*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I don't get scabs any more, for some reason. My shins are covered with what look like permanent bruises though!

Are you doing a particular routine at the moment?

Man of Honour
Spending a bit of a time with the strength coach at the gym, so just going through a few movements with him so he can gauge where I am.

Though at the moment, I'll probably do

1 week heavy
1 week deload
1 week medium heavy
1 week deload
1 week v.heavy

etc....

Soldato
Nice deads FF, haven't lifted that heavy in a while. I've been doing high rep (well... 10, but that's high enough!) SLDLs though, the ROM is so so much greater now I'm keeping my shoulders right back when doing them, it's a completely different exercise. I used to be able to rep a couple of sets of 15 SLDLs at 120-130kg, it's going to be a while until I'm touching those weights again.

Has anyone had success with a PHAT routine? Thinking of putting that in place of the my staple HST routine, which I'm going to find very difficult to give up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you share your diet and current training regime? Goals and so on.

Nice to see you here! :cool:

Hello, :)

Currently routine is :

Monday - Chest & Tri
Tuesday - Back & Bi
Wed - Shoulders & Legs / Traps
Thurs - Rest
Friday - Abs / Lats / Traps/
Sat - Rest
Sunday - Bi & Tri

If I have to be honest I don't have set routine but I try and stick to a maximum of 12 reps before failure, working all the muscle groups properly. I've found it works for me so I see no need to change it unless someone can point out a very good reason why :) I'm open to expert opinions.

Been training for 1 - 2 years, 6 months break when I moved to work at Overclockers UK until I found a gym which was right for me. Settled now and found a great gym.

Diet isn't great but looking to get it better. I have a big bowl of porridge in the morning + omega 3 tabs, going to start having 3 - 4 hard boiled eggs in the morning too. Lunch is my downfall where I don't normally eat much just some soup or fish pie which is microwaved nothing really protein filled. Normally have some nuts to hand to munch on during the day. Really need to buck my ideas up with lunch. 4pm take a shake which will digest in plenty of time before the gym (currently on USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic) 5:30 finish work and go to train for 45 - 1 hour. Tea consists of 2 - 3 chicken breasts cooked with pasta and sauce or similar. Just finding that the heavy diet takes a big toll on the food bill, but I suppose if I want to be dedicated I have to take the hit (unless others can suggest a diet / meals which are good value on cost which is also protein rich)

I have read much online about diet but can't choose one that is right for me.

Soldato
It'll be interesting to see what he gets you doing FF.

Mansize, I'm going to "deload" with that after I finish my PL cycle (assuming you mean this: http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-...ll-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html). Only for a couple of weeks though, and I'll probably change some of the exercises.

Let us know how you find it. ;) I imagine I'll change some/most of the exercises, too, but just follow the rough concept. I think this year I'll be alternating between this, 5-3-1 and HST. Should see me through nicely.

Associate
Start the gym again after Christmas, went from September-December last year, made a big effort to eat as much as I could as I have always eaten a lot and never put on weight.

Made some definite gains muscle wise and inevitably put on a bit of fat (I have never had any noticeable fat before so I feel massive :D). I just need to get back into eating a lot until around April then cut my diet right down and start doing some cardio alongside to get ready for summer. :cool:

I'm 6'1 and currently around 13 stone.

Man of Honour
Ankle vid! :D
Jeez, demanding much....

;)

I managed to miss my working foot but you'll get the idea.
This needs to be done barefoot.

First, reach out forwards as if you were going to do a pistol squat and bend at the knee. Reach as far as you can but don't touch and rest. Straighten your leg driving through your heal. Then, holding your leg out in front of you, go onto tip-toes.

Second, reach out laterally (while keeping your hips level) and repeat the same sequence.

Thirdly, bring your foot up behind you, aiming for extension in your hip without compromising an upright torso. This means your knee should be slightly behind you. Repeat the sequence above.

Aim to progress by reaching further and squatting lower. Mine isn't great because that's my bad ankle

Associate
Spending a bit of a time with the strength coach at the gym, so just going through a few movements with him so he can gauge where I am.

Though at the moment, I'll probably do

1 week heavy
1 week deload
1 week medium heavy
1 week deload
1 week v.heavy

etc....
I'm looking for a routine atm due to hitting a plateu :( Whats the advantages of doing 1 week heavy, 1 week deload etc?

Associate
What's your current routine Dave?
Monday - Shoulders & Legs

Wednesday - Back & Biceps

Friday - Chest & Triceps

All exercises done with 4 sets, 6-8 reps, varying the weight each set with as much weight as I can lift. Been doing this for about 2 months now, been getting stronger throughout but at that time where I've now hit a plateau.

Soldato
First session back was a laugh :D No New Year Resolutioner's there yet which was ace, but squat rack was in use so I just ended up cleaning 60kg up and doing 3x10 front squats. First time I've squatted in about 6 weeks, as a tight posterior chain has resulted in lower back ache when trying to squat too deep - given my body PLENTY of time to recover.

Immediately after squatting, my hammies were absolutely dead, and quads were flagging - FEEL THE BURN!

Man of Honour
Hello, :)

Currently routine is :

Monday - Chest & Tri
Tuesday - Back & Bi
Wed - Shoulders & Legs / Traps
Thurs - Rest
Friday - Abs / Lats / Traps/
Sat - Rest
Sunday - Bi & Tri

If I have to be honest I don't have set routine but I try and stick to a maximum of 12 reps before failure, working all the muscle groups properly. I've found it works for me so I see no need to change it unless someone can point out a very good reason why :) I'm open to expert opinions.

Been training for 1 - 2 years, 6 months break when I moved to work at Overclockers UK until I found a gym which was right for me. Settled now and found a great gym.

Diet isn't great but looking to get it better. I have a big bowl of porridge in the morning + omega 3 tabs, going to start having 3 - 4 hard boiled eggs in the morning too. Lunch is my downfall where I don't normally eat much just some soup or fish pie which is microwaved nothing really protein filled. Normally have some nuts to hand to munch on during the day. Really need to buck my ideas up with lunch. 4pm take a shake which will digest in plenty of time before the gym (currently on USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic) 5:30 finish work and go to train for 45 - 1 hour. Tea consists of 2 - 3 chicken breasts cooked with pasta and sauce or similar. Just finding that the heavy diet takes a big toll on the food bill, but I suppose if I want to be dedicated I have to take the hit (unless others can suggest a diet / meals which are good value on cost which is also protein rich)

I have read much online about diet but can't choose one that is right for me.

Too much arm work not enough leg work :p Also I'd put in a rest day on the Wednesday as 3 days on the trot like that might also not allow decent enough recovery for you - but again, only you can really work it out with how you feel.

You also don't need a dedicated abs and traps day or arm day.

If I follow your training routine as close as possible, this is what I'd try and do.

Monday - Chest & Back
Tuesday - Legs
Wed - Rest
Thurs - Shoulders & Core
Friday - Chest & Back
Sat - Rest
Sunday - Legs & Arms (if you must :p)

Of course, as an althernative on one of these days you could do a full body complex which would do you a world of good.

Something like this:

Load a barbell with a sensible weight, then do these exercises:

1. Powercleans
2. Push Press
3. BORs
4. Front Squats
5. Pressups / Bench
6. BB rollers (core work)

The sequence goes 1->6 with no rest time in between - then take a 2-3min break in between each sequence. Repeat 4-5x. Doing 8 reps on each exercise.

Diet wise, well porridge is a good start to the day, I like it, but tend not to have it really these days. I'd try and have a bigger lunch or at least a more calorific and a smaller meal before bed rich in EFAs and protein and less carbs. That's down to how my metabolism works howerver.

My calorie loading is usually like this:

Breakfast: 30%-40%
Day time eating: 40-50%
Last meal: 20%

When you're sleeping it's when your body does it's growing/fixing. Eating is a very stressful process on the body believe it or not, it canes your body, and stress on the body releases cortisol which you want to keep to a minimum. since when you sleep your body metabolises it, you want to give it the maximum chance to fix you - so if you're stressing your body with trying to digest a lot of foods, especially high in carbs, you won't let your body recover as well as you should. It's another reason why I'm famished when I wake up!

However, this is just my basic understanding, of course everyone is different, and some people react differently to stimuli on their bodies. However, you have to give something a good few months to bed in to get a feel for it.

Cost is always an issue, and as much as I don't like supplements, if you really have no ability on getting more protein in you, then shakes are a viable alternative - however protein alone won't really give you the calorie fill or satiety unless you combine it with something a bit more filling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom