*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I showed icecold on Monday how deep I was going on deadlift. After a moment's pause he punched me in the face before using me to do overhead squats.

In short, don't go that deep :(

To be somewhat more helpful, I was told to strengthen my core and get a good posture, then to bend forward as far as my hamstrings allow, then drop down using your knees until you can pick up the bar. That way your arse is kept up an appropriate amount.

Man of Honour
Because I work out alone and don't really fancy asking a random person to film me; it might be hard to find a non-moron.
Prop your phone/camera up on a bench, this is what I do when I'm on my own. Or just ask someone to video it for you. Just explain that you want to check your form. Or don't, they most likely won't care.
I showed icecold on Monday how deep I was going on deadlift. After a moment's pause he punched me in the face before using me to do overhead squats.

In short, don't go that deep :(

To be somewhat more helpful, I was told to strengthen my core and get a good posture, then to bend forward as far as my hamstrings allow, then drop down using your knees until you can pick up the bar. That way your arse is kept up an appropriate amount.
It was a friendly, happy punch.

Soldato
Prop your phone/camera up on a bench, this is what I do when I'm on my own. Or just ask someone to video it for you. Just explain that you want to check your form. Or don't, they most likely won't care.

If they don't know what they're doing they might get the angles all wrong though.

I did look around for somewhere to put the phone but it's quite a small gym so it's not going to be easy.

Perhaps I should come to the meet

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I can't see how you can get tight on a bar with 5kg on each side?
I think the weight has to be a certain difficulty for you to be able to bring the right muscles in. It's hard to explain, do you know what I trying to say ice?

Soldato
If they don't know what they're doing they might get the angles all wrong though.

I did look around for somewhere to put the phone but it's quite a small gym so it's not going to be easy.

Stop making so many ****ing excuses and just do it.

I know exactly what you mean LiE. It's the same with squats imo, working on form with too little weight is pointless and feels completely different.

Soldato
I can't see how you can get tight on a bar with 5kg on each side?

Tight on a bar?

Stop making so many ****ing excuses and just do it.

I know exactly what you mean LiE. It's the same with squats imo, working on form with too little weight is pointless and feels completely different.

Alright, no need to get your knickers in a twist! My point was I'd rather wait until I can get a proper video.

Soldato
I'm not getting my knickers in a twist, i'm trying to sort out your attitude to lifting. Reading your posts is depressing you seem to have an excuse for everything yet at the same time complain about not making progress.

Soldato
I'm not getting my knickers in a twist, i'm trying to sort out your attitude to lifting. Reading your posts is depressing you seem to have an excuse for everything yet at the same time complain about not making progress.

Apart from allergies and not going to the meet, can you point out where?

How is not being able to have dairy a ****ing excuse?????

Soldato
Just find sommat to rest your phone on, t'is what I do:

Notice how high the bar is off the ground 'cause of the plates. You need to have your starting position around here. If you're too low, it will be literally impossible for you to get in to position and keep good form.

Soldato
They have these rubber 5/10/20kg plates that are the same height as a 20kg.

As far as I can tell, I wasn't doing anything too different to your video.

I shall try and create a vid. In fact, I'll go in tomorrow, just to keep Skill happy.

Associate
A few points from what I experienced when I started deadlifts:

I felt more of a burn in my quads than anywhere else but as you slowly get into the form and the other muslces (hams, glutes, lower-back) develop they will take over the lifting work. Quads activation will always take place though since they are a synergist in the lift, expect to feel them working still. How far above parallel were your legs(?) becuase you could have tight hams preventing you from coming up high enough.

When you say that adding more weight causes you to lift with your back, could you elaborate a little more i.e. from where in the lift do you start using your back? DLs are naturally a lower back exercise, so aslong as you aren't rounding your back, or using your back to lift any where below knee height then you shouldn't worry.

One last note. Are you remembering to squeeze your glutes as your bring up the bar? Like as hard as you can as if you were trying to hold in a massive guff - it's helped me no end, and helps take some load of your back.

Sorry for the flippin' novel, but having just struggled with it myself I know how frustrating it can be trying to get it right. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps it's the width of my feet? They were just a bit wider than shoulder width apart, pointing fairly forward-ish.

I have mine quite narrow, around shoulder width maybe a tiny bit closer in. Pointing out SLIGHTLY (feels like my knee is twisting otherwise).

I notice my knees seem to get in the way too. Not sure how to explain how or why because I don't know :(

When lifting up, or when returning the bar to the ground? If the latter, try this when you start to return the bar to the floor: Rotate at the hip whilst pushing your ass out. Maintain tension in your lower back whilst pivoting down, once you've cleared where your knees will be, lower your leg and crash the bar to the ground. Don't spend too much time on the negative aspect of the rep, as (imo) it's just not that important and has a higher chance of injury.

Soldato
A few points from what I experienced when I started deadlifts:

I felt more of a burn in my quads than anywhere else but as you slowly get into the form and the other muslces (hams, glutes, lower-back) develop they will take over the lifting work. Quads activation will always take place though since they are a synergist in the lift, expect to feel them working still. How far above parallel were your legs(?) becuase you could have tight hams preventing you from coming up high enough.

When you say that adding more weight causes you to lift with your back, could you elaborate a little more i.e. from where in the lift do you start using your back? DLs are naturally a lower back exercise, so aslong as you aren't rounding your back, or using your back to lift any where below knee height then you shouldn't worry.

One last note. Are you remembering to squeeze your glutes as your bring up the bar? Like as hard as you can as if you were trying to hold in a massive guff - it's helped me no end, and helps take some load of your back.

Sorry for the flippin' novel, but having just struggled with it myself I know how frustrating it can be trying to get it right.

So it's not just me then, bolded the bit for Skill to read :p ^

@40kg my back was taking over as soon as the bar left the ground pretty much.

I shall try and make a video tomorrow.

Soldato
I never said learning the deadlift is easy, what does that bit have to do with me? Here you go, there were plenty more i just wanted a small selection. Carry on as you were...

****ed off.

Sat in traffic for 20 mins and wasn't even 1/3 of the way to the gym so turned around. **** that.

Bank holiday ****s!

I'm getting sick of eating/cooking all the time :(

Cadburys chocolate fingers are calling me :o

Tempted to go and say hello.

Business as usual in my gym but if Monday is anything like Friday was then there's no point in going because it was just too damn busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom