*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Forgot my BCAAs this morning but still beasted the gym, had a 10 - 20g of whey when I got to work!

FWIW I've been continuing IF for a month or so without BCAA because I couldn't be bothered with the expense. I've just given in and grabbed some scivation xtend so I'm interested to see if it actually makes a difference now I'm used to fasted training without it.

Soldato
First DL session since I hurt my back :) glad to see I've not lost much strength, stopped at 85% of max but it was very comfortable :)

The best thing is starting to snatch again, 2012 is going to see a lot of improvement there....I hope :D

Soldato
FWIW I've been continuing IF for a month or so without BCAA because I couldn't be bothered with the expense. I've just given in and grabbed some scivation xtend so I'm interested to see if it actually makes a difference now I'm used to fasted training without it.

Well I'm sure you're aware of the science behind it, but it's meant to stop the catabolic state your body finds itself in without food during your workout period. So it would make sense that it'd have a detrimental affect, but how much it'd be if you weren't already 110kg of lean weight, I've no idea!

I'd have thought the post-BCAA intake would be more important than the pre-BCAA intake tho. Stopping your body from being catabolic for several hours after a work out must be more important than stopping it during an hour of exercise!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

xtend is tasty !

Soldato
Well I'm sure you're aware of the science behind it, but it's meant to stop the catabolic state your body finds itself in without food during your workout period. So it would make sense that it'd have a detrimental affect, but how much it'd be if you weren't already 110kg of lean weight, I've no idea!

I'd have thought the post-BCAA intake would be more important than the pre-BCAA intake tho. Stopping your body from being catabolic for several hours after a work out must be more important than stopping it during an hour of exercise!

Yeah I've done my background reading on it before and used it for the first few months of IF. It's just so bloody expensive especially if you meet the leangains recommended dosage. I've made little to no strength progress in months but I'd put that down to the fact I've been in a calorie deficit for about 18 months :o. Gonna see if this helps out on top of changing my diet a bit to somewhere around maintenance calories, see if I can perform the holy grail of recomping.

Do you stick to the 10pre/10intra/10post that LG recommends? I found that a little awkward as it meant taking two drinks to the gym.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you stick to the 10pre/10intra/10post that LG recommends? I found that a little awkward as it meant taking two drinks to the gym.

Nope, not at all mate. I take 10 pre, then I probably take 10 - 15 of whey when I get in to work and that's it.

However, I'll be ordering one of those MyProtein shakers with the mini compartments, which should enable me to easily carry 2 or 3 doses around with me.

Also, isn't it 10-pre, 10-post, and 10-post-post? :D

Man of Honour
Tried Deadlifting 165kg last night! did not even budge it.... PB is 150 but been doing a lot of strength training for last 6 weeks and thought i would at leats make a good effort at it!!

Want.... no, need to break 2.5x bodyweight :(

On separate note, Steedie - you hiding under a rock?

Try looking today

I didn't reply directly to your email rather created a new one this time, for some reason it might have been getting caught up in our junk filter

Soldato
Nope, not at all mate. I take 10 pre, then I probably take 10 - 15 of whey when I get in to work and that's it.

However, I'll be ordering one of those MyProtein shakers with the mini compartments, which should enable me to easily carry 2 or 3 doses around with me.

Also, isn't it 10-pre, 10-post, and 10-post-post? :D

Could be! Was off the top of my head so not 100%. Will report back on Friday after trying 10 pre 10 post I reckon.

kai

kai

Soldato
Good effort Kai, you strong featherweight :p
The first part of the deads is always the hardest, especially if you want to lift properly and not lift the entire thing with the lower back. Are you following any specific strength program or just lifting heavy ass weights?

I am just trying to shift some serious weight around the gym, basically first two sets are performed with Fat Gripz then i go heavy for one/two working set. This is the problem the initial drive without bringing my entire lower back into the equation! :mad:

Steedie - just got your email, thank you :D

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Keep it up dude, you'll nail it soon enough. Just doing deadlifts will improve your leg drive. I really focus on pushing my feet into the floor and repeat in my head "ass down, chest up" each rep. You'll see many people start off with good form but just keep increasing the weight, past the point where they can use legs and just use lower back. It's one thing that annoys me most, because there is no way you should do a deadlift that way. You'll hear people say "yea it was a stiff leg deadlift".. it's not. Stiff leg the movement is started at the top and includes a stretch reflex at the bottom, not lifting a dead weight off the floor with stiff legs :p

Last edited:
Associate
Got major doms from squatting on Monday :( painful to walk about and all but should I train tonight like a man and embrace the pain or cower on the couch till Friday? I'm sure it won't be bad after I get started but should I ?

Associate
Well, what are you training for shoulders now?

Not just iso's

Well Dude,

5x 10 - militry press
4 x 12 - side flying
5 x 10 - back militry press

4 x 12 shrugs.

The above does work for me, but slooooooooooooooowww progress on getting a football shoulder.

This is what I mean like a football shoulder :)
IRjgX.jpg

Soldato
Nice, how much were you squatting before? My legs are fried after a good squat session.

150KG. I wasn't really going for max weight though, I was doing drop sets to 80KG just to try and burn my legs out. So 10 reps 10 150 then 12 slow at 80KG.

My legs were wobbling after the rest of my workout lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom