*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Wish my chest would grow quicker. It seems to be lagging.

I've always been a weedy guy but I'm filling out. Weigh about 15.4 stone now and can bench 100kg for reps now, gently touching chest with each rep and good form. Just it doesn't seem to look as full as most peoples chests.

Chest day for me is flat bench, incline dumbell press, cable crossovers and dips mainly. Sometimes pec deck, close grip bench and db flies.

Strength is good but size is letting me down

Soldato
531 is good, but it's a long term program, not something you do for 5-6 weeks. To give you an idea of how slow, my bench press I did 127.5 x 7 on 3rd Feb, and tonight I'm hoping to increase that by 1 rep.

Still, sounds good. When I'm back from travelling and an estimated 15-18kg lighter ( :( ) will be looking to raise my strength to the level it is at currently.

Going to feel like a baby come the start of Jan next year.

kai

kai

Soldato
Monster leg session planned tonight with plyometrics thrown in, to say i am not looking forward to not being able to walk for a few days is an understatement.

:(

Associate
Cheers chaps :).

Dom - aren't you a little nuclear powered machine?! :cool: :D

Great work and great form! (As I'd expect from you ;)). Can't say I like your lowering - but of course you train a different style, I personally feel the eccentric movement is still an important one to do. I don't like the fact you use a belt - but we've had this argument ad nauseum :p Nice grip work too :cool: I know a lot of people that would struggle double overhand at 100kg let alone 160+ :)

How tall are you again? You seem to have a good body for deadlifting. Mechanically I'm better suited for deads than any other exercise really.

Ha ha thanks!

I haven't gone that heavy without a belt before so that's a good sign and I will only really use it when core begins to fail. I'm very pleased with my grip actually, nothing in my program is really that heavy only my grip so I guess I've just been lucky ;).

I'm about 5'9" so nice and short :). It helps with squats as well because I don't have to move the bar very far :D.

It should be interesting to see what my squats end up like tomorrow :).

Soldato
It may be deeper, but you might not be lifting until you butt comes up a bit.

Considering I have issues with my knees, I would prefer not to go so low at the bottom of the movement.

I think I will have to use a lighter bar for the moment, as just the olympic bar on its own was tough..... and I should be focusing on form for the moment.

Soldato
What kind of issues do you have with your knees?

Lots sadly.

Back in 2001 I was playing football in my local park and ruptured my left ALC ligament.

Had the op in 2006 and was told they had reconstructed my ACL and given me a minisectomy as well.

Unfortunately the op made the knee worse than before. It's looser, has some numbness, and generally aches etc.....

I went in November to an orthopaedic hospital to have it looked at and they told me the surgeon had put the graft in a non optimal position, a whole 1 cm out of its proper position.

Problem is that to have it redone again, is extremely difficult with a much lower success rate, and will take 2 procedures spread over one year.

It will also affect my hip and my right knee. Bone marrow will be taken from hip and hamstring will be harvested from right leg to form new acl graft in left.

My hamstrings are already weak in my left knee due to graft....

----

This is the tragic bit. I used too think to my self how tragic it would be if I managed to injure my right knee as well. Well low and behold, during me trying to strengthen my left, I managed to injure my right.

I have damaged the tracking of the knee cap, so that it aches, hurts in a squat position and violently cracks when I extended or flex it.

When I spoke to surgeon in November he was pessimistic it would improve with physio, but said it was 50/50. I went with the physio route, but of course it hasn’t improved at all....

So I’m due to go back in April to speak to surgeon and I think I will go ahead with an op on the right.

The op on the left, is not to be rushed in too, because it could make matters far worse.

I think the general pain and instability I feel in the left, should improve with strength training as the left quads are badly atrophied compared to left. But I cant train the left leg efficiently or properly because exercises good for left hurt the right....

Physio wanted me to do squats, of course, squats hurt the right knee, so i went with leg press.

However a few years ago, before I injured nmy right knee, I was squatting with weights, but becuase the muscles in the left leg are atrophied, all the pressure was being excerted on my left acl graft, so the next day, I was unable to put any weight on my left leg, becuase the acl had swollen.

No doubt with heavy enough weights, I could do some serious damage tothe acl graft. Probably becuase the acl graft is not in its correct position, meaning the knee doesnt sit as intended, Im hoping if I start light, build up the muscle and very very slowly start adding weight it will coop, other wise my days of squatting are over before they started.

When I mentioned this swelling to the surgeon, he mumbled under his breath "you can forget about squatting heavy ever again" - but the physio seems to think differently.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Have you ever had your feet looked at?

Also, the issues you face with squatting can very easily be replicated on the leg press. If your mechanics are bad you apply force incorrectly to your joints and bang, another injury (as you found). Good mechanics aren't a simple matter if you have a history of problems, it's quite likely that something subtle is going on that most people would be hard pressed to identify.

Soldato
What are you finding so difficult. Load a bar with 10kg a side, watch yourself on mirror, back straight, chin up, push the ground away from you and extend the back up. Don't arch.

Try taking a video of your form.

I'm doing it with 5kg a side! Added more on to see if it make any difference but with 10 each side my back started doing the lifting.

Back was good (had mirror each side to see), I set up just as the set up vid says, bar over shoe laces, lock down core as I get into position, shins close to bar (in fact there was a bit of bleeding as the bar was scraping my shins).

I try to push with my heels but nothing happens and afterwards my quads feel like they've been worked more than my glutes.

Did a full warmup too :(

Man of Honour
Arse is too low, core needs to be tight before you get into position, your 5kg plates need to be full sized or it will mess everything up, etc.

Post a video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom