Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well, not a bad start to the week for squats:

70x5
100x3
110x5
120x3
140x1 = PB (Had to really push to get out the hole as I didnt want to fail)
120x3

Thinking of adding in some single leg exercises like Split squats too, as my left side was close to caving in on the PB.

Associate
Guys I've been doing SLs for a few months now and maybe think its time to do a more refined work out maybe...

I'm getting towards a weight now where I want to start toning, what would be a good 3 day regime to start with? I enjoy SLs but is it a good long term regime?

Soldato
eugh 'torning'.. I didnt think there was a weight you had to hit before you had to 'tone' up. Also, if you want to get more defined, then its not just training, we need to also look at your diet too.

What are your current lifts and post up your diet and calorie intake if you can.

Caporegime
Guys I've been doing SLs for a few months now and maybe think its time to do a more refined work out maybe...

I'm getting towards a weight now where I want to start toning, what would be a good 3 day regime to start with? I enjoy SLs but is it a good long term regime?

You mean you want a lower body fat percentage?
If so, change your diet not your routine.

Associate
'Toning' is probably my most hated 'gym' word. Gives me visions of people doing bad exercises, tonnes of reps thinking they can spot reduce fat and build their muscles.

Just keep doing what you're doing and either sort your diet or add in some CV work (or both).

Associate

SL is not a very good long term routine. Look up some periodised progressions, even if strength isn't your overall goal these will be a lot better for your body.

However, if you are wanting to lose weight the best thing to do is to make changes in your diet.

Associate
I may have mis-worded it :p

To put it simply, I've lost 11 stone in a year so my diet and plan is obviously working but at the expense of losing 3lbs a week currently.

By doing SL's I think I have lost predominately fat and not muscle.

Are there any other better routines that I could try that accommodate more to the gaining muscle side of things rather than losing weight. I understand I need to lose a lot of body fat % at the same time though.

My diet at the moment consists of mainly:

Breakfast - 3 egg omlette with a Quorn sausage

Protein shake if I have been doing SLs that day.

Lunch - Butter nut squash soup with a wholemeal pitta bread, sometimes with chicken breast inside.

Dinner - Varies from fish, steak, turkey, chicken with something like sweet potato or brown rice and lots of veg.

Calorie wise I have been hitting around 1500 for a long time now so that needs to be upped I'm guessing.

Caporegime
I may have mis-worded it :p

To put it simply, I've lost 11 stone in a year so my diet and plan is obviously working but at the expense of losing 3lbs a week currently.

By doing SL's I think I have lost predominately fat and not muscle.

Are there any other better routines that I could try that accommodate more to the gaining muscle side of things rather than losing weight. I understand I need to lose a lot of body fat % at the same time though.

My diet at the moment consists of mainly:

Breakfast - 3 egg omlette with a Quorn sausage

Protein shake if I have been doing SLs that day.

Lunch - Butter nut squash soup with a wholemeal pitta bread, sometimes with chicken breast inside.

Dinner - Varies from fish, steak, turkey, chicken with something like sweet potato or brown rice and lots of veg.

Calorie wise I have been hitting around 1500 for a long time now so that needs to be upped I'm guessing.

Right you want to gain lean muscle mass. Eat more.

Associate
And keep my training how it is? What sort of things would you recommend eating, I'm type 2 diabetic (sort of as I don't have the symptoms any more but need to be careful)...

Caporegime
you have lost 11st, thats hell of a cut.
there are 2 ways to lower bodyfat percentage: 1)lose more fat, 2) gain lean mass

take your pick :D

for 1) eat less (or in your case the same as you are losing 3lb a week already)
for 2) eat more :)

Soldato
Wouldn't know without pictures :p. I'd just stick to Stronglifts and continue to the point where you think you've lost enough fat and then change your diet and gain some muscle (unless that's the point you're at now).

Again, what are your current lifts? :D

Associate
Weight wise I'm happy but visually I still have fat under my arms, love handles and a belly!

Its hard to know whats actually fat and whats loose skin as well.

I may post a picture this evening and you lot can see how much further I need to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom