*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Events today, we decided to hit the local park at 8.30am, in the rain, to do power stairs with the duck walk handle (high pickup) as the park has a little band stand area with circular 'arena' if you can call it that.

Think it's 9 or 10 steps, some close some needing an extra swing or duck walking to it.

120kg - not timed
140kg - not timed
160kg - 41 seconds (I think)
180kg - you could have watched all 3 Lord of the Rings films I think.

Very hard work, killer on the lungs especially in the rain! Also given I'd torn 2 callouses off a few days ago this was horrid on my hands.
Also had to get it back down the steps each time for next person to have ago. Crazy lol

Back to gym:

Seated head to head bar pull: each sit either side of block/railway sleeper holding onto a bar. You have to pull the other person over the block to win.

Lots of goes at this, took time to get some decent form as not done it before, won some and lost some. Again horrific on my hands.

Incline log press off safeties in the rack:
70kgx3
80x3x3
90x2x3
95x3
100x3
105x3
110x2 (well happy with this, did log pressing on thurs, then seated strict pressing last night)
100x3
70x15 (could have got 20 but couldn't be assed).

I feel the incline log almost fully in my tris, no bad thing as they need to be made stronger :)

Good morning that :)

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Ah ok. I thought I remember you saying how you did xx, but lowered it for Wendler. I guess that's what you meant with the 10% off.

-Edit- Just found what I was referring too:

That's because I hadn't done a RM test before starting my current cycle so would rather under estimate then over.

Caporegime
Legs today, purely went in to hammer them more so than usual. Mission accomplished, walking like a right lemon.

It has been pointed out I seem to be tilting my pelvis sometimes (still) during squats, it got better, but it's something to keep an eye on

NO! I love my food and I'd rather do more work than eat less awesomeness :D

I was kinda joking :p

yep, well actually i have a pretty nice balance running now im working on the theory that a 230lb monster will burn a lot of calories passivley so im just gonna pack on the mass with min fat and let science (and naughty supps) do the rest

Fair game, I was messing about, but I'm pretty sure you know what you're up to either way :)

Caporegime

160kg power stairs. Quicker than i thought actually!

You can't quite see all the steps, so here is Dan's 180 from the bottom of the steps as it shows what stupidness we were doing.

:)

And yes, the end of the handles did keep digging into the thighs!

Last edited:
Associate
Tonight was dead lift night (My fav:D) and I didn't do any dead lifts at all last week as the week before I done a 1rm. Tonight I wasn't wanting to go heavy so I did my 15mins of HiiT some warm-up sets then I put on 140kg(six plates) to see how many times I could rep it. My goal was 12 reps but I managed 15.

Now I stuck in that to a few RM calculators and The only one I found I could only put 10 reps. These came out at 175-187kg but the one I could put 15 reps in came out at 229kg :-O Considering I pulled 190kg last week it seems a bit far off, I'm confused? Have I done something wrong?

Anyway I'm pretty happy with that as I couldn't even get 140 fully up in December and there is a video of my failing...

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I think on lighter weights/higher rep stuff calculating RMs is a bit trickier. 15 is good though, was that resetting each rep or touch and go?

The hardest part of the deadlift is getting the bar off the floor to your knees, which is pretty damn easy at lighter weights, which is probably why lighter/higher rep deadlifts are harder to calculate RMs.

Associate
I think on lighter weights/higher rep stuff calculating RMs is a bit trickier. 15 is good though, was that resetting each rep or touch and go?

The hardest part of the deadlift is getting the bar off the floor to your knees, which is pretty damn easy at lighter weights, which is probably why lighter/higher rep deadlifts are harder to calculate RMs.

Touch and go, Wish I got a video of it=P

Suppose But I've always had the problem with when I get by my knees. Just because thats always the place I fail :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying :) Hows yours coming along anyway?

Pretty good, cycle 1 deload right now, so doing a lot of foam rolling/mobility in prep for cycle 2. I didn't take a deload before cycle 1 so looking forward to what I can do in cycle 2 with proper rest. Also planning to drop BBB and go back to my previous accessory exercises.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Touch and go, Wish I got a video of it=P

Suppose But I've always had the problem with when I get by my knees. Just because thats always the place I fail :(

You have difficultly brining the glutes in when the bar is at your knees?

Touch and go helps with higher reps, simply because you are reducing the exposure to the 'off the floor' portion by using a stretch reflex at the bottom. The purpose of the reset each rep is to train the entire movement as you would do in an all out attempt.

I don't see the purpose of touch and go unless maybe you are doing some BB routine.

Soldato
Tonight was dead lift night (My fav:D) and I didn't do any dead lifts at all last week as the week before I done a 1rm. Tonight I wasn't wanting to go heavy so I did my 15mins of HiiT some warm-up sets then I put on 140kg(six plates) to see how many times I could rep it. My goal was 12 reps but I managed 15.

Nice lifting, however the hiit before weights confuses me, the point of hit is to break down the muscle glycogen stores to encourage the body to use fat stores as part of the recovery process, but you need your glycogen stores to help smash the weights!
Personally I do it at the end of my workout so I don't hamper my lifting.

Associate
Hmm I see but I do it on my + sets now but If I do it though the entire session my hands would get riped :( Even with the chalk I like to keep the tension in my hands. I'm trying to get the best of both. Strength and better asthetics :D

Associate
Nice lifting, however the hiit before weights confuses me, the point of hit is to break down the muscle glycogen stores to encourage the body to use fat stores as part of the recovery process, but you need your glycogen stores to help smash the weights!
Personally I do it at the end of my workout so I don't hamper my lifting.

I've never been sure when to do it because I would just want to get it over with :D I usally smash the weights untill I can't walk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom