*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I also had that issue with not being able to lift the weight I needed to squat over my head. I ended up taking an angle grinder to my old weight bench and using it to make a squat rack. It's a bodge, but it does the job.

make sure it doesnt sanp in half when you replace the weights!

Man of Honour
Squats - These are coming along nicely and I think my form is decent, struggling a little for lift the weight onto my back though over my head. Is there a better way to do this as my Overhead press is 10kg less than my squat at the moment and my housemate had to spot me to lift it back over my head. Other than that though I'm comfortable with the weight used.

BennyC used to use his bench and "boost up from that" in his words so effectively starting the squat from a crouch/almost seated position, I don't know whether that would be possible for you but it might be an option if a squat rack isn't a possibility. It's obviously not as safe or desirable as starting from a a properly held weight but work with what you've got I guess.

Soldato
Over 1150 posts since I last popped in. Impressed.

I've dropped from 13st to near 11st at 160lb (weigh in pending). I'm the leanest I've ever been. Shedded a serious amount of bodyfat. Quite surprised I can still leg press 20 plates (400KG) during this cut. I also felt like squatting til I could no longer go. I managed a 8 tonne squat session in 20 minutes then the gym was closing.

I've got a week left on the cut before I stabilise my weight. Then, I've got some serious goals to attend to. I've consistently battled to become the strongest version of my self at my BW. But late last year, I reassessed how I could take this to the next level.

So here I am, fininish my 9th week cut :)

It's been interesting journey to say the least. Ever since my first transformation, I never bothered with bulk/cut cycles. Just constantly trying to break PR's. Sometimes we need to step back to move forward.

Last edited:
Soldato
i followed up the squat pointers this morning, while also working in with some good squatters (this is rare at my gym)

what a revelation, i felt SO strong

Caporegime
You need to be VERY cautious here.

You say your back is straight, but if you're rolling it over your knees it's likely that your back isn't as straight as you think it is. Pain will only manifest due to either poor form or some underlying issue.

You're lower back and erectors probably are indeed weak, but trying to strengthen them with poor form will break you very fast.

Looks like you started your bench too high to me!

I think it must be down to poor form, as my knees are pretty bruised today. I assume I should not be rolling the bar over my knees? Should I be further forward than that?

Any videos to follow, should have the internet back tonight to have a look.

So, you used to train or? Was you lifting 110KG before or?

I wouldn't have gone straight in and start repping that mind :p

Yeah I used to train, think my PB before was 125IIRC. I only done two reps on 110kg, shouldn't have done it just wanted to see if I could still :( Which I can, has just left me in agony!

Permabanned
Sundays are my cheat days as well.

Had a 4 egg omelette earlier with 3 small sausages, 4 bacon rashers, handful of cherry tomatoes and mushrooms.

Not sure what to have later but as long as it has some protein in and a source of carbs I'm all good.

Associate
Sundays are my cheat days as well.

Had a 4 egg omelette earlier with 3 small sausages, 4 bacon rashers, handful of cherry tomatoes and mushrooms.

Not sure what to have later but as long as it has some protein in and a source of carbs I'm all good.

That doesn't even sound like a cheat...sounds like epic meal breakfast time!

now get some cake in you for a proper cheat ;)

Soldato
Gained 13lbs in 13wks so bang on target. Got about a month left of this then I can start cutting again (thank god!). Not a big fan of bulking, I miss my definition and HITT training. Still, I know it's a means to an ends, just hope my knee will be able to withstand any kind of cardio!

Soldato
binned a shirt that's gotten too tight across the chest this evening. makes a change from the days when i had to bin them for being too tight across the belly. Feelsgoodman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom