*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Squat check lads :) It's a front squat granted, but first time I've posted a vid up. Weight was at 67.5kg, and was my 3rd set of 5x5. I'm aware of the hyperextension during the clean, think that's probably my max for power cleaning the bar up!

Soldato
Happy birthday to Mr. Delvis indeed!

I think (although could be wrong) knees before toes is normal with front squatting. And A conscious effort is made through-out the lift to push knees outwards, again don't know if front squatting makes this look slightly different :)

Caporegime

I think (although could be wrong) knees before toes is normal with front squatting. And A conscious effort is made through-out the lift to push knees outwards, again don't know if front squatting makes this look slightly different :)

Ta man

try getting a front on angle or something next, that will clarify the kness out ;)

Either way I think it's generally decent, I can't even get in the position comfiotably

Man of Honour

Unless you're on a smith machine, it's very difficult to get your knees level with your toes, it's just easier to balance that way.

Only thing I would say is you rush through your reps a bit, and you have a girls haircut. Other than that, it's good mate

Soldato
Knees will come over toes on a front squat. As mentioned, the weight position means you hips have to stay a lot more forward then they would on a back squat.

Only noticable pointer is keep those elbows up. The higher the elbows, the less work your arms have to do do keep the weight racked.

EDIT: and personally I would say you could do with going lower.

Soldato
Only thing I would say is you rush through your reps a bit

Yeah I'm quite aware of that having watched the video back. This whole relativity thing - feels much longer when you're under teh weight!

and you have a girls haircut. Other than that, it's good mate

Now now James, jealousy's a terrible thing!

Only noticable pointer is keep those elbows up. The higher the elbows, the less work your arms have to do do keep the weight racked.

Will give it a go on Wednesday, but I'm double jointed in my fingers so the angle of my arms is a bit misleading to the pressure I'm applying to the bar (if that makes sense?).

EDIT: and personally I would say you could do with going lower.

Agreed, however I found at the backend of last year that I was getting chronic lower back pain, which when watching myself squat I ended up pinning down to bum tuck at the bottom of my rep. Bit of lower back inflexability (is that a word?), so I just hit parrarell at the moment as that doesn't cause my bum to tuck!

Any advice on how to increase mobility here? Perhaps if Icecold is passing by :)

Associate
Squat check lads :) It's a front squat granted, but first time I've posted a vid up. Weight was at 67.5kg, and was my 3rd set of 5x5. I'm aware of the hyperextension during the clean, think that's probably my max for power cleaning the bar up!

Looked pretty good to me and the clean up was smooth. Like you I would have a narrower stance for front squats.

Only thing I could maybe see was your heel raising ever so slightly as you begin to drive up. It may just be your trainer compressing a bit at the front. But I guess that would still show power isn't coming through the heel.

Man of Honour

Impressive!

Great back stability, although you could do with going slightly deeper. You were right to avoid bum tuck for a while, but now you have more of a feel of your lower back you should push it a little further while trying to keep that stability. Try light goblet squats, they make it easy to focus on your knees, torque through feet and back stability.

Elbows do need to be higher, it does make a difference.

Pay attention to your feet too, there is something going on... either slight pronation or weight coming too far forwards.

To cover all bases:
- elbows higher
- work on ankle ROM (mobility thread)
- push knees out further, try:

and if you have a band, stretchy bandage or something similar, try this around your lower quad/suprapatella pouch - it will change your life:
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/11/episode-344365-compression-tack-and-floss-the-knee.html

Same thing made from inner tube:
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/12/...-super-flosshigh-hamstring-hip-gnar-gnar.html

Oh and Happy Birthday Delvis!

Soldato
That's a lot of food for thought, cheers one and all :) I think milgo's right with my trainers deforming under the weight, I should really start taking them off for squats (want to buy some Vibram 5 fingers after seeing FF's). Elbows being higher would definitely help with escaping from under the bar as well I think!

Ice, got a link to where I can buy an appropriate band? I'll no-homo you long time =)

Caporegime
and if you have a band, stretchy bandage or something similar, try this around your lower quad/suprapatella pouch - it will change your life:
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/11/episode-344365-compression-tack-and-floss-the-knee.html

Same thing made from inner tube:
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/12/...-super-flosshigh-hamstring-hip-gnar-gnar.html

Oh and Happy Birthday Delvis!

Thanks matey :)

Can I ask more about the band thing? Whats the reasoning behind it? And would it be a permanent thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom