*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did that for about 6 months and didn't really get anywhere. I seem to only be able to lose fat with HIIT.
If you weren't losing weight then you weren't in a calorie deficit.

220lb is pretty heavy, and at a guess you are vastly underestimating your bodyfat at 20%.

What are your best lifts and routine?

More bad news about the new gym, the only BB in the whole gym is the one fixed to the smith machine :(

There is an EZ bar and some flimsy looking York bars that apparently max out at 60kg.

I asked if I could take my own bar in and they said no. They're waiting for a refurb (early 2013) so they won't even consider purchasing/borrowing a single bar :rolleyes:

Should I persevere with it?* I can try and do over head squats and maybe SLDL but even then with SLDL I think the weights will not be heavy enough?

I am still a member of the old gym so I can go back but the work gym is obviously a lot easier and quicker to use. I think I'll have to go back to the old gym and wait until the refurb unless there are some magical exercises I've not heard of.

*Don't actually know why I'm asking because, according to some, I won't bother taking any advice on board :p

Well that's annoying. Still, can get a decent workout going.

What are the db's like? As said, can easily do goblet squats, bulgarian split squats, reverse lunges etc.

Same with chest work, don't theoretically need a barbell, db bench press is just as good as bb really. I'd go as far to say I've seen more progress doing DB work on my chest than BB, more than likely due to form and other factors, but hey, works for me.

Deadlifts on the other hand will be different, especially with bars maxing out at 60kg :o

What are the db's like? As said, can easily do goblet squats, bulgarian split squats, reverse lunges etc.

Same with chest work, don't theoretically need a barbell, db bench press is just as good as bb really. I'd go as far to say I've seen more progress doing DB work on my chest than BB, more than likely due to form and other factors, but hey, works for me.

Deadlifts on the other hand will be different, especially with bars maxing out at 60kg :o

Are smith machine deads definitely a no-no?

Other than the lack of BB the rest of the gym is awesome and it's cheaper too.

This.

Then just do what you can deadlifting. Some is better than nothing even if you have to change to SLDL like you said.

I don't think it is really worth it with the smith deads. You could always just go to the old gym once a week to do them.

Any time.

It's definitely not weird to go somewhere just to do one exercise, I'd do it if my gym wasn't up to scratch. Knowing my gym they will probably decide that bars and plates are too messy and sell everything :mad:.

Are smith machine deads definitely a no-no?

Other than the lack of BB the rest of the gym is awesome and it's cheaper too.

Dom will be able to advise more, but I'd say no, purely as (presuming it's only the up/down type smith machine and not the one with the forwards/back movement as well) you won't be able to get the right motion going due to the bar being fixed.

And ta for the mail *thumbs up*

Any time.

It's definitely not weird to go somewhere just to do one exercise, I'd do it if my gym wasn't up to scratch. Knowing my gym they will probably decide that bars and plates are too messy and sell everything :mad:.

For the combined cost of going to two gyms (single session is £10 a pop at my old gym so I'd be better to pay £35 for the month) I'd be better off joining a gym that is closer to work.

I hear there is one for around £55 a month, might have to check it out because they wouldn't give me a definite date for the refurb of the work gym which was apparently due a few months ago. Sounds iffy.

Just got over my ab DOMS and now have epic leg DOMS from squats (Not that im complaining too much as it they went pretty good). Don't know whats happened during this week because I started with little energy and now the last 2 days, my lifts have just flew up :D OHP felt damn good today, which is a first!

If you weren't losing weight then you weren't in a calorie deficit.

220lb is pretty heavy, and at a guess you are vastly underestimating your bodyfat at 20%.

What are your best lifts and routine?

Had a few months off so cant really remember my full routine.

PB's are as follows:

Deads 160kg x 1
Bench - 110kg x 5
Squats 130kg x 5
OHP - 55kg x 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom