*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
hmmm since probably Feb/March and I take a week off probably every 8 weeks.
I start with just wanting to get bigger then I think well I really want to get fitter so I end up doing more running/fitness stuff whilst lifting.
I swear my body composition wouldn't change very much if I stopped training! And for the amount of time I have trained altogether I am pretty sure my lifts should be better which is what frustrates me.

Soldato
Firstly, getting big is a perfectly reasonable reason to go to the gym.

Secondly, have you ever figured out your calorie intake on a daily basis? The problem is, if you're doing a lot of cardio, you're taking away calories that your body would be using to rebuild your muscles. It simply sounds like you're not eating enough if you're not putting on size.

Caporegime
In my shoes I guess prior to the start of the year, I was on and off for about two years before that.

You need to use the gym as a change of lifestyle, not just a diet, not just a fix to look healthy, then change over to getting your CV up, it needs to be permanent.

There is nothing wrong with doing weight AND cardio, in fact, most people do it. Everyone here trains in their own specific way, you have some guys just smashing the weights, some guys going specific strength training, or hypertrophy, some throw in cardio as well, other train for strongman type things, others do olympic lifting...Then you have weirdos like FF who do some crazy arse meso things with jumps and stuff over poles :p

Since I knuckled down with some help of people on this forum, my diet has been sorted so that it can be a part of my lifestyle, not just a diet. My training is focused and pushed towards one goal at the moment. After that, I will adapt and change things around :) I enjoy going to the gym, progress will be slow, it is always slow unless you throw some other factors in, which is why you make small time goals for the next month or two, or 6 months, or a goal for the end of a year etc.

Caporegime
Rubbish, it's plenty enough drive!

Hardly.

Your average guy will go to the gym, lift weights, eat the same (well, probably more due to being more hungry) but not eat the right stuff, and not really get anywhere after a few months, get fed up, and take up beer curls.

Again, there are about 100 factors in that dictating which direction you might go.

EDIT: Came across quite snobby there :p When I say average gym guy, I mean your typical kid who picks up a few weights from Argos thinking they're going to get massive in a few months

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought you lads might enjoy this one.
caae714a.jpg

I look forward to training later.

Didn't get a chance to get to training yesterday. Was busy all day as I had my Naturalisation Ceremony :D :D

Caporegime
I guess you'd be training without straps anyway if you didn't have a foobar thumb, in which case 200 for reps would be a breeze for you.

Majority of my sets are strapless tbh, just that doesn't equate to anything heavy or for much intensity.
Just have to do what I can between now and the comp to do as good as I can.
Annoyingly we have arm over arm also as an event, so 2 events to rip my hands apart lol.

Soldato
Hardly.

Your average guy will go to the gym, lift weights, eat the same (well, probably more due to being more hungry) but not eat the right stuff, and not really get anywhere after a few months, get fed up, and take up beer curls.

Again, there are about 100 factors in that dictating which direction you might go.

EDIT: Came across quite snobby there :p When I say average gym guy, I mean your typical kid who picks up a few weights from Argos thinking they're going to get massive in a few months

And they are the type of person who wont stick with it no matter what the end goal is so i don't really see your point :confused: Doesn't matter whether you want to shed 30lbs of fat, get abs or get huge. It's not going to happen in a couple of months either way.

Caporegime
Oh, best squat session ever this lunch time.

Gym - dead. Perfect :D
60kg on the bar, lets get some warm ups done... 1 set. Great.
Some nice looking little female trainer comes over to clear the area up of DBs and unused plates....
"wow you have big calves"
Now, this is where things go wrong. Getting back under the bar has left my mind and my mouth opens.
20 mins later, "oh, I best let you get on with your workout as your in your lunch break"
Crap.
80kgx5
100kgx5
take plates off bar, pick up towel, go get changed.

Doh!

Caporegime
And they are the type of person who wont stick with it no matter what the end goal is so i don't really see your point :confused: Doesn't matter whether you want to shed 30lbs of fat, get abs or get huge. It's not going to happen in a couple of months either way.

Yeah, because every person goes in to the iron game knowing all of the ins and outs of it, and knowing exactly what factors contribute to certain games.

It's when you start to learn the parts in between you decide whether to stay in it or not. Same with everything, be it work, fitness, or a hobby

EDIT:

I may be going to DW sooner rather than later :o I've finished all my work and they don't have anything for me to do :o

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm giving up caffeine, it has been decided. I've become too used to having some before a workout. This week being deload, I don't have any caffeine and I feel horrible. So I'm going to stop my pre workout supplements for now and stay off the caffeine.

Soldato
I'm giving up caffeine, it has been decided. I've become too used to having some before a workout. This week being deload, I don't have any caffeine and I feel horrible. So I'm going to stop my pre workout supplements for now and stay off the caffeine.

Looks like your typical caffeine crash :p Had the headaches to go a long with them yet?

Associate
Make short term goals to keep yourself interested more. I started of last year just wanting to get 'bigger' and lose fat. I then got hooked on strength training which helped me stay interested. Just focusing on the three main lifts with assistance work and maybe 15 mins of HiiT if I can be bothered. This helped me lose fat and get bigger while doing next to no boring cardio :D You wont get unfit from just doing heavy weights. A few weeks ago I ran a 5k up hill then back down in just over an hour no problem and that is the first time I've went further than 2k In over a year and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom