*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Lol takes 30 seconds to slip into my gear. I don't wear a suit or anything for work and I train in socks. For upper body I don't do huge amounts of warmup. Legs need quite a bit more, which is why I don't get so much done.

Soldato
I have a general question and don't wish to clog up SA with a thread of it's own.

2012 has been set as the 'year I get swole', after farting round for years not doing anything serious because I procastinate over what to do and never get anything done. At 27, if I get to 30 and still look meh, I'll be looking for a bridge to jump off (not srs). A sweaty, weight-filled gym has just opened in my town which seems entirely populated by jacked blokes - an awesome stroke of luck - so it's a sign I need to get in there and start squatting, deadlifting etc. It's this one if anyone cares.

Anyway, I work a job near Canary Wharf with weird hours, 12 hour shifts which are always 8-8 - am to pm or pm to am. Over a month I do, per week, 4 days, 4 nights, 3 days, 3 nights, with the actual days themselves varying from the first portion of the week to weekends. I then do a month of more regular hours. Ignoring them and concentrating solely on the above, work days provide me with approximately 0 free time: I get up at 6, leave at half-past, get home at 9:30 and am in bed by 10-11. However, I typically get 4 whole days off in a row.

I'm thinking rather than go on an internet detective hunt in order to tailor a program/diet around my job, I should pay for a PT to assist me there, then use him irregularly every couple of months. I know most PT's are ****, but then one I'd like to use isn't (this is him).

Worth the investment? Knowledge on the internet is free, but I feel like I'll get better results having someone lay everything down, personalised for me, in order to achieve the greatest results, with my job being to execute. I don't require motivation, just direction.

Caporegime
For a lifetime? Pay as you go?

No idea, in the price booklet thingy there are re-assessments which are £10, but the girl at the desk didn't know how often you had to do them. Completely useless and she spoke to me like a was a moron. Going to go back another day or ring instead.

Associate
I've paid £25 for an induction at my council run gym. Then it's like £5 a pop. The £25 is a one time only thing.

Suits me as I go once every couple of months with my step dad.

I wouldn't want to pay for an induction as well as a monthly contract. Bit of a joke really.

Soldato

Depends how knowledgeable and motivated you are really. If you want to put the time and effort in, you can learn the exercises yourself, come with a routine that suites you and work it around your own schedule.
Now if you're having trouble with that, then yeah get a PT and he can help you along the way. Coming from a PT myself, what you laid out is clearly something you can do yourself, it's just down to motivation :)

Man of Honour
My mobility warm up takes a good 10 mins at least! :o

I have to say that in general during the week I like to be in and out of the gym ASAP. I hate faffing about. I like to get on with it, get it done, and get home. I love being at home :)

Soldato
Depends how knowledgeable and motivated you are really. If you want to put the time and effort in, you can learn the exercises yourself, come with a routine that suites you and work it around your own schedule.
Now if you're having trouble with that, then yeah get a PT and he can help you along the way. Coming from a PT myself, what you laid out is clearly something you can do yourself, it's just down to motivation :)

Ta. I'm pretty clued up on most of the lifts and stuff, I'm not a noob (got my copy of Strength Training Anatomy on the bookshelf, read SS, Stronglifts etc, watched plenty of Rippentoe vids on form, played about with proper kettlebells for a couple of years, done some HIIT, jogging, cycled to work every day in my old job, got a pull up bar on my door lol), it's just the tailoring it to me part. I like the idea of just being able to get on with it then learn along the way.

Being a PT yourself, is it kosher having someone utilise you for the routine/diet and a few initial sessions to get everything understood properly, then only come back for checkups every couple of months? It feels kinda... cheeky, I dunno.

I also need to check this gym out tomorrow as I can't see any bleeding barbells in the pics and although db bench would be fine as I wouldn't have a buddy/spotter and their benches appear to be devoid of racking, no free squats or deadlifts for a 'bodybuilding gym' would make me have to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Would like to add i have always done this kind of training as i feel it helps my explosive power in the pool. For instance i can throw a 12Kg medicine ball 15 metres from lying on my back (Like a butterfly motion) which i don't think many people could do.

And i tend to limit slow movement exercises (Like deads) as they don't really help me in the pool.
There's no reason why deads need to be slow. What else do you do?
170kg for 8 reps tonight on deadlifts, feels good!
Nice!

Went in for a mobility session to pre-empt the inevitable DOMS. Also did some walking overhead lunges which are awesome when you can do them strictly. Oh, and 3x8 lunges are definitely per leg ;)

Associate
Guys,

If I'm buying 400g packs of refridgerated, ready diced chicken from sainsburys, and the nutritional info says 30g protein per 100g - then that means I will get 30g per 100g (quarter of the pack) after cooking right? I've read some conflicting info regarding the protein count being effectively divided by 2 after cooking which would throw my macros right off :eek:

Caporegime
My mobility warm up takes a good 10 mins at least! :o

I have to say that in general during the week I like to be in and out of the gym ASAP. I hate faffing about. I like to get on with it, get it done, and get home. I love being at home :)

What do you do for your mobility warm up?

Should really start doing this myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom