*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Know that feeling my shin was bleeding from my second deadlift session ever and I didn't even notice untill I was getting changed haha. Always take some skin off now each session but that means your doing it right yeah?

Associate
Hi everyone. I posted in the weight loss forum this morning, but it is probably more useful in here. I'm currently 13 stone, 5'11 & trying to lose weight. I'm after some kind plan.

This morning I did:

Overhead press 6x10
Leg press 6x10
Seated leg curl 6x10
Leg extension 6x10
fly/rear delt 6x10

I then did a 2000m row. It all took me around 45mins & I definetly felt it.

Does the above seem ok or does anyone have any tips? Cheers

Soldato
today will henceforth be known as DAY OF THE QUARTER SQUATTERS! I suppose it cant be helped when thats how the PTs teach it.....

Some other highlights this evening, included a brace of "deadlifters" where the bar couldnt even remember what the floor looked like at the end of each set, and a guy 'mirin his abs after doing a set of bicep curls.

looking inward for a moment, 95kg deadlift this evening (3 figures soon!) and i can feel that my grip is starting to give a little. chalk time soon i think.

Associate
Hope this is the right place to post this. :o

I'm going to start going to the gym next week to begin working on my cardio (want to start playing football again) and I was wondering if there are any tips you could give me regarding training or diet? I don't eat that bad but I'm not that healthy either, does it even matter when all I want is to get fit?

Associate
RAWRRRRRR. Amazing leg session for me tonight.

Being as it was only the second week back after Christmas I expected to get near my max on squat (90KG) if I could, but I didn't expect to go past it!

Racked up 100KG and thought, 'Why not?' managed to get knock out 4 really good reps and felt fantastic! My gym buddy suggested sticking my belt on and trying for 110KG next set, I wasn't sure but figured i'd give it a go as I was pretty pumped up at this point. Un-racked it and though 'bugger me this is heavy, lets try anyway' managed to do 4 good reps again even with a sick in mouth moment on the 3rd rep! :D

Feel like I could take on the world right now! I'm so pleased with the progress I've made on my squats. It wasn't so long ago that 60KG was a struggle for me!

Permabanned
Hope this is the right place to post this. :o

I'm going to start going to the gym next week to begin working on my cardio (want to start playing football again) and I was wondering if there are any tips you could give me regarding training or diet? I don't eat that bad but I'm not that healthy either, does it even matter when all I want is to get fit?

You want to get fit without sorting out your diet? Of course it matters, you'll be even fitter if you sort your diet out and do a good amount of relevant exercise.

If it's just fitness for 5-a-side footy you want then I'd recommend running, depending on how many times you'll be going to the gym I'd try and do one long run a week to increase your endurance and stamina and then 2-3 other runs to supplement this. These runs I would be doing one as a fast short run maybe and the other a bit longer but mixing up the speeds a little through the run and getting out of your comfort zone, think similar to how you'd be running playing 5-a-side and running at different speeds etc.

A few sessions on the weights may help as well with more strength on the ball and holding yourself up better.

Caporegime
Meh, think my shoulders giving in, did flys earlier with 7.5kg in each arm, meh :( I hate my shoulders...

Shall I leave it on 7.5kg for a few weeks before trying 10kg? Or drop to 5kg and go up to 7.5kg again at a later date?

looking inward for a moment, 95kg deadlift this evening (3 figures soon!) and i can feel that my grip is starting to give a little. chalk time soon i think.

It's a nice feeling tripple figures :)

Keep going, don't use chalk until you HAVE to, your grip will improve each time you lift

Last edited:
Associate
What do you eat on an average day? And yes it does matter. :)

Breakfast: 3 weetabix with milk OR 2 slices of toast w/ butter.
Lunch: Anything from a ham/chicken/turkey sandwich or wrap to something unhealthy out of the chippy. Usually a chocolate bar after, too.
Dinner: If I'm with the other half, usually some sort of pasta or stir fry. If I'm on my own, then it's whatever is quick and easy! :p This is also the time where I allow myself fizzy juice, usually a can or two.

When I come home from work it's not uncommon for me to just eat bits and pieces before and after dinner. Chocolate biscuits, shortbread, sweets, yoghurt, cakes.

Despite all the sugary/fatty foods I'm only 11 stone, I guess I have a high metabolism or something?

You want to get fit without sorting out your diet? Of course it matters, you'll be even fitter if you sort your diet out and do a good amount of relevant exercise.

If it's just fitness for 5-a-side footy you want then I'd recommend running, depending on how many times you'll be going to the gym I'd try and do one long run a week to increase your endurance and stamina and then 2-3 other runs to supplement this. These runs I would be doing one as a fast short run maybe and the other a bit longer but mixing up the speeds a little through the run and getting out of your comfort zone, think similar to how you'd be running playing 5-a-side and running at different speeds etc.

A few sessions on the weights may help as well with more strength on the ball and holding yourself up better.

I'm ignorant to this, sorry. :( I just thought that my diet wouldn't have as big of an effect on gaining stamina to play 90 minutes of football. Always assumed that was mainly for people wanting to lose weight or gain muscle.

I've never even used a treadmill before. Would I just set it to some sort of realistic distance and try sprint or jog it?

Caporegime
Depends, you can sit and jog for 20 minutes at a slow pace if you want, or do some form of HIIT (Jog for 2 minutes sprint for 30 seconds etc)

And yes, food will play a part, sadly

Soldato
Delvis, do you mean lateral raises? Personally I wouldn't waste your time with those. Just stick to pressing movements if your priorities are to gain strength. Over head press and face pulls should be all you need to work that area. That'll hit prosterior, lateral and anterior delts, as well as your lower traps. Upper traps probably won't need any direct stimulation if you're deadlifting.

Just my 2 pence.

Though obviously there are other reasons for doing certain lifts. I remember enjoying doing various raises when I began training, so if you enjoy doing them by all means keep them in your routine. It's just other exercises you should be prioritised if you want to train smart and make efficient gains.

Caporegime
Delvis, do you mean lateral raises? Personally I wouldn't waste your time with those. Just stick to pressing movements if your priorities are to gain strength. Over head press and face pulls should be all you need to work that area. That'll hit prosterior, lateral and anterior delts, as well as your lower traps. Upper traps probably won't need any direct stimulation if you're deadlifting.

Just my 2 pence.

Though obviously there are other reasons for doing certain lifts. I remember enjoying doing various raises when I began training, so if you enjoy doing them by all means keep them in your routine. It's just other exercises you should be prioritised if you want to train smart and make efficient gains.

No, I mean Dumbbel Flys :)...It was chest day

My priorities are to gain some decent size for once, then I can look at how I am and chisel away where I wish to.

And yes, I am deadlifting ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom