*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Curse you January man flu.

Still mulling over 2012 goals - first thing is to lose the bad weight I put on over Xmas (first proper middle finger to my diet in a long time!) which should only take a couple of weeks once I'm better. Managed to twist my back loading the washing machine so probably for the best that I don't throw myself back into weights too soon - must be getting old!

Think i'll focus on fitness for a while whilst maintaining strength then maybe make the push for 450kg across the big three.

Associate
Started my first ever cycle of HST on saturday....wow I was not expecting it to be so exhausting! Considering the 15 reps started at a low weight i guess psychologically i was expecting an easy ride...but OH MY GOD. I was panting like a dog after a chewstick when i was done....but man did it feel good!

Current stats

Age 26/ 6ft5 / 210lbs (wide hips and stupid ectomorph limbs :( ...but broad T shirt shoulders)

Goal: Gain Lean Mass in time for holiday to dubai (april)/ Summer/ Holiday to NY (September)

Current HST Routine (1 day on 1 day off as opposed to m/w/f)

Squats
Deadlift (8/6/4)
Seated Row
Bent Over Row
Flat Bench
Lat Pulldown
Shrugs
Seated Shoulder Press
Upright Row (half range of motion to prevent shoulder damage)
Tricep Pushdowns
Bicep Curls

I'll be honest....my form is in tatters by the time i get to the pushdowns and curls...but once Im done i KNOW I've been through the mill!!!

Current diet intake is circa 2800 kcal (I'm paranoid about body fat) - I'm really hoping to make strides this year!

Soldato
I've just got back from my first weights session since I was about 16 and have to say, I really am weak as ****.

I'm following the routine in GordyR's sticky and started on the chest/shoulder/triceps day. I struggled to bench press 30kg and I was struggling after 1 set of incline dumbbell benches with 4kg dumbbells :/. I didn't even attempt skull crushers and my arms were giving up with lateral dumbbell raises. I feel quite deflated as my arms had given up way before I felt physically worn out so didn't real feel like I had pushed myself.

What do you think about using the machines to build up some initial strength as I found 20kg on the shoulder press machine was doable even after my arms had given up with free weights?

Associate
what are your goals?

I don't understand how someone can recommend a programme without weights,

regardless of goals, its the fundamentals!

I think I'm one of the many few pts out there who actually do the Job from experience and not from a book.

tbh there's a lot of good advice on here, also save the the £15-30 your paying.

I just want to be back to around 17 stone with some good muscle on me, rugby player sort of size lol.

The cardio I did today was tiring but as you say, I cant see how weights can't be a part of it, regardless of my weight.

I only did the 1 hour of personal training, may do it again in 2 weeks to see what results it's given but add in some weights on say a Tuesday and Friday?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've had some weird virus/infection/fever thing since new years day, my lymph system has been in tatters, been stiff everywhere and weirdly bloated. Been in bed since the 1st and I've not eaten a great deal until today. Pretty odd stuff.

Thought I'd try a session today regardless, turns out it wasn't too bad.

Deadlifts 190kgx6x5 dropped a set as I was fatiguing
Bench 110kgx5, 105kgx6x2 loaded the bar wrong on the first set :o but it didn't feel too heavy

Deads were good, if tiring. Not as fast as 5x6 from whenever it was and form was a little sloppier, but all things considered I'm pretty happy. I'll do some speed deads to make up for it. Bench is feeling great, although I'll probably need to wait until my next program to reap the benefits of my tweaked form.

Also, during deadlifting warmups I very tightly looped a band around the top of my thigh. Best hamstring mobilisation I've ever done!

Not looking forward to squats this week :eek:
There are no "rules" as to how many times you train other than you can over train and if you don't train properly or hard enough then you won't gain anything. If you don't sleep enough or allow enough recovery or allow for proper nutrition you'll end up doing very little for yourself in either case. Personally training 3x a week is more than enough to get some decent gains. However it depends on numerous factors:

1) Intensity
2) Volume
3) %age of 1RM in relation to 1 & 2.
4) Diet
5) Sleep
6) Individual body's response to training

Get all of those right, then whether you train 3x or 5x a week will make no odds. The frequency of training is down to you to gauge how you're body is responding. Personally, mine can cope with 5x a week - i.e. doing a body part twice in a period of 7 days - but doing different movements. However, if my intensity and volume is high, then I know that training a body part once a week, with perhaps some subsidiary exercises works better.

Ultimately everyone responds differently as per point #6. It's how you make your body work that will be the deciding factor.
Very much this.

I currently squat and bench twice a week, for my next program it will be three times. A lot of oly lifters squat every day.

There are certain tissues I wouldn't want to overload like this, but generally speaking over training is a misunderstood concept.

Man of Honour
Yes, there is lots of discussion about their products in the supplements thread. It's where I get my whey and most powders from, but there are a few other popular places. If you're going to be ordering for the first time, you can use "MP96516" to get 5% off.

Associate
I already have an account :(. thanks anyway

Google for myprotein voucher codes. I just used one that is applied after your account has been made as it was my first order too so I got the buy one get one half price + 5% off. If you want the link trust me and I'll dig it out tomorrow. (note: this is the 5% off first order and not my referral code if that makes sense so usable for anyone who has an account but yet to make an order)

Soldato
hello there! new year, new start.. sick of being a prune so heres my workout plan.. seem all good? too short, too long?

3x8 for the moment, and will work out 3x per week

squat
romanian dead lift
(dumbell calf raises or single leg calf press)
abs (bicycle or captains chair + plank)

bench press
military press or clean and press
(close grip bench or dips)
abs

deadlift
chin up or bent over rows
(barbell curls + hammer curls or farmers walk)
abs

gonna be eating 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight..

im only going to do the workouts in brackets if i am able to, but im sure they shouldnt be too hard? also im really stuck on deciding whether to clean and press or military press? they both seem really useful.

thanks

Soldato
First gym sesh of the year is going to be this evening, and I can't ****ing wait to smash some aggression out in there! Going to spend a couple of weeks trying to get back down to 78kg (put on a christmas kilo!) and will be attempting to figure out a bulking diet in the mean time :)

J.T

J.T

Soldato
First gym sesh of the year is going to be this evening, and I can't ****ing wait to smash some aggression out in there! Going to spend a couple of weeks trying to get back down to 78kg (put on a christmas kilo!) and will be attempting to figure out a bulking diet in the mean time :)

Had my first sesh yesterday, Chest and Biceps.

Went better than expected, I dont appear to have lost any strength from my week off but I could tell I was getting knackered more easy, also put on 2 kilo's over Xmas (sitting at 86.6KG) which really got me down! :(

Legs tonight, not looking forward tot he DOMS tomorrow! LOL!

Good luck with your bulking Monkee mate. :)

Soldato
Cheers man :) Don't sweat the 2kg mate, the size you are you'll burn that off in a week, and a HUGE amount of that will likely be water!

I'd start my bulk now if it wasn't for the fact I don't have a diet sussed and I'm away in London for a course next week!

Man of Honour
I'll be more active in this part of the forums this year ;) Been training for about 1 1/2 years took about 6 month break but getting back in it since last sept. Training is good but my diet lacks and could be better which is what i'll be sorting out this year :)

Can you share your diet and current training regime? Goals and so on.

Nice to see you here! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom