looking forward to likely alcohol sweats!! :(

Last edited:
Associate
I had horrible 'bad diet' sweats when i returned to the gym after three days away. Always wondered why it happens, a build up of crappy glycogen or something?

Soldato
'Gym' is now fully part of my day to day life routine which is great. I've trained before, but not consistently or as hard as I have now. I used to go for two weeks then sack it off and then go back again with a few mates for a few weeks and sack it off again.

I set off with the attitude of hitting the gym before work so my evenings are free for 'me time', with the luxury of work only 2.5 miles away and a gym even less than that it just made sense... so 3 months down the line things are going great, the gym is where my day starts 4 times a week.

This morning was chest and triceps.

Bench Press:
Bar = + x 20
20kg+ x 15
30kg+ x 12
40kg+ x 8
40kg+ x 6

3 month review - strength is greatly reduced in the morning compared to afternoon / evening workouts. My strength has improved in the 3 months from struggling with 30kg+ to doing 40KG+ for reps.

Flat DB Chest Press:
16kg x 10
18kg x 10
20kg x 10

3 month review - weight has increased from starting with 12kg for 3 sets of 10 to 20kg so chuffed with these. Tempted to start at 18kg and work through two sets of 20kg now..

Incline DB Chest Press:
16kg x 10
18kg x 10
18kg x 8

SkullCrushers: (on cable as benches were in use)
12.5kg x 12
15kg x 10
17.5kg x 10

Rope Pulldown:
10kg x 10
12.5kg x 10
15kg x 10

Overhead Rope Tricep Extension:
10kg x 10
12.5kg x 10
15kg x 10

Question - is it wise to pyramid like I am or just go balls out and lift for example on my DB chest press 20kg for 3 sets? My chest was pretty fatigued by the end so I know it's taxing the muscle but I remember reading a previous post saying why are you lowering the weights for working sets and make them all count.

Note to self: 1) I need to know the correct names for the exercises when jotting them down.
2) I need to include dips in my chest and tricep days and pull ups / chin ups in my back and biceps days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom