*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Probably a crude explaination, but I would imagine the positioning of your hands on the bar will dictate how much activation occurs in your pecs. The wider you are, the more reliant you are on your pecs, but the greater the angle of your elbows.

There'll be a middle ground obviously. But I tend to find hands placed on the bar just beyond shoulder width, elbows 90 degrees, forearms verticle at hte bottom of the movement.

Man of Honour
You don't really want to go too wide as you can put a lot of strain on the shoulder - hence why going at 90 degrees to your body isn't really advisable. Benching is a compound exercise anyway, proper isolation should be done with DBs, and dips :)

Get advice from numerous sources, Rippetstoe's advice is very good, but generic, as it doesn't cater for different body shapes, limb lengths etc... Make sure you get some form checks whilst doing it, and maybe video yourself. Though as long as you follow the basics from Rippetoe and other numerous experts, they will all say similar things (I never go by 1 person's advice). Just remember the basics.

Last edited:
Soldato
Performance or strength?

If it's strength, does it really matter what weight you lift? As long as the muscles are being taxed during your sets I take the view it's not a problem.

I train in the morning before work and know I could lift more in the evening but training in the morning suits me better as I can keep focus as it's quieter. I've never been the most focused of individuals so this works in my favour.

I did used to train in the evening, but changed it to morning while fasted, as its a lot easier for me to get out the way before work. Although it does mean getting up extra early, but im seeing good gains in strength :)

Man of Honour
This.
There's no way I'd be able to push my body to it's max without the right fuel in the tank.

I am a convert. I used to, and I still can. But by God does it feel better to have some scran rolling around in the tank when pushing yourself hard!

Indeed. It's just better depending on what you're trying to achieve. I'm after performance on the day of training. Being light headed, out of energy and starving isn't conducive to decent performance.

Furthermore, I don't buy that training fasted ******** that's peddled - it makes no sense biologically.

Soldato
Wouldn't worry about doing 1RM to be honest. I trained for at least 6 years before I even knew what a 1RM was :p and I was bench pressing 100-130kg for most of that 6 years (yea, progress sucked :))

I wasn't planning on doi it. But my friend had just finished cg bench so there was 60kg on the bar (he's pretty strong, a great training partner actually because he really knows his stuff) and he could spot so I decided to have a go... Yeah that went down fast! Changed to 50 and got it up... Just.

Stick with it and you'll get that in no time. :)

Disco Boy, just nail your bench form and your numbers will start flying up - the same was definitely true with me. If you're unsure about your bench form just sat and I'll post up my usual tips - I'm really quite confident with my own bench form =)

Thanks. Most of my benching I do with dumbbells actually. That's because a lot of the time I am the only one in the gym and I don't want to get trapped under the bar (again... But last time it was cg so I could widen my grip and get out). I figure that using dumbbells won't hurt because of all the stabilisation required.

Associate
It seems to work for whats-his-face from the lean gains website, he is the definition of ripped. But how much of that is down to actually following what he preaches we don't know.. :p

Soldato
Thanks. Most of my benching I do with dumbbells actually. That's because a lot of the time I am the only one in the gym and I don't want to get trapped under the bar (again... But last time it was cg so I could widen my grip and get out). I figure that using dumbbells won't hurt because of all the stabilisation required.

The same theory for DB bench I think :)

I actually bench alone, and I've failed twice in memory. I simply rest the bar on my chest and push up one side til the other reaches the floor, then roll out from under it :p Not the most gracious way, but whatchagunnado.

It's much easier to simply know your limit, and not push for that extra rep that you only might get!

Soldato
I feel heavy and lethargic training unfasted now, I've never experienced a lack of energy or light headedness training fasted (approx 12.5-13 hrs).
It's really not that long in the grand scheme of things, not enough to really concern your body anyway. All that energy I ate at 8pm doesn't magically disappear as I sleep.

Man of Honour
I feel heavy and lethargic training unfasted now, I've never experienced a lack of energy or light headedness training fasted (approx 12.5-13 hrs).
It's really not that long in the grand scheme of things, not enough to really concern your body anyway. All that energy I ate at 8pm doesn't magically disappear as I sleep.

I'm the opposite, I feel jacked usually if I have food, and just unmotivated and distracted if I'm hungry when training. However I don't do bodybuilding type of training. :) I like my energy.

Man of Honour
I'm not exactly fasted per say... I have a banana and 1/2 grapefruit before heading down but I see your point.

If you were to take some BCAAs before or during the workout you'd improve your work out, or achieve better results. :)

Since I'm not a supp person, that's why I don't enjoy training fasted - as I wouldn't get the nutrients I need for my training.

Soldato
If you were to take some BCAAs before or during the workout you'd improve your work out, or achieve better results. :)

Since I'm not a supp person, that's why I don't enjoy training fasted - as I wouldn't get the nutrients I need for my training.

I do take BCAA before and after workout, as well as a quick caffeine buzz to get me going :D

Man of Honour
There are many blogs from "experts" stating things and doing others.

If it works for you, go for it. All his site does is offer a calorie controlling diet. Nothing more. The principles of insulin management and hormone manipulation doesn't have to be done his way. However, as I said, if it works for you, and matches your lifestyle go for it.

It just doesn't work for me and my day to day living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom