• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
I need some deadlifting advice please...We're maxing again in four weeks and I want to try and beat the 210.

For the last six weeks I've been doing 5x3 and todays weight was 180kg which was fine, no failures and decent pulls (albeit one set). Question is how should I work the deadlift for the next four weeks? I was planning to carry on with 5x3 up until the week before and then do a light week before maxing, but I wonder if there's more benefit changing the set/rep structure. I failed 212.5 last time about 3 inches off the floor so maybe I should add some speed work and drop the weight a bit?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Pretty **** session today - was hoping to get some decent 1RMs but I had a bad night's sleep and just didn't really feel "alive".

Squats 185
Bench 135
Deads 220

My CNS was switched off by the end of benching, and feel completely fried. Stupid for having tried so much in 2 hrs though.

Squats:

60x10
100x8
130x4
150x1
160x1
170x1
180x1
185x1
190x0

Bench:

60x8
90x5
100x1
110x1
120x1
130x0
130x0
130x1
135x1

Up to 120 it was flying up then everything stopped working :/ Got to 135 and decided to call it a day on that.

Deads

60x10
100x8
130x5
150x2
170x1
180x1
190x1
200x1
210x1 form starting to break :(
215x1 - form breaking
220x1 - so so messy - horrible form.

Meh. I'll give it another bash over several sessions next time - when in a better frame of mind/mood. 540kg is ok... but I have so so much more in me. :(

Associate
Yeah, we all have those odd days. I've had bad days that should've been good (ie plenty of food and sleep). Like you said, I'd spread out your 1RM attempts across sessions as well.

Man of Honour
Yeah it was a bit daft... but anyway - not bad total. Considering I'm nearly 10kg lighter than last time, I'm only 10% or so behind my previous totals... actually come to think of it I'm 10% lighter haha!

Associate
I think the increments used are too small and you are tiring yourself out.
for example on the squat I would have done up to 160 then rest and go for the 190.
Same for the bench - I would have gone to 115 maybe 120 and then jumped to 135.
obviously same for the deadlift. You would still be properly warmed up and not risk injuries but your CNS wouldn't be as fried.

This is obviously my opinion - I know you are a very experienced lifter with a 600k total but I wouldn't give that much abuse to my CNS on a 1rm session.

Associate
Done some legs at gym tonight. Long way off being strong but will get back there.

Squats:
60x6
80x6
100x6
120x5
130x5
140x2x3
100x5x5

Will do some double at 150 next week and 110 5x5

Good mornings:
80x8x3

Some leg curls and calf work.

On to rack pulls and assorted back work on Sunday.

140 squat is pretty strong in my book....:D

Man of Honour
I think the increments used are too small and you are tiring yourself out.
for example on the squat I would have done up to 160 then rest and go for the 190.
Same for the bench - I would have gone to 115 maybe 120 and then jumped to 135.
obviously same for the deadlift. You would still be properly warmed up and not risk injuries but your CNS wouldn't be as fried.

This is obviously my opinion - I know you are a very experienced lifter with a 600k total but I wouldn't give that much abuse to my CNS on a 1rm session.

Yeah I was being over cautious. It's been years since I've done any heavy work like this, and I think I just wasn't in the mind for it. I was leaving myself many minutes in between. I think I just did it in small increments as it's been such a long time since I've lifted anything heavy close to my 1RMs.

I probably had another 5kg or so in squats for sure, another 10kg in bench, and another 15 at in deads. Which would have put me up to 570 which is better. I will get my 250 dead this year. :cool:

Associate
So despite people telling you to use free weights and less cardio you're going to do more cardio and use machines?

People have also told me to use machines until I feel confident enough to use free weights. If you had actually read one of my posts it states this is my first week in the gym.

Also I was told to do one day cardio and two days weights, so today was more of a cardio day.

So yes, I am taking a range of peoples advice and doing what I feel is best for me.

Man of Honour
Done some legs at gym tonight. Long way off being strong but will get back there.

Squats:
60x6
80x6
100x6
120x5
130x5
140x2x3
100x5x5

Will do some double at 150 next week and 110 5x5

Good mornings:
80x8x3

Some leg curls and calf work.

On to rack pulls and assorted back work on Sunday.
Nice :cool:

I've started playing with good mornings, but I'm being really cautious as they scare me!
I need some deadlifting advice please...We're maxing again in four weeks and I want to try and beat the 210.

For the last six weeks I've been doing 5x3 and todays weight was 180kg which was fine, no failures and decent pulls (albeit one set). Question is how should I work the deadlift for the next four weeks? I was planning to carry on with 5x3 up until the week before and then do a light week before maxing, but I wonder if there's more benefit changing the set/rep structure. I failed 212.5 last time about 3 inches off the floor so maybe I should add some speed work and drop the weight a bit?

Thanks
I'd keep doing your triples, in a peaking fashion, until the week before. If you need to drop the weight down now to be able to peak at that point, do it. Then do one session of speed work early on in the "rest" week. Then proceed to awesomeness.

Pretty **** session today - was hoping to get some decent 1RMs but I had a bad night's sleep and just didn't really feel "alive".

Squats 185
Bench 135
Deads 220

My CNS was switched off by the end of benching, and feel completely fried. Stupid for having tried so much in 2 hrs though.

Squats:

185x1
190x0

Bench:

135x1

Up to 120 it was flying up then everything stopped working :/ Got to 135 and decided to call it a day on that.

Deads

220x1 - so so messy - horrible form.

Meh. I'll give it another bash over several sessions next time - when in a better frame of mind/mood. 540kg is ok... but I have so so much more in me. :(
You're a crazy man for trying it all in session! All things considered (new bodyweight, new form, etc.) you should be pleased. As you've said, you'll likely find more kgs here and there with a different approach.
People have also told me to use machines until I feel confident enough to use free weights. If you had actually read one of my posts it states this is my first week in the gym.

Also I was told to do one day cardio and two days weights, so today was more of a cardio day.

So yes, I am taking a range of peoples advice and doing what I feel is best for me.
As a person who deals a lot with beginners, I can tell you that you'll be fine starting with freeweights initially provided you are sensible and do your research into proper form and stick with lighter weights initially. It is 100% the way to go. No offence intended to whoever it was who suggested it, but they are wrong in this instance.

Did you get vids?

Man of Honour
That's why you shouldn't be doing them :p

For the record, I advise that nobody does them. Seriously, if you do these without knowledge of what's going on or supervision it just becomes a fast way to break your back. There is no advantage to doing them over more basic exercises for 99.999% of people.

Morba is the 0.001% ;)

Soldato
That's why you shouldn't be doing them :p

For the record, I advise that nobody does them. Seriously, if you do these without knowledge of what's going on or supervision it just becomes a fast way to break your back. There is no advantage to doing them over more basic exercises for 99.999% of people.

Morba is the 0.001% ;)

I really like them, especially recently when i've had grip issues with deadlift, but totally agree and never recommend them to other people.

Associate
Glad to see you are back Morba, the forum was definitely missing some of your delicate touch :D.

That's really the best way to think about good mornings :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom