• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I know, I guess I'm just impatient and want to obtain great results as quickly as is realistic (which is still long-term), probably from watching things like:

And all the Transformations on bb.com.

I haz no Jeff Willet helping me obviously, just the internets!

If you watch the full documentary for that it shows it's not a quick process at all :)

http://vidreel.com/video/NTk0MDU0/

You might get a few (lots!) of popups but it loads eventually :p Well worth the watch imo

Soldato
Associate
I prefer to do a both of those techniques. So I aim for a certain amount of calories while getting the right amount of protein, carbs and fat. It seems to have worked so far :).

Soldato
Somnambulist why don't you give yourself a day rest between your upper and lower days for better recovery response. From what icanwork out from your diary it is easy for youto do this. Other then that things look good.

Soldato
Massively pulled a muscle in my traps last week, it's been absolute agony the last two days. No gym today because of it, and I doubt I'll get a session in between now and Wednesday :(

Soldato
LOL! Away for a course Mon - Wed, so won't have the opportunity to. Going to mixing up my routine a bit as well, only slightly though. Going to try and get some more Olympic lifts in!

Soldato
Hey guys

wanted to ask if stronglifts 5x5 is a good option to try to cut? Around 20-25% bodyfat at the moment, and been doing stronglifts for a while however I have noticed that my legs are becoming larger since starting stronglifts. I have now took measurements so will be able to monitor (should have in the beginning!)

I'm in a calorie deficit (I believe) and I alternate between
1400 calories - Protein:227g Carbs:62g Fat: 37g
1800 calories - Protein:248g Carbs:95g Fat: 56g

I'm trying to keep the protien high, and carbs relativley low to help melt away the body fat however I just wanted to check its the right thing to do.

I'm also doing cardio 4x per week which is 30mins on a bike.

Comments/advice appriciated.

Soldato
Well they're from the vdiet, however I've used the macros only and switched it to food (but the same macros) and I've seen some pretty good results on there.

However I hardly loose anything, I seem to stall around 0.5-1lb at the most... and then when I ask people and they (like yourself) say its a little low for a calorie deficit I'm puzzled.

All my goal is at the moment is to cut down to 10% body fat- I've done my research etc, and started a weight training regime (SL5x5) in order to keep muscle etc but like I say I'm finding my legs are getting bigger (no numbers to prove though, they just feel... only took numbers last week rather then 2-3 months ago when I started). I'm around 194lb at the moment.

Thanks

Soldato
I think that's too much protein for such little calories. Less protein and more fats.

What % bodyfat would you guess at?

Take 1g protein per pound of lean bodyweight.
Low carb on rest days
Higher carbs on training days will be fine

Don't neglect the fats, 37g is low

Last edited:
Associate
First time poster in this thread, been lifting for a while, just wondering how much protein i should actually be aiming for, over on bb.com its all 1.5-3x grams per bodyweight in lbs and all this, but ive seen freefaller say he aims for 200g per lbs, im 6ft 2, 194lbs (88kg), currently i aim for 200g, usually come in a bit under 10-15g, just wanted a proper target to aim for.

Also HIT, i have started doing 1:1 ratio for ~10-15mins, just wondering if my speeds are correct though, for the rest part i stick at 6km/h (I think its km/h anyway), then step it up to 12km/h, should i be bumping my rest speed up, or is 6km/h fine?

Thanks

Associate
Yeah I think Chong Warrior is right. I would lower the protein down to about 180-200g, maybe lower, and then increase the carbs a bit.

Just out of interest what numbers do you get with this calculator:
http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It's very basic but I don't need anything major I just use it to help me get a quick rough estimate. In the last 3-4 weeks I've been working on getting my weight down and on a deficit of about 2200cals on training days and about 1800-2000cals on non training days. I've been doing it very roughly and kept my training pretty much the same and I've manage to lose around 2kg, you shouldn't need to go that low on the defecit.

On a separate note has anyone bought an ab wheel that isn't rubbish? I used a plastic one at the gym and it fell apart :/, I need a better one.

Soldato
Yeah I think Chong Warrior is right. I would lower the protein down to about 180-200g, maybe lower, and then increase the carbs a bit.

Just out of interest what numbers do you get with this calculator:
http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It's very basic but I don't need anything major I just use it to help me get a quick rough estimate. In the last 3-4 weeks I've been working on getting my weight down and on a deficit of about 2200cals on training days and about 1800-2000cals on non training days. I've been doing it very roughly and kept my training pretty much the same and I've manage to lose around 2kg, you shouldn't need to go that low on the defecit.

From Scooby's I get...
BMR: 1918
Maintain Weight: 2302
Calories based on step 6 ( lose fat, 20% reduction): 1842 Calories

Projected 0.9lb per week, I thought it was possible to lose 2lb per week?

I'm not too focused on the scales, just loosing inches and bodyfat is fine.

I guess 1842 is correct then? Would anyone reccomend to do alternate 1400/1800 for nontraining/training or keep constant 1800?

I will try up the fats lower the protein slightly, but dont really want to up the carbs as I feel i'm carb sponge! Also hopefully I store less glycogen this way and access fat stores quicker (being sub 100g).

thanks

Associate
I had looked at that one, so I think if it's not bad I might as well get it because it's reasonably cheap. Cheers Syla5.

I would experiment with 1800 training and 1600 non-training. Also you will find that a training program will change a lot of things so you may find that those numbers are too low. You should be able to see some change in about two weeks and you will also in that time experience whether that isn't enough calories by that fact that you'll feel like **** all of that time :).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom