• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Man of Honour
Silly Rippetoe.

Regardless of what that article seems to be implying (I haven't read all of it), it would be remiss to neglect proper core training - I'm saying this in spite of training with some heavy barbells. Funny, eh?

Caporegime
Silly Rippetoe.

Regardless of what that article seems to be implying (I haven't read all of it), it would be remiss to neglect proper core training - I'm saying this in spite of training with some heavy barbells. Funny, eh?

I'd hazrd at a guess if I had a decent core routine in the first place I'd be in a better position than I am now :p

Some people you could arguably say they don't need a separate core workout due to certain work they may do, for Mr.Office Chair man it's probably mroe recommended :p

Soldato
Good chest day today. Felt good.

DB Bench 8 * 17.5 8 * 20 8 * 20
Shrugs (DB) 8 * 20 8 * 22.5 8 * 22.5
BB Incline Bench Press 8 * 30 8 * 35 7 * 35
DB Fly 8 * 10 8 * 10 8 * 10
DB Incline Fly 8 * 7.5 8 * 10 8 * 10

After my last set I felt completely wired. So I basically went mental at doing some bicep work (by far my weakest part). Then I still had some energy and did some BB calf raises:

BB Calf Raise 20 * 60 10 * 80 10 * 90 20 * 100

Damn straight I only bench 20kg DBS for 8, but can calf raise 100kgs for 20 and not be at failure... go genetics!

Associate
Syla5 has been seduced by the 531 with some HIIT thrown in :)

You can't beat it! :) although sometimes I don't do it all 4 days because it tires me out for my favourite lifts (squats and deadlifts ;) ).

Felling really down today as I've just failed my bike test for the 3rd time ( I swear to god the examiner is picking on me because of my age, bunch of con men with the money it has cost me!) don't know if I'll be able to man up and go take some aggression out feel like utter **** :(

Associate
So after not being able to go to the gym this weekend at all I'm just going to do the 10x3 day of Smolov jr today and then I think I'll do the 6x6 I would do on mondays tomorrow and then I'll be straight.

So that means today has 6x2 on squats and 10x3 on bench :). It's going to be a long night :).

Man of Honour
First day back on SL 5x5. Was good! I'm not falling of the wagon again... not this time. NO. I WILL NOT.

Got some supplementy stuff in the post from bulkpowders, never used them before so looking forward to chocolate cookies goodness and also trying fish oil for the first time... apparently the ones I'm getting taste quiiite strong :o

I'm mainly posting this here mainly so that people will see if I fall off the wagon again and call me a retard.

Please do this.

Soldato
Damn straight I only bench 20kg DBS for 8, but can calf raise 100kgs for 20 and not be at failure... go genetics!

I would be worried if you chest was stronger than your legs :p
You would be surprised at how much your legs can lift when you push them!

I had a bad end of last week, had this damn flu virus that seems to be going around, so wed/thur was a right off, still felt rubbish on Friday but wanted to have a go, dropped the weight right down but still only managed about 20 mins before feeling dead :( and felt so sick in the sauna afterwards..

3 sets of 8x70kg deadlift
3 sets of 6x WG chin up

10 mile walk with the dogs on Saturday afternoon

Feeling stronger Sunday so went to do a bit of a mix and make up for my rubbish back session on friday.

Sit down cable pull
10 x 45kg
3 sets of 10x55kg, I can do a full stack but just getting back into it..

4 sets of 6x WG Chin ups

3 sets of 28KG 21's

Legs felt a bit tight after the walk so only managed 3 sets of 10x80kg squats

Then finished off with some abs.

Roll on the chest session tonight :D

Soldato
Got some supplementy stuff in the post from bulkpowders, never used them before so looking forward to chocolate cookies goodness and also trying fish oil for the first time... apparently the ones I'm getting taste quiiite strong :o
That is a bad sign and points to the oil being rancid. I would send them back it they taste or smell fishy.

Rancid oil is not good for you

Associate
I have just started the gym today, properly atleast as I have been a member 2 month following my friends but decided I want to start going by myself and get a proper routine as I hadnt been for 3 weeks.

Today was legs and a tiny bit of abs?

40 Minute workout
Treadmill 5% incline 900 metres (5 minutes)
Seated leg curl 8x4 35kg
Seated leg press 8x4 75kg
Leg extension 8x4 55kg
Seated leg press (Toe for calfs) 8x4 55kg (another exercise for calfs?)
Chest press machine 12/15kg 8x2 (Someone was on torso ext so kept myself occupied)
Torso extension 44/55/55/65kg 8x4

I am after a better/balanced exercise for legs/abs preferably more free without the use of machines but with alternatives as the gym is very busy.

My quads are generally very weak but they were shaking at the end of the workout and I was actually struggling to keep control of the clutch on my car when my leg was extended as it was shaking rofl but my calf feels that it hasnt been worked at all and the same applies to my hamstring, I want them to both feel like that.

The same applies to Torso extension, I want more exercises that are going to help give me stronger abs .

I am just under 6ft and weigh around 11stone

Man of Honour
That is a bad sign and points to the oil being rancid. I would send them back it they taste or smell fishy.

Rancid oil is not good for you

I'm going off the reviews on the bulkpowders website, people seem to say they are worse than the usual and don't have an expiry date on them.

I've never really looked into them too much so will listen to your advice on this for sure, are you saying that if they they smell/taste at all fishy then it's a good idea to bin them and get them from somewhere else?

Soldato
I would be worried if you chest was stronger than your legs :p
You would be surprised at how much your legs can lift when you push them!

Heh, I do realise that! I am just particularly genetically disposed to have stronger legs compared to my upper body, I thought this was a good illustration... One day I might try a calf raise 1 rep max :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going off the reviews on the bulkpowders website, people seem to say they are worse than the usual and don't have an expiry date on them.

I've never really looked into them too much so will listen to your advice on this for sure, are you saying that if they they smell/taste at all fishy then it's a good idea to bin them and get them from somewhere else?
Certainly you should not be able to smell anything from them in the capsules. If you pop the capsule you will know it's fish oil but again it shouldn't have a strong smell or taste. You'll know if the oil isn't very good when you take them as they will repeat on you with fish burps all day, nasty.

I only use the high strength fish oils now that are at least 60% EPA/DHA, I don't touch the cheap 30% versions. Or I use the higher quality Krill Oil but it's expensive.

I ordered some Krill Oil from another company, could smell it as soon as tub was opened. I got a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom