*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
pft, don't be weak. 50s are easy and anything less is cheating yourself ;)

Managed;

30'sx12 WU
50'sx12 WS
50'sx9 WS
50'sx6 WS

Only missed 3 reps from 2 sets (was going for 12/10/8 but was a little dissapointed, I felt sick the entire session but that'll be because of the 'come down' from the weekend, will have a crack next week with a weeks decent eating in me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be interested in any tips you could share.

Copy and pasta'd from another post I made:
On BB Bench, be mindful of the following:

• Arch your lower back up slightly so you can fit your hand between the bench and your back
  • Pin your shoulders back, as if you're trying to hold a pencil between your shoulder blades
  • Whilst pressing, consciously squeeze your chest in as you lift. This essentially means squeezing your elbows in together as you press
  • When returning the bar to your chest, keep it slow and controlled - the negative is also important on a pressing movement.
  • The bar should be hovering over your chest/nipples during the pressing movement, not raising above your shoulders/neck!

Really focussing on squeezing your pecs will result in hitting them much harder in my experience. There's no reason why your chest should feel un-worked during flat benching.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Managed;

30'sx12 WU
50'sx12 WS
50'sx9 WS
50'sx6 WS

Only missed 3 reps from 2 sets but was a little dissapointed, I felt sick the entire session but that'll be because of the 'come down' from the weekend, will have a crack next week with a weeks decent eating in me.

Good man. That's not much of warm up though :p

Soldato
Shameless double post 'cause I want this one to be all about meeeeeee:

First session back after a week off this morning. Not having lifted anything heavy for a week made me want to smash my back to pieces.
Wide grip pull ups at bodyweight: 8x6x6

Deadlifts @ 115kg: 8x8x8

And the rest was just the usual. Deadlifts were tiring and sweat on my hands started to become an issue. Not sure if my gym allows chalk, will have to ask - failing that, I've got some phaggot gloves.

Did however lost a kilo and a half on holiday, oops. Thought people were meant to put weight on :p So I'm sat at 80kg bang on this morning (pre-poo, post-wee). Continuing the cut for summer though, hopefully get the abs out a tad more.

Soldato
Copy and pasta'd from another post I made:
On BB Bench, be mindful of the following:

• Arch your lower back up slightly so you can fit your hand between the bench and your back
  • Pin your shoulders back, as if you're trying to hold a pencil between your shoulder blades
  • Whilst pressing, consciously squeeze your chest in as you lift. This essentially means squeezing your elbows in together as you press
  • When returning the bar to your chest, keep it slow and controlled - the negative is also important on a pressing movement.
  • The bar should be hovering over your chest/nipples during the pressing movement, not raising above your shoulders/neck!

Really focussing on squeezing your pecs will result in hitting them much harder in my experience. There's no reason why your chest should feel un-worked during flat benching.

Thanks, sounds like I'm not far off good form then. One thing I always question when doing bench press is the position of my elbows in relation to my wrists, and also how far my elbows are from my body.

(The vids might answer this but I can't watch them at the mo).

Soldato
Definitely notice a difference in performance between training in the morning (fasted) and evening (fed) - in fact I'm going to completely drop all morning sessions and do them after work. A little frustrating since I have to put up with all the meatheads but worth it though.

Performance or strength?

If it's strength, does it really matter what weight you lift? As long as the muscles are being taxed during your sets I take the view it's not a problem.

I train in the morning before work and know I could lift more in the evening but training in the morning suits me better as I can keep focus as it's quieter. I've never been the most focused of individuals so this works in my favour.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Think about it, why would the weight be in front or behind your elbows?
You want the forearms vertical, which will keep the wrists inline with the elbows.

Last edited:
Associate
Performance or strength?

If it's strength, does it really matter what weight you lift? As long as the muscles are being taxed during your sets I take the view it's not a problem.

I train in the morning before work and know I could lift more in the evening but training in the morning suits me better as I can keep focus as it's quieter. I've never been the most focused of individuals so this works in my favour.

It's whatever suites an individual best of course :)

I just prefer having the extra energy during the evening so I can try for the heavier weights. Also, training during the same time period each day will help me track progress a little better - before i was comparing my weekday fasted/tired morning lifts to my fed/rested lifts on Friday/Sunday.

Not to mention that going to the gym in the morning was causing me to be late for work, which is never good ;)

Man of Honour
The bar shouldn't make more than a small arc from the chest upwards. A bit of a rear arc is "ok". Though also the form depends if you're doing powerlifting style or not.

When the bar's at the bottom you should explode with your feet as well - you get a lot of power from your legs when benching. Before starting be sure that you lock your core down, lock the shoulder blades back together, engage the lats as well, and keep chest up and don't let shoulders roll forwards. Make sure you push with your feet on your heals - this will stop hyperextending your back they should be perpendicular to the floor, and keep a strong arch and again - strong core! Stare at the ceiling, not at the bar.

Get a spotter, you don't want to unrack with bent arms. KEep your wrists locked, and not bent. I prefer a grip of just more than shoulder width apart. Don't lift your head, but don't push with it either. Elbows shouldn't be perpendicular nor parallel to the upper body, but in between.

Just to recap:

Core locked.
Strong arch.
Shoulder blades together.
Locked wrists.
Heals on the floor.
Straight arms.
Chest up.
Lock core.
Push with legs.
Core tight.
Don't have your elbows too wide or too narrow.
Don't roll shoulders forwards.
Core tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom