*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
What days/order do you do things?
I'm pretty damn tired today but it's a rest day fortunately.
Monday - Squats
Tuesday - Bench
Thursday - Deadlift
Friday - Shoulder Press

That's the plan but my gym closed early over Easter so I did my deadlift and shoulder press sessions on the Thursday. Not ideal but I assumed 4 whole days of recovery would've been enough.

Soldato
Just did my chests/triceps.

Decided to go against 5x5s today and do my usual, until I research it more based on the video posted.

I made some progress today which I was quite pleased with:

BW+5kg Chest Dips: x12, x12, x9;
Incline Bench Press: 50kgx8, 50kgx8, 50kgx8;
DB Flies: 8x32kg;
CGBP: 50kgx8, 50kgx8, 50kgx8;
Rope Pushdown: 18.75kgx8, 18.75kgx8;

I have never, felt so pumped as I did today.

After the Dips I was quite pumped and then the inclines finished it.

I want to try to get to 55kg if possible on the Inclines and CGBPs, but I wouldn't have completed the sets had I put the weight up.

So all in all, disappointed with the CGBP and Inclines progress, but the flies went well as did the Chest dips. I'm going to try 10kg on the Dips next time, or is that too much just yet?

Kind regards,

David
That is a much better workout than your previous ;) Sounds like you enjoyed it?

Soldato
That is a much better workout than your previous ;) Sounds like you enjoyed it?

Yeah, it was a good workout, couldn't have improved it without your help, cheers again for that!

I was pleased with the Chest dips improvement, the other exercises could do with improvement, but that's standard really. The pump was good though; I don't remember the last time I had that!

Kind regards,

David

Associate
I also have problems with energy levels when I am fasted or even not eaten for a couple of hours.

I have been taking glucose tablets which help a bit but decided to try an Intra Workout drink and have ordered some Strive which should arrive tomorrow all being well.

Strive.png

Caporegime
Scivation xtend is the way forward.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/mmccann722/2012-03-15144727.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

LiE, where is the cheapest place for this?

Cheapest I can find it is Amazon at 16, for the 336g pack.

Which I beleive works out at 30 servings.

Associate
Super session today, after last week I've decided to see how I get on with some heavier weight so today was deads :) and it went very well ;).

All of them double overhand except 180kg :D. Looks like my log will be getting a little more interesting now :).

Also gymnastics yesterday and I got my muscle ups on film :p.

I'm having a very good week :)!

Soldato
As I had finished and the gym was fairly quiet today decided to ask someone to show me deadlift form.

My god its tough!! Bare Olympic bar with no weights was super tough!!

The guy showed me well, however he told me to go down deep as in almost a full deep squat at the beginning of the movement, is this correct?

--

Oh on to cardio. My plan is to do 30 mins after weights and on off days. (Cycling)

Now the only concern I have is adding 30 mins cardio takes the workout from about 40mins to about 1hr20mins.... is this good or bad?

Last edited:
Caporegime
As I had finished and the gym was fairly quiet today decided to ask someone to show me deadlift form.

The guy showed me well, however he told me to go down deep as in almost a full deep squat at the beginning of the movement, is this correct?

--

Oh on to cardio. My plan is to do 30 mins after weights and on off days. (Cycling)

Now the only concern I have is adding 30 mins cardio takes the workout from about 40mins to about 1hr20mins.... is this good or bad?

No reason why 1hr20mins is a bad thing at all! I spent sometimes a lot longer than that in the gym. Some will say its a bad thing, others will say its not.

I like having a good cardio base though, so I spend at least 30mins a day on cardio. Circuits/running/HIIT/rowing/cycling/crosstrainer, one thing I choose on the day makes it a bit less boring.

Associate

No, that is not correct. You do not go that low when deadlifting - the deadlift is not a squat with the bar in your hands.

Starting position should look a little like this, but can vary slightly depending on your proportions. But under no circumstances would you be anywhere near as deep as a squat:

deadlift-234x300.gif

Soldato
Legs went well, was particuarly happy with my Squat, some lad wanted to work in with me, and asked how much I'll be doing, I said I tell ya what, stick what ya want on the bar and I'll try and keep up, went very well! Was finishing at 100kg for 8 before, and this week started on it.

Squats, 60kgx12, 100kgx8x3, 125kgx1, 60kgx20

Getting there slowly, am up a tremendous amount from the 60kgx12/10/8 I was on 2 months ago!

Bloody legs, wish they were as strong as my chest.

Caporegime
Good work. Legs will catch up really quickly. The muscles on your legs are the most used muscles on the entire (able) body, thus they qre the quickest to recover and grow. :)

If you've got a routine set out, then don't change it, but if you haven't or are still er.. finding your legs.. every now and then some mass volume work is great for (re)kickstarting leg muscle growth. A 2min set at ~50% of 1RM to really fatigue the legs. Just don't expect to walk out of the gym easily :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Dom - aren't you a little nuclear powered machine?! :cool: :D

Great work and great form! (As I'd expect from you ;)). Can't say I like your lowering - but of course you train a different style, I personally feel the eccentric movement is still an important one to do. I don't like the fact you use a belt - but we've had this argument ad nauseum :p Nice grip work too :cool: I know a lot of people that would struggle double overhand at 100kg let alone 160+ :)

How tall are you again? You seem to have a good body for deadlifting. Mechanically I'm better suited for deads than any other exercise really.

Man of Honour
No, that is not correct. You do not go that low when deadlifting - the deadlift is not a squat with the bar in your hands.

Starting position should look a little like this, but can vary slightly depending on your proportions. But under no circumstances would you be anywhere near as deep as a squat:

deadlift-234x300.gif

Agreed - good pic. Even a sumo style deadlift shouldn't replicate a squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom