*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Question all: I'm currently working my way up in weight ranges of 2.5kg, when I start to get some resistance (ie I can;t complete the 3x8 sets) shall I drop the weight down again one or two notches? Or what?

No, weight training is meant to be hard! :p
Stick at it until you hit (or surpass) your rep target and then increase weight next time. Sometimes it might take you a few weaks to increase weight but it'll happen. You'll probably get those extra 2 reps next week.

As for the shoulder pain you mentioned, you should probably get to the root of that. Shoulders can be a bitch.

Caporegime
What injury do you have? Maybe start with some lighter isolation exercises to bring back the stability.

Right shoulder got knackered last year some time, combination of benching and clay pigeon shooting the next day :o Couldn't lift it above my head for over a week.

Problem is, that would rule out me doing bench or flys or anything involving the shoulder, which is why i'm still the size I am :p Because i've had to stop training in the past.

It's become better over the last year, just need to know when to stop really. I'm dropping the bench dips as this may aggravate it, as well as lateral raises. Then i'll just have to be careful flys and bench, the flys get to it as well (and thats only on 7.5kg)

Caporegime
As for the shoulder pain you mentioned, you should probably get to the root of that. Shoulders can be a bitch.

Physio I saw at the time was useless, granted it was NHS but hey, I'm poor and couldn't afford the money to fork out.

It basically jars a little if I do a slow reverse windmill thing. As said though, generally it's getting better. I just don't want to screw myself over yet again

EDIT: The injury was months ago, back before the summer I believe...Atleast before March as I was in my old house still

Man of Honour
Hammering away at a rep max every session is a good way to injure yourself and stall progression.

I'd say 3rm, max attempts would be 2 consecutive sessions. More reps than three I'd say 3 attempts, less than three reps just one attempt before you deload.

That's only in general.

Associate
Even private physios can be hit and miss. Would be worth trying to get it diagnosed at the very least (if you haven't already) and that way you might be in a better position to judge what you can and can't do.

I have a shoulder problem too at the minute. I can't do flat bench, flyes, BB shoulder press or DB shoulder press at the minute. I can manage DB bench if I hold the DBs a certain way and tuck my elbows in, pec deck and a couple of isolation exercises for shoulder so I just have to stick with those for now.

Find what you can do and don't do anything that hurts (in a bad way).

And maybe look at some supps that may help and some rehab stuff (once you know whats wrong).

Caporegime
I'd still recommend doing lots of light, high rep iso-work. Just search some exercises, and steadily progress. It will keep hindering your progress otherwise :(
Strong shoulders = strong lifts/

I presume you are referring to should isolation exercises? As opposed to bench etc?

My issue is with bench and flys now, as they incorporate the shoulders in the weakest position for me. Yesterday my shoulder started to get a bit tired on 42.5kg at 3x8.

I know for a fact next week i'll fail at 45kg 3x8 :p

Caporegime
Even private physios can be hit and miss. Would be worth trying to get it diagnosed at the very least (if you haven't already) and that way you might be in a better position to judge what you can and can't do.

I have a shoulder problem too at the minute. I can't do flat bench, flyes, BB shoulder press or DB shoulder press at the minute. I can manage DB bench if I hold the DBs a certain way and tuck my elbows in, pec deck and a couple of isolation exercises for shoulder so I just have to stick with those for now.

Find what you can do and don't do anything that hurts (in a bad way).

And maybe look at some supps that may help and some rehab stuff (once you know whats wrong).

To be honest he didn't say much which was really helpful, gave me some weird kind of reverse front raise thing to do and that was it =/

Caporegime
Can you not muster up some money to see someone else. Maybe stop buying supps (except ones that may help the shoulder) for a bit.

Then I won't be hitting the right macros, which will then negate the stuff i've been doing for the last 6 months and put me back to square one AGAIN :p

I'll have to see if I can get some glucosamine, but I know it's an issue I just need to keep an eye on forever now really

Soldato
To be honest he didn't say much which was really helpful, gave me some weird kind of reverse front raise thing to do and that was it =/

That is the problem, you have to push with them

Ive been told im fine, but i know im not, so im back tonight to see what they say and get me to do

Associate
Then I won't be hitting the right macros, which will then negate the stuff i've been doing for the last 6 months and put me back to square one AGAIN :p

mmm... or you could say 'am I getting the full benefit of my supps if I can't give it my all in the gym because of this injury'? :p

I don't know how many supps you actually have so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt. But supps aren't the be all and end all if your training isn't up to much.

Caporegime
mmm... or you could say 'am I getting the full benefit of my supps if I can't give it my all in the gym because of this injury'? :p

I don't know how many supps you actually have so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt. But supps aren't the be all and end all if your training isn't up to much.

My trainings going reasonably well with my new diet, just last nights session got to my shoulder a bit more than the rest. It more than likely was the last few reps of the bench along with the flys.

I only take whey as a supplement due to funds + its easier for me currently

That is the problem, you have to push with them

Ive been told im fine, but i know im not, so im back tonight to see what they say and get me to do

Story of my life really, theres been countless things wrong with me over the years and I just get fobbed off. It was only last year the doc said "your a bit of a frequent flyer", and got me some tests booked to see if there was any underlying issues.

Nothing found as usual

EDIT: Anyway, back session tonight, something I can actually do reasonably well!

Soldato

I'll have to see if I can get some glucosamine, but I know it's an issue I just need to keep an eye on forever now really

i think you're a bit too early on in proceedings to be worrying about fine-detail nutrition. eating cleanly and healthily should be enough for anyone who isnt a pretty advanced lifter

seriously, getting an injury sorted properly should take priority.

Soldato
Holy cow beta alanine face tingles are bloody uncomfortable haha. Absolutely HUGE pump though so i can deal with it <3

Inc db press 25kg 8,8,6
bench press 60kg 8,7,7
cable flys 10kg 8,8,7
dips bw 8,6,5 (arms were dead)

then some tricep stuff

horrible order to do the session in but people were using my equipment :p weak as hell after the holidays that 60kg bench felt more like 80+

Soldato
Someone was on my bench :p Would have preferred to do bench, dips, db, flys but such is life. Cheeks and forehead for me, got really intense during my db press which was exciting.

dod

dod

Soldato
Back tonight,

8X60 DL
3X10X90 DL

1X10X40 T-BAr row
5X10X60 T-Bar Row

3X10X90 seated row
3X10X90 lat pull down
3X10X90 pull downs with a close grip.

Not bad for an ould lad :)