*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Rather than start a new thread, I'll jump in on this one :)

I'm 5ft 11, 76Kg - last time I had it checked I was hovering around 12% BF.

My new aim this year is to continue to drop BF to get the more defined look (no i won't say toned!)

I've been training for a couple of years and my body shape has most definately changed from the 14 stone frame I was sporting back then to a much slimer version so I'm happy with that. I also have a reasonable amount of muscle.

I normally train 5 days a week, using a 4 day split with normally a cardio session in the middle on a wednesday. This breaks down as follows (approximate as sometimes I switch things around)

Monday - Shoulders/Tri's
Tuesday - Back/Abs
Wednesday - Steady cardio between 5k - 10k depending on how I feel
Thursday - Chest/Bi's
Friday - Legs
Sat & Sun - Rest

I try to do compound exercises where possible, although performing squats with heavy weights can make my back ache, it's always been a weakness of mine - so I tend to avoid those in favour of the incline leg press. I've varied my routine over the time i've been to the gym from lower number of reps and higher weight (8-12 reps) to higher number of reps and lower weights (20 reps) to try and keep things fresh. My level of fitness is good, I regularly run half marathons in approx 1:45 (which is not fantastic but good enough for me)

I'm still left with a little fat around the belly and back (the spare tyre area) that is a real bugger to shift. It's really evident when I'm sitting (or slouched) over if I stand upright it's not too bad :D

I've looked at my diet and found I was eating far too much bread, so I'm making an effort to reduce that intake where possible and switch more to wholegrain this year although I'm not a massive fan of it. I don't put extra salt on any food nor do I drink coffee/tea or soft drinks. I consume between 2-3 litres of water per day with an orange juice in the morning.

FYI This is what I intend a typical day to break down as:-

Meal 1 @ 08:00
Protein Shake in Semi Skimmed Milk 200
Bowl of Oats/Porridge 150
Glass of Orange Juice 50
Handful of Unsalted Roasted Peanuts 60

Meal 2 @ 11:00
Medium Apple 85

*** GYM @ 12:30 - 13:30 ***

Meal 3 @ 13:45

Meal 4 @ 14:20
Boxed Chicken Salad 400

Meal 5 @ 16:30
Medium Apple 85

Meal 6 @ 18:00
Main Meal 500

Meal 7 @ 21:00
Tuna Salad and Wholegrain Bread 400

TOTAL CALORIES 2570

The 'main meal' may consist of a baked potato, chicken stir fry or something as simple as baked beans on toast when I get in from work. I normally do induldge in a pizza or something at the weekend. :)

I'm now moving on to HIIT instead of the steady cardio on Wednesday and looking to include a short (15 minutes) HIIT before each workout on the other days. I consider HIIT to be run at 18km/h for 1 minute, walk at 6km/h for 1 minute on the treadmill - repeat until time limit. Not sure if that will work or not?

Does this look about right to achieve my goals? Too much fat in the peanuts?

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
:D

http://www.royalmint.com/olympicgames/sportscollection/LUK50WGT_50p.aspx

LUK50WGT_50p_2.jpg

Soldato
Does this look about right to achieve my goals? Too much fat in the peanuts?

Skimmed over it and seems all ok, maybe move your tri's to your leg day, as if you do a fantastic shoulder & traps workout, your tri's will be lagging effort/energy. As far as the peanuts go, they are fine in moderation, if you are worried about fat, then you need to calculate amount of fat ingested throughout the day, I'd say aim for 80g (1g per Kg of body weight), and as far as the protein goes, you can probably lower it somewhat to 1lb per LEAN body weight, i.e you said 12% body fat, then just take 12% off your lbs body weight and that equals your grams of protein :) Again, just my 2cents.

Soldato
As I managed to injure myself on my 2nd trip to the gym last year and it is only just fixed this is the year for me

as I weigh next to nothing and am rather slim im looking to add muscle and up my overall fitness.

Half marathon and a bikeathon to be completed this year :)

Soldato
Ofcourse :)

Did "something" to my shoulder either at the gym lifting something that was to heavy or landing on it very badly the next day playing football.
I had a dull ache from the 2nd of feb last year until about a month ago, Docs told me at first it was just bruised but after a month ro so that didnt look right so went to phyiso and the pain moved from my shoulder to my neck. The muscles down the front right of my neck where tight 24/7 and very uncomfortable.
Ive now had more physio on my shoulder/back, improved my posture which was putting strain on my back/neck and intense massages on the inside of my neck.

Feel much much better, still working on my posture as apparently it was awful.

Soldato
Strangely it feels much better after my first session on sat loosened it up a bit maybe, A friend of mine is doing a PT course at uni so im his guinea pig, 13 weeks with him.

Means I MUST go to the gym, which was a real issue before. He also has me swimming which I havnt done for years. Hoping this is the year I really push on with fitness.

Ive always been small and skinny, When I did martial arts for about 2 years I was in the best shape of my life, all be it still "small", I dont want to put loads of muscle on, just enough to improve my overall strength and improve my cardio for football.

Im quite excited to be going to the gym, which I never felt before.

Man of Honour
Ofcourse :)

Did "something" to my shoulder either at the gym lifting something that was to heavy or landing on it very badly the next day playing football.
I had a dull ache from the 2nd of feb last year until about a month ago, Docs told me at first it was just bruised but after a month ro so that didnt look right so went to phyiso and the pain moved from my shoulder to my neck. The muscles down the front right of my neck where tight 24/7 and very uncomfortable.
Ive now had more physio on my shoulder/back, improved my posture which was putting strain on my back/neck and intense massages on the inside of my neck.

Feel much much better, still working on my posture as apparently it was awful.
Well done for sticking with your rehab, it sounds like you've been well looked after too which always helps, but postural correction a long a slow road.

Good luck with your mates PT routine, let us know what he has you doing :)

Soldato
had a bad day at work, so straight to the gym and onto the iron. SL5x5 set me 85kg squats and 90kg deads

Lifting things heavier than you are to make you feel better ***!

interestingly i seem to pass the overhead press only every other time i try it. first time at each weight = 55544 or thereabouts, the next time, 5x5 without even trying. Odd.

Man of Honour
Back to the gym for the first time this year for me, wasn't quite as busy as I expected given it was pretty much just the regulars but almost all the equipment was in use anyway.

Decided to start up on Stronglifts again and ease myself into it - time will tell if this is a mistake when I can't get near any of the equipment I need due to the new years resolutioners.

Associate
Ok...so i just got done with my 3rd HST session of the year....still on 15x2 ....but all I have to say is after Stronglifts 5x5 and 4 days splits....HST is just AMAZING!

The sub maximal weights don't make sense on paper for growth etc, but after the deconditioning over xmas the affect is incredible! I know I'm probably being delusional but i feel like I've made small gains already (have been eating very well too)... Im firmly a HST believer.

Man of Honour
BRUTAL session today. I bloody love the gym! <3 <3 <3 <3

Some mobility work on the legs, glutes and hips.

Then onto deads

50x8
70x8
120x5
150x5
170x3
180x1
190x3
190x3
190x3
190x3
190x3