*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/round-back-deadlifts/#more-1921

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/deadlift/

Two awesome reads. I haven't gone through all of the second on yet because it is loooooong :).

Just reading the first of these, I REALLY like this:

Take a breath in, and then exhale slightly, allowing the ribs to come down.

Now, while keeping the ribs down, take a fully breath into the belly. It may help to think about breathing into your back.

From here, brace your core and lower back for the best of both worlds.

Just stood up and tried it, very noticable difference. Whole trunk feels solid. I'm guilty over hyperextending for squats especially, so gonna try this cue out this week!

dod

dod

Soldato
chest day
2X10X18kg dumb bells
3X10X20
2X10X22.5
2X9X25
1X6X27.5
2X3X30kG Pleased to see them back again :)

3X10X55 Barbell

Shoulders
3X10X16kg dumb bell press
3X10X42kg press machine
3X10X12 front raise

Soldato
The weights you guys work with make me feel like a lady :( but I will catch up one day :mad:.

One bit of advice I wanted to ask is around protein shakes, right now I drink it only on the days I have a work out, drink me 30mins before and one 10mins after. Right now I just have it with skimmed milk to try get some calories into my diet. Just wanted to make sure Im not over using them, and if I should be drinking them even on my rest days.

Thanks guys, been amazing how much you have all helped me and I'm really getting some results even though I'm only 3 weeks into this.

Man of Honour
The weights you guys work with make me feel like a lady :( but I will catch up one day :mad:.

One bit of advice I wanted to ask is around protein shakes, right now I drink it only on the days I have a work out, drink me 30mins before and one 10mins after. Right now I just have it with skimmed milk to try get some calories into my diet. Just wanted to make sure Im not over using them, and if I should be drinking them even on my rest days.

Thanks guys, been amazing how much you have all helped me and I'm really getting some results even though I'm only 3 weeks into this.

To a certain degree it doesn't matter. Protein shakes will only 'help' if yoir diet is rubbish: with good and proper food in the right amounts, you won't need protein shakes, but they may help boost your protein intake if your diet lacks it. If you just think of them as food and nothing more, that is about right.

Regarding timing, having fuel in your body prior to training is always useful,but protein should not be the sole focus. Do not forget your carbs, too.

As longas you have a good and appropriate diet, you shouldn't need protein shakes.

Associate
Did my first proper squat session on Thursday, I still struggle to get out of my chair :p Hopefully I'll be able to ramp the weight up sometime soon!

Squats - no real structure to the weights as I didn't really know what I could do, and there's no rack/cage so I didn't want to go too far!
30x10
40x8
50x8
60x8
70x8
80x5
90x3x3

Not too bad I suppose but I can still bench more than I can squat :eek:

I suspect it will be like when I first started lifting I could only do 10kg fly's and a few weeks later I was using 18's so hopefully after a few weeks I'll be able to do way over 100!

Caporegime
Someone has decided to put a massive multi cross fit thing in our gym. It's bloody fantastic, dip bars, Olympic bars, rings loads of pull up bars. Someone else seems to have popped some kettle bells in there.

My mediocre gym has just became the best gym in the world, can even see my gym from my bedroom window :D

Associate
Just reading the first of these, I REALLY like this:

Just stood up and tried it, very noticable difference. Whole trunk feels solid. I'm guilty over hyperextending for squats especially, so gonna try this cue out this week!

It makes a massive difference. Prepare for squats and pulls like you have never seen before!! :p

Squats:
60x5
100x5
130x2
150x1
165x5 (PB)

Bench:
60x5
70x3
80x3
90x5 (=PB)
80x7

Nice work man!

Mirin' them squats.

I would wife the **** out of her.

+1

My legs are absolutely ruined. I had the stupid idea of trying out some front squats and high bar squats on Friday after an already pretty high volume squat session. I have been waddling around for the last two days with no sign of anything improving :(.

Soldato
Well my achilles area is hurting today, not sure what it is from. Legs day was Friday and they were a bit sore after that, then I did a timed 1 mile run on the treadmill after. Was hurting a little yesterday and today it just feels even worse, probably didn't help I had kick boxing this morning. Really is tender though, not had this before :o

Was just looking at the exrx standards thinking I am behind where I should be, didn't realise that was 1RM phew.

I weigh around 160lb
Not including bar my lifts are
My squats other day where 80kg for up to 12 reps
Bench is around 50-60kg
Deads 1-110 I think.

This sound reasonable? I need to eat more foooood I burn so much off at work don't think I eat enough to replace that and train afterwards. Hard work when I don't have an actual lunch break to eat.

Soldato
Well my achilles area is hurting today, not sure what it is from. Legs day was Friday and they were a bit sore after that, then I did a timed 1 mile run on the treadmill after. Was hurting a little yesterday and today it just feels even worse, probably didn't help I had kick boxing this morning. Really is tender though, not had this before :o

Was just looking at the exrx standards thinking I am behind where I should be, didn't realise that was 1RM phew.

I weigh around 160lb
Not including bar my lifts are
My squats other day where 80kg for up to 12 reps
Bench is around 50-60kg
Deads 1-110 I think.

This sound reasonable? I need to eat more foooood I burn so much off at work don't think I eat enough to replace that and train afterwards. Hard work when I don't have an actual lunch break to eat.

You mean:

100 squat

80 bench

130 dead

Everyone (except you) includes the bar in their weight total.

Also, they're working weights, having seen you lift, you could lift a fair bit more for a RM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom