*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime

it should have rotated by now. i think i see quite a lot of bum tuck :(

Seeing as no one else has said anything.

You are doing that far to quick on the down really, although you can theoretically do that, depends what sort of training you are doing

The bar looks too high on your back...looks like it's on your neck?

Your upper back looks like it's rounded, you need to make sure you are keeping your chest out.

There is some bum tuck, this could be due to the other things not being setup correctly mind, keep an eye on it cause you don't want to naff your lower back up.

Can't tell from the side angle, but make sure you are keeping your knees out, don't let them come in at all.

Above may sound really harsh, but it's what I can see, and it's better to know before you do any actual damage :)

Down to 66kg today? was 67kg yesterday what the hell? Must have been water retention.

More than likely just water buddy, it's 1KG :)

Soldato
Seeing as no one else has said anything.

You are doing that far to quick on the down really, although you can theoretically do that, depends what sort of training you are doing

The bar looks too high on your back...looks like it's on your neck?

Your upper back looks like it's rounded, you need to make sure you are keeping your chest out.

There is some bum tuck, this could be due to the other things not being setup correctly mind, keep an eye on it cause you don't want to naff your lower back up.

Can't tell from the side angle, but make sure you are keeping your knees out, don't let them come in at all.

Above may sound really harsh, but it's what I can see, and it's better to know before you do any actual damage :)

i tend to bomb about a bit fast with the light stuff, and i think it's just the camera angle making the bar look high.

I watched the clip back while i was in the gym and drew pretty similar conclusions on it. I've already started working on it!

Caporegime
Can't take a video at the moment, which is a shame.

Was only lifting 60kg when it started hurting, back was nice and straight. I did work up to 110, but my form was as good as it used to be and never had pain like this.

Leave it a week and it will be gone, hoping its nothing major and just my body not being used to lifting.

So, you used to train or? Was you lifting 110KG before or?

I wouldn't have gone straight in and start repping that mind :p

Caporegime
i tend to bomb about a bit fast with the light stuff, and i think it's just the camera angle making the bar look high.

I watched the clip back while i was in the gym and drew pretty similar conclusions on it. I've already started working on it!

Cool, least you've noticed.

Oh and:

Untitled.jpg

To me, looks too high :) Hopefully someone else will chip in though

Soldato
I started with a wee bit more weight than it recommended, I was already able to bench quite a bit more than the start value so I didn't lower the weight on that lift.

You say that, but you're failing to hit 5x5 on just your 2nd bench session

Remember:
The biggest StrongLifts 5x5 mistake you can make is starting with weights too heavy

I'm on my 7th sesh and i'm not even up to the point where i need a spotter on any of the lifts

Soldato
i did used to work with the bar too high when i first started out and it used to give me neck pain, touching the verterbrae

i've moved down from there now though. I'll have another look in tomorrow morning's session

Soldato
You say that, but you're failing to hit 5x5 on just your 2nd bench session

I'm on my 7th sesh and i'm not even up to the point where i need a spotter on any of the lifts

Mehdi recommends starting on something like half your 5RM.

i had a 40kg bench for 3x8 when i started SL5x5 the first time so i went all the way back to the bar.

Starting too heavy is one of the biggest mistakes you can make in a linear progression program.

Just 9 weeks after i managed a heavily-spotted 50kg 1rm i can comfortably push 2-3 reps at 70kg, and i'm happy to do it unspotted.

all this is thanks to going back to the bar

Man of Honour
i feel much more manly and alpha since i took my gloves off. lifting without gloves is at least 10% more anabolic too.

While i'm here, can i trouble you gents for a quick form check? i had one of my squat but it's upside down :(

Not the best angle to judge, but...

- bum too low
- knees too far forward
- back/core doesn't seem tight, you need to be braced with your back tending slightly towards extension
- you don't seem to properly lock out
- lower the bar by breaking at the hip first instead of the knee

it should have rotated by now. i think i see quite a lot of bum tuck :(
Again, not the best angle

- not hitting depth
- too fast, you're not focusing on your position enough
- bar too high, unless you're trying to do high bar in which case there is too much back movement
- back and core seem loose again
- bum tuck
- can't see what your knees are doing from that angle

Anyone spec me a good dumbell bench press video?

(with correct form) - at the moment I'm really trying to focus on the form of everything. Alternatively, any one particular guy on youtube who has most of the exercises up with correct form?

P.S. I really think Icecold should make a bunch of videos with correct form for all the common exercises :) *hint hint*

kd
;)

I was thinking of doing this for my athletes as I'm not going to be able to train them all at the same time properly. So if I do, I'll post them here.

Man of Honour
Could really do with some advice here guys;

I have just started back in the gym, and of course doing deadlifts this will be my 3rd time doing it this year.

My back is in agony after just my warmup set! Worse than DOMS, even walking about it is horrible. I am very catious about poor form and doubt it is, have also had a friend critique it in the past.

Could it just be my lower back is weak and needs built up? I am struggling to sit down at the moment.

Also when lowering the bar I roll it over my knees, which are now covered in bruises is this normal?
You need to be VERY cautious here.

You say your back is straight, but if you're rolling it over your knees it's likely that your back isn't as straight as you think it is. Pain will only manifest due to either poor form or some underlying issue.

You're lower back and erectors probably are indeed weak, but trying to strengthen them with poor form will break you very fast.
I started with a wee bit more weight than it recommended, I was already able to bench quite a bit more than the start value so I didn't lower the weight on that lift.

sl5x5.png
Looks like you started your bench too high to me!

Associate
You enter BW and starting lifts and how many reps you complete in each session - it'll adjust the weights for your next workout appropriately. I'm still dropping weight for the rest of the month but going to give 5x5 a go in Feb. Will be interesting to see how much strength I've lost from losing ~4kg.

Permabanned
Just done my 9th session on Stronglifts.

Squats 40 / Bench 30 / BOR 40

Squats - These are coming along nicely and I think my form is decent, struggling a little for lift the weight onto my back though over my head. Is there a better way to do this as my Overhead press is 10kg less than my squat at the moment and my housemate had to spot me to lift it back over my head. Other than that though I'm comfortable with the weight used.

I'm working out at home at the moment so don't have a squat rack or anything, just my weights and a bench.

Bench - This is fine and I'm happy with the progress here, doesn't feel like I'm gonig to struggle soon but then it's quite a progressive plan so I'm being patient.

BOR - I can definately tell on this one that I may not complete a set or maybe two in the next 2-3 workouts I do this but will see how it goes. Kind of hoping a small gain in strength will see me threw maybe 4-5 but not so sure.

Really enjoying it though and beginning to see and feel a bit more muscle in my arms and legs are definately stronger as well. I took pictures early Jan and will be doing so again in Feb. Will be good to see and compare them.

:D

Soldato
Squats - These are coming along nicely and I think my form is decent, struggling a little for lift the weight onto my back though over my head. Is there a better way to do this as my Overhead press is 10kg less than my squat at the moment and my housemate had to spot me to lift it back over my head. Other than that though I'm comfortable with the weight used.

If you're using a weight you can get up like that you must find the actual squatting pretty easy. I know i couldn't be able to come close to doing that with my squat 5rm. At the very least maybe stick to front squats, but personally i would do deadlifts instead of squats. Another option would be hack squats, but i've never been able to get to grips (sorry) with them.

Permabanned
If you're using a weight you can get up like that you must find the actual squatting pretty easy. I know i couldn't be able to come close to doing that with my squat 5rm. At the very least maybe stick to front squats, but personally i would do deadlifts instead of squats. Another option would be hack squats, but i've never been able to get to grips (sorry) with them.

The squatting isn't challenging me much at all at the moment if I'm being honest but then I'm following the programme strictly as this is whats always advised and I'm sure the struggle will come with time. :p

My legs are fairly strong anyway being a keen runner and cyclist (mountain/road) so a good base. No doubt the weights will improve this strength even more.

In terms of doing deadlifts they're already part of the program but only on every other workout so 3 times every fortnight. Was thinking of front squats as well, tried it just to see how it felt last week but I don't like them much at all. I may have to do them anyway though until I decide to join the gym (just for the rack I suppose) but would rather workout at home for as long as possible if I'm being honest.

When one of my housemates is in I'll have a spotter but that won't always be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom