*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I used straps last night when doing one arm bent over rows as I have a problem holding onto 40kg and above, it just keeps rolling out my hand mid set :( Got up to doing a few sets of 50kg with them but I feel dirty :D

I tried using them on box dead lifts a few weeks ago but they felt horrible plus make me lose concentration on keeping my core tight.

Going to go for 200kg tonight, been pulling it of the box easy for reps these last few weeks so im giving it a go and it will be roughly 3xbw :D

Associate
Quick, it's a Delvis post, jump on it!

I think they are just a little confused and they think you are doing it like this:

BB held in hands rather than in a squat position?

They traditional way is to have they bar on your back like when you squat, you could also have it in the front rack position for some extra core stimulus but that would be considerably harder. Holding it in your hands is just a little unnecessary.

I only use straps on Kroc rows because trying to do 20+ reps with a heavy dumbbell is suicide on your grip and I have been know to use them on RDLs. I still maintain that they shouldn't be used except when your own grip has already failed that way you get the maximum affect on your grip but still being able to train properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having it on your back ala Squat is also a nice way to get used to heavy ass weights there, as typically your calf raise numbers will be lot higher (or am I broken?).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ouch. Cluster sets with deads. I miscalculated the weight... oops.

60x10
100x10
110x8
140x5
180x (4x2) 10s
180x (4x2) 10s
180x (4x2) 10s
180x (3x2) 10s - dead couldn't do any more.
So I tried 200x 2 :p

Powercleans: 4x 80x5

Glute bridges 4x 80x8

BB roll outs 4x10

:cool:

Soldato
I use the leg press for my calls, I feel I can more easily control the movement as well as handle more weight in a more controlled manner.

I have been considering getting straps, but only for things like walking lunges, pull ups, chin ups, and only after my grip has gone from earlier in the session

Associate
Ouch. Cluster sets with deads. I miscalculated the weight... oops.

60x10
100x10
110x8
140x5
180x (4x2) 10s
180x (4x2) 10s
180x (4x2) 10s
180x (3x2) 10s - dead couldn't do any more.
So I tried 200x 2 :p

Powercleans: 4x 80x5

Glute bridges 4x 80x8

BB roll outs 4x10

:cool:

Those deads look unpleasant :).

How do you find the glute bridges, do they take a long time or are the very tiring?

I want to try to fit them in somewhere but my program is looking a little full right now.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
seeing more and more people using them in my gym now and its idiotic, lat pull downs and other machine work using straps !? seriously if your grips that bad work on your grip.

on a serious note, having a weak grip compared to the weight your lifting cant be good for you either as id imagine there's a chance of ripping the hell out of muscles in your forearms due to lack of actual strength.

Man of Honour
I tend to do them on deadlift days. I normally go a lot heavier, but I was dead.

I do a 2s pause at the top. Give myself about 90s-120s between sets.

You can do them between 2 benches if you really want to get a massive ROM. I think they're fab. :)

Soldato
I tend to do them on deadlift days. I normally go a lot heavier, but I was dead.

I do a 2s pause at the top. Give myself about 90s-120s between sets.

You can do them between 2 benches if you really want to get a massive ROM. I think they're fab. :)

I normally do them flat on the floor at the moment, but might try with the bench and see how that feels.

I do agree though, they're good, but if you get the bar in the wrong place (if not using a pad), then it doesnt feel that good:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom