• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Was posted a few pages back, and not everyone agrees with his pointer on "Pulling the chest tall". I can't find it now, but there was a link to the correct load order for deadlifts and it contradicts that.
That's the Kelly Starret version, which is actually what me and Dom coach.

Associate
Didn't realise it was already posted, oh well.

The "pull the chest tall" cue isn't wrong it's just another way of explaining it. It might be that in some people this causes other problems to arise or that they just can't do it but it isn't wrong. Kelly Starret's method relies on achieving that tightness in the thoracic spine before even getting close to the bar.

I prefer the Kelly Starret method because I find it a very intuitive method for obtaining the appropriate level of tightness however I would by no means say it is the only way to do it. I have found that some of the athletes I have coached have struggled with this technique and so I've had to try and approach from other angles, some of which don't really make a whole lot of sense to me but as long as it works and they understand the correct principle it doesn't matter a great deal.

Annoyingly I haven't been able to do my 10x3 day of Smolov Jr. this weekend. I think next week could get a little busy because of this :(.

Last edited:
Associate
Guys I am going away for 5 weeks in May and want to keep up with my exercise.

Bar running, swimming, sit ups and press ups, what sort of exercises can keep me going?

Soldato
Did an 80kg hang clean today (although had to squat it up a bit).... Fast approaching my 82.5kg poweclean... better work on that technique! (think I start to give in on hang cleans after my shins start bleeding)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom