*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well last week of cycle 1 and squats felt a lot better when I narrowed my stance a little.

C1 - W3 - Squats

97.5x5
102.5x3
115x7

Assistance:
RDL
Hip thrusts
Core work

Oh how I've missed the assistance work compared to BBB :p

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Hi guys, I need a bit of advice please :)

I used to train pretty hardcore during my college and uni days days, say 2001 up until 2008 - mainly weights, cardio just for warm-up/cool-down. But then I lapsed once I got a job and became fatter and lazier and less than a year later I slipped disc (L1/S5 or L5/S1 I can't remember which way round) and had to stop altogether.

Anyway, after a few years of being out of the game I feel like my back muscles are finally strong enough and fancy getting back into my power training and will be purchasing a power rack and bench.

Of course I will start slow and keep my technique as perfect as I can (need to dig out Arnies encyclopaedia again), but I was wondering if anyone else here has come back from a slipped disc and what precautions did they take or did they buy any special supports or equipment?

Cheers :)

Associate
Hi guys, I need a bit of advice please :)

I used to train pretty hardcore during my college and uni days days, say 2001 up until 2008 - mainly weights, cardio just for warm-up/cool-down. But then I lapsed once I got a job and became fatter and lazier and less than a year later I slipped disc (L1/S5 or L5/S1 I can't remember which way round) and had to stop altogether.

Anyway, after a few years of being out of the game I feel like my back muscles are finally strong enough and fancy getting back into my power training and will be purchasing a power rack and bench.

Of course I will start slow and keep my technique as perfect as I can (need to dig out Arnies encyclopaedia again), but I was wondering if anyone else here has come back from a slipped disc and what precautions did they take or did they buy any special supports or equipment?

Cheers :)

Never had a slipped disk but I fractured a disk in my lower back 2 years ago (can't remember which one, 2 maybe 3 disks above my coccyx) but as I wasn't lifting at the time I was never made away of how long to avoid the weights for...

I started with lots of core work before I even picked up a dumbell more than 20Kg nevermind deadlifts. Once I had a decent base I then started on the deadlift "machine" we have at the gym. And only recently have I started actually deadlifting, I suggest taking things slowly, it only takes one bad rep to put you back in hospital :)

Oh, and stretch those hamstrings :p

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Cheers bro ;)

I've being doing core for the past couple years now, with the physio initially but then integrating an exercise ball into my dumbbell routine which has strengthened my core a hell of a lot. I feel I'm ready to get back on the big stuff, but will deffo take baby steps first.

Did you use any type of belt after you fractured your disc? There seems to be mixed opinions on if you should use a belt or just concentrate on posture. Obviously I will try to maintain correct posture throughout, but was wondering if I should get a belt to help avoid any lapse in posture - but I don't want the belt to add any unnecessary pressure on my discs so I am in two minds as to which would be the better option.

Man of Honour
After back problems you are probably going to have to completely rethink how you approach core training. It's highly likely (almost certain) that your movement patterns are faulty, which means that even doing core training as you normally would might aggravate your injury.

Do you have any more details of your injury?

There is plenty of material to read in the exercise guide thread (look for "core" near the bottom of the first post), but in general, you want to be encouraging stiffness in your lumbar and avoiding exercises that promote movement there. You will also need to pay attention to your spinal alignment 24/7, including when lifting. If you are moving around in extension or flexion then you'll run into problems (such as the one you currently have :p).

Soldato
I'm 6ft 1 and 163lbs. Obviously trying to bulk. I've done some research and apparently need 3000 calories to bulk. Using the 40/40/20% rule i worked this out.

300g Protein
300g Carbs
67g Fat

Does this sound right?

Do you guys have any advice to help me gain these? I'm eating chicken/oatmeal/potatoes etc as well as 3 my protein 'impact whey' shakes a day. I also snack on mixed nuts throughout the day.

Soldato
I'd be shocked if you need over 180g of protein a day mate, yet alone 300g! Try dropping the protein and uping the carbs and fats. Don't be worried about fats as long as you're getting from good sources (eggs, animals fats, nuts, good oils), they won't go straight to your belly! :p

Man of Honour
You have no need for 300g of protein. You can pretty much 1/2 that - so that's only 600 calories that you'll need to get from more fats or carbs if you want extra calories. So that's maybe around 70g of extra fat, or 150 of carbs. Or a combination of the two in which ever way you want.

Man of Honour
W00t! :cool:

After this meso cycle I'm going to be hitting the squats and regular deads again. :cool: A bit of volume training perhaps.

After my wedding I'm allowed to "get bigger" - until then I'm going to have to get stronger instead ;) Oh what a shame!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Deload tonight, took me 15 minutes to do my bench, dips and cgbp. Then got the bands and lacrosse ball out to hit the shoulders for 20 minutes. Then did 10 15s intervals on the treadmill.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
After back problems you are probably going to have to completely rethink how you approach core training. It's highly likely (almost certain) that your movement patterns are faulty, which means that even doing core training as you normally would might aggravate your injury.

Do you have any more details of your injury?

There is plenty of material to read in the exercise guide thread (look for "core" near the bottom of the first post), but in general, you want to be encouraging stiffness in your lumbar and avoiding exercises that promote movement there. You will also need to pay attention to your spinal alignment 24/7, including when lifting. If you are moving around in extension or flexion then you'll run into problems (such as the one you currently have :p).

I had physio therapy for almost a year after and they taught me the correct techniques to strengthen the muscles around my spine and hopefully I've been doing them correctly.

Details wise, all I really know is I slipped my L5 S1 and tore the surrounding muscles - I lived through it but eventually I experienced worse sciatica and was laid up for a few weeks, but the physio said this inactivity caused me to lose nearly all of my muscle mass around that area so it took me some time to build it all up again. It's better now, but I occasional still take cocodamol if I get stiff to help me relax the muscles and stop tension - but that's only after a long day of sitting at work and know here near as much as before.

Core wise, I think I'm at a stage now where I'm strong enough to start back on the big stuff... we'll soon see.

Thanks for the advice :)

Man of Honour
Yep, this is the last week of my developmental block so I really need to get some squatting done. There is a comp on Nov 18th that I'm aiming for, so if I can get anything over 200kg again I'll be over the moon.

FF is going on a bulk, I already feel smaller...

Man of Honour
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuark

5 days until the Olympia! Least competitive Olympia that I can remember with no one looking to challenge Phil, but I still love staying up and watching it

Kai Greene is looking joocey, I'm praying he can come in 100% and at least keep Phil on his toes

Mirin' this physique hard!

2zrokt0.jpg

Man of Honour
snip

Core wise, I think I'm at a stage now where I'm strong enough to start back on the big stuff... we'll soon see.

Thanks for the advice :)
Sounds like your fairly eager to get going! :cool:

It's important to know that the "big stuff" is still basic core training. The biggest and strongest guy I know (international level powerlifter) still does the stuff I listed in the exercise guide.

Teaching your core to work properly first will result in more strength down the road.

There's no reason you can't also be squatting and deadlifting (great videos in the exercise guide) at the same time, but be careful.

Oh, and you should have no use for a belt. Belts do not prevent breaks in posture.

Associate
New routine starts tonight, and who knows I may even update my log :).

This time focusing on volume on squats to help them out a little and then the rest won't be too different from last time because it all worked well. So lots of work of the floor for deads and time focusing off the chest for bench.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Sounds like your fairly eager to get going! :cool:

It's important to know that the "big stuff" is still basic core training. The biggest and strongest guy I know (international level powerlifter) still does the stuff I listed in the exercise guide.

Teaching your core to work properly first will result in more strength down the road.

There's no reason you can't also be squatting and deadlifting (great videos in the exercise guide) at the same time, but be careful.

Oh, and you should have no use for a belt. Belts do not prevent breaks in posture.

Yep, def eager :) I just really miss my training!!

Thanks for the advice. I will always keep working my core, I don't want to cripple myself at this age so that's my main priority. I will check out those exercises :)

I will concentrate on my posture and technique, I hope it all comes back to me like riding a bike ;) Cheers man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom