*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
That's a lot of food for thought, cheers one and all :) I think milgo's right with my trainers deforming under the weight, I should really start taking them off for squats (want to buy some Vibram 5 fingers after seeing FF's). Elbows being higher would definitely help with escaping from under the bar as well I think!

Ice, got a link to where I can buy an appropriate band? I'll no-homo you long time =)
I forgot to mention about your trainers, they'll be exacerbating your foot issue. Barefoot, or flat shoes with a solid sole.

I'm about to buy the proper compression strips from here: http://www.jumpstretch.com/osc/cata...d=107&osCsid=59443ed581d261d780b80ec178fc364c
...but I've also used my mini resistance band. There are probably a few things that work, my brother made one from an inner tube that is ok (although a small bit already broke off).

I eagerly await your no-homo ;)
Thanks matey :)

Can I ask more about the band thing? Whats the reasoning behind it? And would it be a permanent thing?
It's something you can use as part of a warm up, there is a massive difference to the before an after test. You certainly won't have to do it often.

The reasoning is similar to the concept of lying on your back with your lacrosse ball around your scapula and then moving your arm over head. You're "tacking" a tissue at a certain point and then pulling the tissue over the tack point. Not only does this provide a mild stretch, but as you're pulling knots and other junky stuck down tissue through the compressed area it completely cleans it out.

Soldato
Ice, do you think it's worth me taking some time off from squats (and possible DLs) while i work on correcting my APT? As i'm pretty sure that's why i feel them in my back so much so might be counter productive to keep doing them?

Did so much foam rolling and stretching last night. Quads and hip flexors are brutal.

Man of Honour
You can still do them, but maybe keep them lighter than you normally would and only go as low as your flexibility allows. That's what I'd do if I was coaching you, but also take note of where you're limited and stretch/mobilise accordingly.

Do you stretch your glutes? They can be seriously tight on people with ATP. Internal and external rotation of the femur in flexion can get very limited.

My current mobility mission is to lengthen out my hammies. I'm doing stuff every day for the next two weeks, on top of doing the couch stretch every time I remember. Fun times.

Caporegime
It's something you can use as part of a warm up, there is a massive difference to the before an after test. You certainly won't have to do it often.

The reasoning is similar to the concept of lying on your back with your lacrosse ball around your scapula and then moving your arm over head. You're "tacking" a tissue at a certain point and then pulling the tissue over the tack point. Not only does this provide a mild stretch, but as you're pulling knots and other junky stuck down tissue through the compressed area it completely cleans it out.

Thanks matey :)

Will get those pictures taken tonight for you by the way ;) x

Soldato
Thanks again Icecold, will look in to purchasing some once I'm paid :)

I've got some converse knocking around which I could squat in, just not sure if my joggers would be too long and trail across the ground if I use them!

I eagerly await your no-homo ;)

Get yourself along to the next gym ratz meet :mad:

Man of Honour
Okay. I do knee to chest but that's about it for glutes.. Any others i should do?
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=19584971&postcount=68

;)

Think about doing three angles from the same set up:

1) sternum to mid shin
2) sternum to foot
3) sternum to knee

Apart from 3, you want to make sure your hips stay parallel to the edge of the surface you're stretching on. You'll see what I mean when you try it; if you're stretching your right glute the right side of your hip may want to shoot backwards.

Man of Honour
Thanks again Icecold, will look in to purchasing some once I'm paid :)

I've got some converse knocking around which I could squat in, just not sure if my joggers would be too long and trail across the ground if I use them!

Get yourself along to the next gym ratz meet :mad:
When I wear my joggers they trail around, so I roll them up for an advanced gym fashion maneuver. So much salivation over my twig calves :o;)

I'm definitely not missing the next meet! Just got to make sure it doesn't clash with anything.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=19584971&postcount=68

;)

Think about doing three angles from the same set up:

1) sternum to mid shin
2) sternum to foot
3) sternum to knee

Apart from 3, you want to make sure your hips stay parallel to the edge of the surface you're stretching on. You'll see what I mean when you try it; if you're stretching your right glute the right side of your hip may want to shoot backwards.

I like to do them on the stairs :)
Some pics I took a while back, also some of stuff I do with the band.

IMG_3392-1.jpg

IMG_3394-2.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3399-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom